    Is it worth buying second-hand?

    Thanx

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Russell Smithies

    Andrew Guest

    The Brother 1440/1450 are good printers

    Andrew, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Out from under a rock popped Russell Smithies and said

    > I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    > inkjet carts every few months.
    > It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.

    Before you do check out the cost of the toner cartridges and it's expected
    life. You want to make sure that your cost per page is actually lower with
    the laser.

    Robert Singers, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Russell Smithies

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:15:21 +1200, "Andrew" <> had
    this to say:

    >The Brother 1440/1450 are good printers

    Except toner and drum replacements are hugely expensive
    (comparitively).

    I would highly recommend the Kyocera FS1010
    (http://www.kyocera.com.au/products/nz/fs_1010.html). A little more
    expensive at $829 incl, but a lot more features, the toner is dirt
    cheap (only slightly more than the brother, only twice as much toner),
    and the drum NEVER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. Read that again. This is a
    huge cost-saving, and will save you almost $300 each 15-20K pages
    (which you'll reach surprisingly quickly).

    Also, the print quality is good, it's quick, has more memory, a faster
    processor, and *you don't need to replace the drum*.

    Then again, as you just want it for home use, the Brother would do...

    Gurble, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Russell Smithies

    back again Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Laser printer recommendations ?
    > From: "Russell Smithies" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp,nz.reg.dunedin.general
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    > inkjet carts every few months.
    > It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
    >
    > Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
    > running costs etc.
    > Is it worth buying second-hand?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Russell

    I have an secondhand Apple Laserwriter Pro 630 for sale. It is a 600 dpi
    laser printer, with ethernet, localtalk, parallel, and serial connectors.
    It does postscript and PCL, comes with an exra 500-sheet paper feeder, and
    I think it has an almost full toner cartridge (abut 2kgs of toner), which I
    think are rated at 4 or 5,000 sheets per toner (you'd need to check
    apple.com to confirm).

    If you are interested, or want to make an offer, let me know here and I'll
    email you directly.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    back again, Aug 5, 2003
  6. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:35:44 +1200, "Andrew" <> wrote:

    >"Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:59:48 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    >> >inkjet carts every few months.
    >> >It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
    >> >
    >> >Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
    >> >running costs etc.
    >> >Is it worth buying second-hand?
    >> >
    >> >Thanx
    >> >
    >> >Russell
    >> >

    >> No good for Photos..
    >>

    >Does that really matter if hes not printing photos?

    Seems like you don't have a brain as he did not say..??

    Greg Townsend, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Russell Smithies

    Andrew Guest

    Read the question next time

    i didnt say that he did mention photos, i just asked you if it mattered that
    it doesnt do photos well if he is not printing them

    Andrew, Aug 5, 2003
  8. "Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:59:48 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    > >inkjet carts every few months.
    > >It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
    > >
    > >Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
    > >running costs etc.
    > >Is it worth buying second-hand?
    > >
    > >Thanx
    > >
    > >Russell
    > >

    > No good for Photos..

    I thought I had you on my kill-file?
    Better update it now.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Aug 5, 2003
  9. OT was Re: Laser printer recommendations ?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:28:10 GMT, Robert Singers
    <> proffered, in :

    > Out from under a rock popped Russell Smithies and said
    >
    >> I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking
    >> out for inkjet carts every few months.
    >> It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.

    > Before you do check out the cost of the toner cartridges and it's
    > expected life. You want to make sure that your cost per page is
    > actually lower with the laser.

    Excuse me, Robert, may I plagiarise your excellent X-Face?

    --
    Please do not press this button again

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Aug 5, 2003
  10. Russell Smithies

    Allistar Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:

    > I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    > inkjet carts every few months.
    > It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
    >
    > Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
    > running costs etc.
    > Is it worth buying second-hand?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Russell

    I have an HP Laserjet 1200 which I print to from my main computer at home
    (mandrake 9.1) as well as my wifes computer (Windows 98). It works fine and
    was a breeze to setup using Mandrake. Print quality is very good too. I
    picked it up for just under $400 from an online auction (had only done 1200
    pages!).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 5, 2003
  11. Russell Smithies

    Max Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:24:03 +1200, Greg Townsend
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:59:48 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    >>inkjet carts every few months.
    >>It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
    >>
    >>Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
    >>running costs etc.
    >>Is it worth buying second-hand?
    >>
    >>Thanx
    >>
    >>Russell
    >>

    >No good for Photos..

    Thats why you also have an inkjet.

    Max, Aug 5, 2003
  12. Re: OT was Re: Laser printer recommendations ?

    Out from under a rock popped Max Quordlepleen and said

    > Excuse me, Robert, may I plagiarise your excellent X-Face?

    Go for it.

    Robert Singers, Aug 5, 2003
  13. Russell Smithies

    simondo Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 09:59:48 +1200, Russell Smithies wrote:

    > I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
    > inkjet carts every few months.
    > It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
    >
    > Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
    > running costs etc.
    > Is it worth buying second-hand?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Russell

    I forked out for a Kyocera Mita FS 1010. Not the cheapest in the bunch,
    but I know it's at least Windows/Linux compatible and does a pretty
    decentjob. It's supposed to be very efficient with power (mind you, I
    turn it off if I'm not using it for a while) and the toner's supposed to
    be much cheaper, as you don't have to replace the drum or some such. I
    think the toner cartridges were around $80 or so from memory when I was
    shopping around. I haven't actually managed to use all of the one that
    came with it yet, so I can't precisely remember. I definitely like this
    puppy much better than the HP LaserJet 1100 at work (and even the 5M).

    Look it up at linuxprinting.org . They do comparisons of printers there
    which I found helpful, even if you're not considering using one with
    Linux.

    Cheers,
    simondo

    simondo, Aug 5, 2003
  14. Russell Smithies

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Greg Townsend <> wrote in

    > No good for Photos..

    But then he has an Inkjet so unless it's CRAP he might have considered
    keeping it and so is only interested in laser printers....

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 5, 2003
  15. Russell Smithies

    cobbler© Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 16:32:13 +1200, simondo <>
    wrote:

    Just a hint...The TK - 17 is up to $175...tho I have seen it down to
    $148...
    I had to buy one on Friday.....

    >I forked out for a Kyocera Mita FS 1010. Not the cheapest in the bunch,
    >but I know it's at least Windows/Linux compatible and does a pretty
    >decentjob. It's supposed to be very efficient with power (mind you, I
    >turn it off if I'm not using it for a while) and the toner's supposed to
    >be much cheaper, as you don't have to replace the drum or some such. I
    >think the toner cartridges were around $80 or so from memory when I was
    >shopping around. I haven't actually managed to use all of the one that
    >came with it yet, so I can't precisely remember. I definitely like this
    >puppy much better than the HP LaserJet 1100 at work (and even the 5M).
    >
    >Look it up at linuxprinting.org . They do comparisons of printers there
    >which I found helpful, even if you're not considering using one with
    >Linux.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >simondo

    Cobbler ©

    : Take out the " Spam " to reply

    cobbler©, Aug 5, 2003
  16. Russell Smithies

    Ralph Guest

    Have you thought about getting a refill kit for the Inkjet?
    I have one for my Canon and it is way cheaper than new cartridges.

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, Aug 5, 2003
  17. "Ralph" <6.com> wrote in message
    > Have you thought about getting a refill kit for the Inkjet?
    > I have one for my Canon and it is way cheaper than new cartridges.

    Ugh... Clogging and blotting all the way.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 5, 2003
  18. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:12:31 +1000, "Ralph" <6.com>
    wrote:

    >Have you thought about getting a refill kit for the Inkjet?
    >I have one for my Canon and it is way cheaper than new cartridges.

    Not with new Epsons..

    Greg Townsend, Aug 5, 2003
  19. Re: OT was Re: Laser printer recommendations ?

    Robert Singers <> writes:

    >> Excuse me, Robert, may I plagiarise your excellent X-Face?

    > Go for it.

    Whakawhetai.

    --
    Agent - The second-best Windows newsreader.

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Aug 5, 2003
  20. Russell Smithies

    Vogan Guest

    Where exactly did he say that he wanted to print photos?

    Vaughan

    Vogan, Aug 5, 2003