    printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is this
    true?
    , Jun 21, 2006

  2. Pat Guest

    I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    In most circumstances, I think inkjets look better, however it really
    depends on the equipment and software. See what your software
    manufacturer recommends. The easiest think to do, if your software
    company doesn't have a recommendation, is to take a CD (or laptop) to
    the local store and have them print some from each printer and see what
    works the best for your circumstance.

    A lot of the reason inkjets look better tends to be that you can use
    better paper in them -- photo paper. However, some dye sublimnation
    printers are tremendous.

    Pat, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Pat wrote:
    > I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    > spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless you're
    sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom post, unless
    you need to go interspersed. Enough cop for today!

    > In most circumstances, I think inkjets look better, however it really
    > depends on the equipment and software. See what your software
    > manufacturer recommends. The easiest think to do, if your software
    > company doesn't have a recommendation, is to take a CD (or laptop) to
    > the local store and have them print some from each printer and see what
    > works the best for your circumstance.

    Are you, the OP, printing from Photoshop, or .....?

    The concept of trying out printers on exactly what you want to do with
    them is the best route.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 21, 2006
  4. measekite Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    >> spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    > ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless
    > you're sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom post,

    I have carefully read all of the arguments regarding top and bottom
    posts and I find it much more logical to top post because people who
    follow a thread will not have to scroll down and the reply is at the top.

    measekite, Jun 21, 2006
  5. GregS Guest

    In article <Fchmg.47656$>, measekite <> wrote:

    >John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    >>> spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    >> ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless
    >> you're sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom post,

    >I have carefully read all of the arguments regarding top and bottom
    >posts and I find it much more logical to top post because people who
    >follow a thread will not have to scroll down and the reply is at the top.

    The way it is, for many years, you bottom post, its always going to be
    that way, and any other way one might also try to do..Trying to make everyone top post is FUTILE.
    200 years from now, perhaps top posting will be mandatory. There is also
    a case for the blind reading vocalized posts. Of course, don't the arrows
    indicate a posting sequence???

    GregS, Jun 21, 2006
  6. ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:32:32 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    > > I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    > > spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    > ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless you're
    > sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom post, unless
    > you need to go interspersed. Enough cop for today!

    A cop out? :) Not just a grammer mizspellar he, you may or may
    not have caught "The easiest think to do". Skipping other minor
    stuff we approach some really sublime country:

    > However, some dye sublimnation printers are tremendous.

    And some 4"x6" dye sub. printers are really tiny. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 21, 2006
  7. GregS wrote:

    > The way it is, for many years, you bottom post, its always going to be
    > that way, and any other way one might also try to do..Trying to make everyone top post is FUTILE.
    > 200 years from now, perhaps top posting will be mandatory. There is also
    > a case for the blind reading vocalized posts. Of course, don't the arrows
    > indicate a posting sequence???

    There'll always be those who post contrary to givens in any NG, whatever
    the conventions are. One of them is one of the more helpful of folks,
    and I think he's merely set in his ways. The other is a poster who has
    little to say, but says it often, very often. I've suggested folks not
    either talk about him, which I've just done! Damn!, and certainly not
    reply to his monotonous chanting.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 21, 2006
  8. Pete D Guest

    "Rules" are for the blind obedience of fools and the guidance of others.
    Whoever wrote the first guide that said bottom posting was a good idea is a
    dead set moron. I have now worn out twelve mice because bottom posters do
    not snip the rubbish.

    Pete D, Jun 21, 2006
  9. On 21 Jun 2006 10:00:54 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I run a detal prtice and i am begining to digitize my x-ray system,
    >somebody told me that i should buy an inkjet printer over a laser
    >printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is this
    >true?

    In general, yes.

    Inkjet will give you better tonality, but only if all colors
    are involved. An inkjet using only its K (black) nozzles
    won't look all that much better than a laser printer
    (or the laser may win that contest.)

    It's easy enough to turn a BW (bitonal or grayscale)
    image into an RGB image to make that happen, but
    then you can't expect the print to be perfectly neutral --
    ie., it may not be pure gray at every step. That's
    probably not an issue for your purposes.

    Laser printers still generally use halftoning rather than
    error diffusion or stochastic dithering. In other words,
    they will have much more visible "dots" and tonality
    somewhat diminished relative to inkjet. Nowadays
    in a good inkjet printer, the dots are nearly invisible.

    The laser printer will almost always have the lower
    cost-per-copy.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Jun 22, 2006
  10. ColinD Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > "Rules" are for the blind obedience of fools and the guidance of others.
    > Whoever wrote the first guide that said bottom posting was a good idea is a
    > dead set moron. I have now worn out twelve mice because bottom posters do
    > not snip the rubbish.

    Not snipping does not invalidate bottom posting. As for your mice, does
    your keyboard not have a PageDown key?

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Jun 22, 2006
  11. Kevin Agard Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    > spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    > In most circumstances, I think inkjets look better, however it really
    > depends on the equipment and software. See what your software
    > manufacturer recommends. The easiest think to do, if your software

    [SNIP]

    And I doubt you actually meant "The easiest think to do" but would
    suggest that when one is pinging someone else for typos, it behoves them
    not to have any in the post in which they are doing the pinging!
    Kevin Agard, Jun 22, 2006
  12. Poobah Guest

    Kevin Agard <> wrote in news:8jmmg.4890
    $DI2.3557@trnddc05:

    > Pat wrote:
    >> I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    >> spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    >> In most circumstances, I think inkjets look better, however it really
    >> depends on the equipment and software. See what your software
    >> manufacturer recommends. The easiest think to do, if your software

    > [SNIP]
    >
    > And I doubt you actually meant "The easiest think to do" but would
    > suggest that when one is pinging someone else for typos, it behoves them
    > not to have any in the post in which they are doing the pinging!

    Tee-hee! "Behoves"...
    Poobah, Jun 22, 2006
  13. ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:41:02 +0000 (UTC), Poobah wrote:

    >> And I doubt you actually meant "The easiest think to do" but would
    >> suggest that when one is pinging someone else for typos, it behoves
    >> them not to have any in the post in which they are doing the pinging!

    > Tee-hee! "Behoves"...

    Beet me too it.

    And I'm safe, at least according to my spell checker. <g>
    ASAAR, Jun 22, 2006
  14. Pat Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:32:32 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    > > > I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
    > > > spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

    > > ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless you're
    > > sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom post, unless
    > > you need to go interspersed. Enough cop for today!

    > A cop out? :) Not just a grammer mizspellar he, you may or may
    > not have caught "The easiest think to do". Skipping other minor
    > stuff we approach some really sublime country:
    >
    > > However, some dye sublimnation printers are tremendous.

    > And some 4"x6" dye sub. printers are really tiny. :)

    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
    waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat
    ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you
    can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
    ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

    There, I top posted for you guys. Geez. Take a valium. The next
    thing you know, you will want me to call "soccer"; "football".
    Pat, Jun 22, 2006
  15. Frank ess Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:

    >>> ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless
    >>> you're sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom
    >>> post, unless you need to go interspersed. Enough cop for today!

    >> A cop out? :) Not just a grammer mizspellar he, you may or may
    >> not have caught "The easiest think to do". Skipping other minor
    >> stuff we approach some really sublime country:
    >>
    >>> However, some dye sublimnation printers are tremendous.

    >> And some 4"x6" dye sub. printers are really tiny. :)

    > Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer
    > in
    > waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat
    > ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and
    > you
    > can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
    > ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    >
    > There, I top posted for you guys. Geez. Take a valium. The next
    > thing you know, you will want me to call "soccer"; "football".

    smrt alc
    Frank ess, Jun 22, 2006
  16. ASAAR Guest

    On 21 Jun 2006 19:09:07 -0700, Pat got his kicks by writing:

    > There, I top posted for you guys. Geez. Take a valium. The next
    > thing you know, you will want me to call "soccer"; "football".

    Not I. That would just result in more Brazil nuts. Just trying
    to see if I have enough pull to get you to tow the line. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 22, 2006
  17. J. Clarke Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I run a detal prtice and i am begining to digitize my x-ray system,
    > somebody told me that i should buy an inkjet printer over a laser
    > printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is this
    > true?

    Depends on the particular printers you are comparing, but generally yes.
    Google "grayscale ink" and you'll find a large number of hits with relevant
    information. There's a tutorial at <http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm>;
    <http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm> produces grayscale inks and their site
    has considerable discussion of their use. Some printers, for example the
    Epson R2400, 4800, 7800, 9800, HP 8750 and several other HP models, include
    or have available from the manufacturer grayscale inks. In addition the
    color inks are used in combination to fill out the tonality.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Jun 22, 2006
  18. Most inkjet printers are higher resolution than laser printers, and so
    the range of grey steps in the scale would be finer.

    Inkjets can produce photo-like results. Some higher dpi (black) laser
    can produce reasonable greyscale (I'd suggest 800-1200 ppi), but the
    inkjet result will be superior.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Jun 22, 2006
  19. Don Stauffer Guest

    DPI makes a difference. Few decent priced laser printers have a high
    dpi. The higher the dpi of the printer, the greater the number of dots
    in each pseudo-pixel, and hence the higher the grey scale it can use.

    Both laser printers and inkjets use the same sort of diffusion dither to
    create 'mock' halftone cells. The more dots in each cell (a cell is the
    same as a pixel) the more grey tones available. Thus high dpi inkjets
    will have more tones than most lasers.

    Even some of the dye subs dither. While many dye subs can alter the
    amount of ink per dot, on some dye sub printers the amount of variation
    is still not good enough for a large number of shades, so both variation
    of dot size AND dithering are used.
    Don Stauffer, Jun 22, 2006
  20. Guest

    In message <Hnxmg.2$>, Don Stauffer
    <> writes
    >DPI makes a difference. Few decent priced laser printers have a high
    >dpi. The higher the dpi of the printer, the greater the number of dots
    >in each pseudo-pixel, and hence the higher the grey scale it can use.
    >
    >Both laser printers and inkjets use the same sort of diffusion dither
    >to create 'mock' halftone cells. The more dots in each cell (a cell is
    >the same as a pixel) the more grey tones available. Thus high dpi
    >inkjets will have more tones than most lasers.
    >
    >Even some of the dye subs dither. While many dye subs can alter the
    >amount of ink per dot, on some dye sub printers the amount of variation
    >is still not good enough for a large number of shades, so both
    >variation of dot size AND dithering are used.

    But, there is also the matter of bit depth, if you buy a new half decent
    laser it will be able to vary the intensity of each dot, usually either
    a 4 bit depth or 8 bit. As far as I can tell on non-production machines
    this is done by varying the dot size. I _believe_ but haven't been able
    to confirm it, that production machines vary the intensity by some
    method involving the amount of developing that takes place as they tend
    to be two stage prints using developer and toner.

    For instance my new machine here a Minolta Bizhub says 256 shades per
    pixel and 600 dpi - consequently it prints a very nice monochrome (and a
    very nice colour). But the old machine a Canon CLC also said 256 shades
    per pixel and only 400 dpi and it did produce a nicer copy - which it
    should do as its equivalent model today is about 4 times the price of
    the bizhub.

    If you get a decent resolution an old black laser can produce a good
    copy. I remember printing some pictures on an HP IIIP, the dot pattern
    was noticeable if I tried to enlarge during printing, but as long as I
    printed at the printer's 300dpi resolution it was fine, - so an
    1800x1200 picture would get printed 6" x 4"

    --
    Timothy
    , Jun 22, 2006