    The smell is very strong and I should say that the toner is very low in case
    that has something to do with it, as this smell has come out of the blue,
    gone from nothing to very strong.

    krypton, Jul 14, 2003

  2. krypton

    TEX Guest

    To me, ozone smells like a "tarty" dry smell. It is very destinctive. I
    suppose it could smell like those old purple transfer thingys from the
    old school days, but not quiet strong. I always though that the purple
    stuff smelled quiet sweet/sour....good enough to eat :)

    Ozone is not the best thing to be around for ages, but if you are only
    using it occasionally, I can't see it being a problem.

    TEX

    TEX, Jul 14, 2003

  3. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:35:11 +1200, krypton wrote:

    > It doesn't sound like I am smelling ozone then, I know what slot cars smell
    > like, I wish I knew exactly what that purple
    > printed paper was that I was talking about so I could explain better,

    Gestetner, IIRC. (It's been a while - or maybe those were the stencil
    printers we had at primary school..)

    ISTR my mother (a teacher) referring to them as "banders"

    > it was
    > a very strong and distinctive smell, a little like some felt pens can smell
    > but different, but very strong as I say, although not unpleasant, quite nice
    > in some ways actually.

    The smell is white spirits.

    > The purple print process was quite crude as the print
    > use to look like it was bleeding.

    Yes, it was pretty nasty, Schools still use them BTW.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 14, 2003
  4. krypton

    pete Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:35:11 +1200, krypton wrote:
    >

    > > It doesn't sound like I am smelling ozone then, I know what slot cars

    smell
    > > like, I wish I knew exactly what that purple
    > > printed paper was that I was talking about so I could explain better,

    > Gestetner, IIRC. (It's been a while - or maybe those were the stencil
    > printers we had at primary school..)
    >
    > ISTR my mother (a teacher) referring to them as "banders"

    <Pedant mode on> Banda - and it is a trade name derived from the
    makers, "Block and Anderson". <pedant mode off>

    Using one of these in an enclosed space got interesting after a while.

    pete, Jul 15, 2003
  5. krypton

    pete Guest

    "krypton" <dfgf@fefdfd> wrote in message news:3f121d5c$...
    > What does ozone smell like, my laser printer may or maynot need it's

    filter
    > replacing, I would prefer not to though because of the cost and what I

    have
    > spent on it already, and besides I do not use it heavily, only print maybe
    > 20 pages at once and would rarely print more than this in a day. Anyhow I
    > just noticed the room I have my laserjet III in has a smell that smells

    like
    > those purple ink printed pages you used to get at school years ago, this
    > is the first time I have noticed this smell and I have just printed out
    > about 20 pages so could this be ozone I am smelling.
    >
    > The smell is very strong and I should say that the toner is very low in

    case
    > that has something to do with it, as this smell has come out of the blue,
    > gone from nothing to very strong.

    The carbon filter at the right hand end of the fuser should be absorbing the
    ozone
    - must be pretty past its use-by date. You can try removing the fan and
    blowing
    gently thru it. They get pretty crumbly with age - handle gently and do it
    with the
    power off - the power supply is right below and if the filter falls apart
    and ends up
    in the psu it (the psu) will go bang .
    Also if the fan that draws air thru this filter isn't working, that will
    allow the smell
    to escape. The standard fan is a drum type with bronze bushes that seize.
    Replacement fans are a conventional impeller type (eg P4 CPU cooler type
    fan)
    IIRC they are 5v DC

    pete, Jul 15, 2003
  6. On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:55:16 +1200, "pete" <> wrote:

    >"krypton" <dfgf@fefdfd> wrote in message news:3f121d5c$...
    >> What does ozone smell like, my laser printer may or maynot need it's

    >filter
    >> replacing, I would prefer not to though because of the cost and what I

    >have
    >> spent on it already, and besides I do not use it heavily, only print maybe
    >> 20 pages at once and would rarely print more than this in a day. Anyhow I
    >> just noticed the room I have my laserjet III in has a smell that smells

    >like
    >> those purple ink printed pages you used to get at school years ago, this
    >> is the first time I have noticed this smell and I have just printed out
    >> about 20 pages so could this be ozone I am smelling.
    >>
    >> The smell is very strong and I should say that the toner is very low in

    >case
    >> that has something to do with it, as this smell has come out of the blue,
    >> gone from nothing to very strong.
    >>

    >The carbon filter at the right hand end of the fuser should be absorbing the
    >ozone
    > - must be pretty past its use-by date. You can try removing the fan and
    >blowing
    >gently thru it. They get pretty crumbly with age - handle gently and do it
    >with the
    >power off - the power supply is right below and if the filter falls apart
    >and ends up
    >in the psu it (the psu) will go bang .
    >Also if the fan that draws air thru this filter isn't working, that will
    >allow the smell
    >to escape. The standard fan is a drum type with bronze bushes that seize.
    >Replacement fans are a conventional impeller type (eg P4 CPU cooler type
    >fan)
    >IIRC they are 5v DC

    Ozone is a Normal Problem at this time of the Year with lot of things, as its
    due to the Condensation & Dampness.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 15, 2003
  7. krypton

    Rob King Guest

    "krypton" <dfgf@fefdfd> wrote in message news:3f121d5c$...
    > What does ozone smell like, my laser printer may or maynot need it's

    filter
    > replacing, I would prefer not to though because of the cost and what I

    have
    > spent on it already, and besides I do not use it heavily, only print maybe
    > 20 pages at once and would rarely print more than this in a day. Anyhow I
    > just noticed the room I have my laserjet III in has a smell that smells

    like
    > those purple ink printed pages you used to get at school years ago, this
    > is the first time I have noticed this smell and I have just printed out
    > about 20 pages so could this be ozone I am smelling.
    >
    > The smell is very strong and I should say that the toner is very low in

    case
    > that has something to do with it, as this smell has come out of the blue,
    > gone from nothing to very strong.

    I was under the impression that ozone is that smell you get when it rains on
    a sunny day.

    Rob King, Jul 15, 2003
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:35:11 +1200, krypton wrote:
    >

    > > It doesn't sound like I am smelling ozone then, I know what slot cars smell
    > > like, I wish I knew exactly what that purple
    > > printed paper was that I was talking about so I could explain better,

    > Gestetner, IIRC. (It's been a while - or maybe those were the stencil
    > printers we had at primary school..)
    >
    > ISTR my mother (a teacher) referring to them as "banders"
    >
    > > it was
    > > a very strong and distinctive smell, a little like some felt pens can smell
    > > but different, but very strong as I say, although not unpleasant, quite nice
    > > in some ways actually.

    > The smell is white spirits.

    The "purple" process is quite different from Gstettners. They use a blend
    of higher alcohols to dissolve pigments off a proud matrix on to the
    paper.

    The main smell component is probably isopropanol with a few other
    solvents thrown in; I used to have a good idea of what they are but sadly
    that was 35 years ago ...

    Gstettners o.t.o.h. use real printers ink which is squeezed through a
    holed matrix that is punched through and lies on a cloth/belt. Very
    different solvents (and much harder to clean off anything if things go
    awry).

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 15, 2003
  9. krypton

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <oFRQa.5030$>,
    says...

    > "krypton" <dfgf@fefdfd> wrote in message news:3f121d5c$...
    > > What does ozone smell like, my laser printer may or maynot need it's

    > filter
    > > replacing, I would prefer not to though because of the cost and what I

    > have
    > > spent on it already, and besides I do not use it heavily, only print maybe
    > > 20 pages at once and would rarely print more than this in a day. Anyhow I
    > > just noticed the room I have my laserjet III in has a smell that smells

    > like
    > > those purple ink printed pages you used to get at school years ago, this
    > > is the first time I have noticed this smell and I have just printed out
    > > about 20 pages so could this be ozone I am smelling.
    > >
    > > The smell is very strong and I should say that the toner is very low in

    > case
    > > that has something to do with it, as this smell has come out of the blue,
    > > gone from nothing to very strong.

    > I was under the impression that ozone is that smell you get when it rains on
    > a sunny day.

    Ozone is produced by high voltage discharge.

    Mainlander, Jul 22, 2003