    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain

    Citizen Bob, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Citizen Bob

    Abe Guest

    Abe, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:37:44 -0700, Abe <> wrote:

    >>What is a good, safe laser lens cleaner for a standard DVDR?

    >I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
    >http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=1;13;227;229&a=info&pid=120

    I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
    carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
    were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Citizen Bob, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Citizen Bob

    Mark Jones Guest

    Citizen Bob wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:37:44 -0700, Abe <> wrote:
    >
    >>> What is a good, safe laser lens cleaner for a standard DVDR?

    >> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
    >> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=1;13;227;229&a=info&pid=120

    > I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
    > carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
    > were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

    I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
    fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
    lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
    built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
    the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
    with the disks that will not work in the other players.

    Mark Jones, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Citizen Bob

    Abe Guest

    >>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
    >>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=1;13;227;229&a=info&pid=120

    >> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
    >> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
    >> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

    >I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
    >fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
    >lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
    >built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
    >the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
    >with the disks that will not work in the other players.

    Yeah, for anything more than light dust, you have to get in there and
    manually clean the lens.

    Abe, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Citizen Bob

    Jeff Guest

    "Mark Jones" <> wrote in news:bNhQg.14197$bM.2909
    @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > Citizen Bob wrote:

    >>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
    >>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=1;13;227;229&a=info&pid=120

    >> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
    >> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
    >> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

    > I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
    > fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
    > lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
    > built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
    > the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
    > with the disks that will not work in the other players.

    I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
    ammonia in Windex could damage it

    Jeff, Sep 21, 2006
  7. On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:47:03 GMT, "Mark Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Citizen Bob wrote:

    >>> I've had good luck with the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (DVD-LC)
    >>> http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=1;13;227;229&a=info&pid=120

    >> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
    >> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general they
    >> were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

    >I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
    >fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
    >lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
    >built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
    >the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
    >with the disks that will not work in the other players.

    You should use the Windex product that does not contain ammonia.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Sep 21, 2006
  8. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I had zero luck using one of those.

    I got the Maxell Lens Cleaner at WalMart for $10 and used it on both
    my DVD Recorder and my DVD Player.

    For the DVD Recorder, it took several passes before I could even see
    the pictures on the DVD. Then it acted erratic until I made several
    more passes. Finally I got it clean enough that it worked properly.

    For the DVD Player it cleaned up a lot faster, but then we do not use
    it as much as the DVD Recorder.

    If this problem happens again, I will have to take the cover off and
    clean the lens manually - and clean the dirt out of other parts.

    But the good news is that the units both are functioning properly.

    Citizen Bob, Sep 21, 2006
  9. Citizen Bob

    Mark Jones Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > "Mark Jones" <> wrote in
    > news:bNhQg.14197$bM.2909 @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    >> Citizen Bob wrote:

    >>> I checked with WalMart and that's the only DVD Lens Cleaner they
    >>> carry. The reviews on amazon.com were a bit mixed, but in general
    >>> they were favorable. Thanks for the recommendation.

    >> I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
    >> fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
    >> lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
    >> built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
    >> the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
    >> with the disks that will not work in the other players.
    >>

    > I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
    > ammonia in Windex could damage it

    I repair a wide variety of optical equipment for a living and have
    never had Windex damage anything. It works better on most things
    than denatured alcohol or similar cleaners. What you want to avoid
    is acetone. It will melt plastic.

    Mark Jones, Sep 21, 2006
  10. Citizen Bob

    Mike Walsh Guest

    While a single use of Windex probably won't do any noticeable damage, repeated use of ammonia could, depending on the type of plastic, eventually cloud a plastic lens. Better to use something such as Glass Plus, which does not contain ammonia and is safe to use on plastic.

    Mark Jones wrote:

    > > I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
    > > ammonia in Windex could damage it

    > I repair a wide variety of optical equipment for a living and have
    > never had Windex damage anything. It works better on most things
    > than denatured alcohol or similar cleaners. What you want to avoid
    > is acetone. It will melt plastic.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:33:47 -0400, Mike Walsh <>
    wrote:

    >While a single use of Windex probably won't do any noticeable damage, repeated use of ammonia could, depending on the type of plastic, eventually cloud a plastic lens. Better to use something such as Glass Plus, which does not contain ammonia and is safe to use on plastic.

    How about contact lens cleaners?

    Citizen Bob, Sep 21, 2006
  12. Citizen Bob

    Mike Walsh Guest

    There are probably many things that can be used to safely clean plastic lenses. I use Glass Plus because it is inexpensive and I always have it, mainly because it does not damage things on my vehicles such as light covers, wiper blades, etc.

    Mike Walsh, Sep 21, 2006
  13. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <vqvQg.14501$>, "Mark Jones" <> wrote:
    >Jeff wrote:
    >> "Mark Jones" <> wrote in
    >> news:bNhQg.14197$bM.2909 @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    >>> I had zero luck using one of those. I bought a new DVD player, but
    >>> fairly soon I intend to take my two DVD players apart and clean the
    >>> lenses using Windex and a lens tissue. Mine act like there is a film
    >>> built up on the lenses because the both have problems even when
    >>> the disk is new. The new player does not have any problems
    >>> with the disks that will not work in the other players.
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't recommend Windex. The lens is most likely plastic and the
    >> ammonia in Windex could damage it

    >I repair a wide variety of optical equipment for a living and have
    >never had Windex damage anything. It works better on most things
    >than denatured alcohol or similar cleaners. What you want to avoid
    >is acetone. It will melt plastic.

    Unless there is some greasy substance on the lens you should be using
    neither. A quick blast of compressed air should do he trick.

    GMAN, Sep 21, 2006
  14. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Mike Walsh <> wrote:

    >While a single use of Windex probably won't do any noticeable damage, repeated
    > use of ammonia could, depending on the type of plastic, eventually cloud a
    > plastic lens. Better to use something such as Glass Plus, which does not
    > contain ammonia and is safe to use on plastic.

    Or eyeglass cleaner specifically formulated for use with plastic lenses.

    GMAN, Sep 21, 2006
  15. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:47:03 GMT, "Mark Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I had zero luck using one of those.

    >I got the Maxell Lens Cleaner at WalMart for $10 and used it on both
    >my DVD Recorder and my DVD Player.
    >
    >For the DVD Recorder, it took several passes before I could even see
    >the pictures on the DVD. Then it acted erratic until I made several
    >more passes. Finally I got it clean enough that it worked properly.

    I hope i am not being too obtrusive, but do you smoke? Or live in a very damp
    or dusty area of the US?

    GMAN, Sep 21, 2006
  16. Citizen Bob

    Deke Guest

    "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:47:03 GMT, "Mark Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I had zero luck using one of those.

    > I got the Maxell Lens Cleaner at WalMart for $10 and used it on both
    > my DVD Recorder and my DVD Player.
    >
    > For the DVD Recorder, it took several passes before I could even see
    > the pictures on the DVD. Then it acted erratic until I made several
    > more passes. Finally I got it clean enough that it worked properly.
    >
    > For the DVD Player it cleaned up a lot faster, but then we do not use
    > it as much as the DVD Recorder.
    >
    > If this problem happens again, I will have to take the cover off and
    > clean the lens manually - and clean the dirt out of other parts.
    >
    > But the good news is that the units both are functioning properly.

    Cigarette smoke?

    Deke, Sep 22, 2006
  17. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:48:51 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >>For the DVD Recorder, it took several passes before I could even see
    >>the pictures on the DVD. Then it acted erratic until I made several
    >>more passes. Finally I got it clean enough that it worked properly.

    >I hope i am not being too obtrusive, but do you smoke?

    No, our house is smoke free.

    >Or live in a very damp

    Houston, Texas. Indeed it is very damp. Mold is a constant threat. But
    I run an air conditioner which keeps the relative humidity around 50%.

    >or dusty area of the US?

    Not especially. We have mostly foliage and asphalt covering the
    ground.

    >>But the good news is that the units both are functioning properly.

    Well, almost perfectly. The ILO is balking once in a while and I have
    to cycle the tray to get it to read the disc properly. I may have to
    take it apart. But until I do, I will use the Maxell lens cleaner
    again.

    I have been participating on these forums for a year and have heard
    complaints about all the units, from the best to the worst. It seems
    that brand name and cost of unit have nothing to do with how long it
    will last. Maybe the way to go about this until the manufacturers get
    their act together, is buy a cheap unit from Best Buy and get a 2 year
    extended warranty. The total price would be less than an expensive
    unit alone and it would be Best Buy who eats bad units, not me.

    Citizen Bob, Sep 22, 2006
  18. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:26:29 -0500, "Deke" <no >
    wrote:

    >> But the good news is that the units both are functioning properly.

    >Cigarette smoke?

    No. However the ILO unit is still acting up although not nearly as bad
    as before I used the Maxell Lens Cleaner on it. I may have to take the
    cover off and clean it manually.

    Citizen Bob, Sep 22, 2006
  19. Citizen Bob

    Capn Queeg Guest

    Ammonia should never be used on polycarbonate plastics which is commonly
    used in laser optics. Ammonia while cause the plastic to eventually break
    down. Any owner of LaserDiscs knows this.

    Refer to table 7 "Matierals NOT Recommended for use with TUFFAK A
    Polycarbonate Sheet" from the document "TUFFAK A Polycarbone Sheet Physical
    Properties":

    http://www.plexiglas.com/literature/pdf/93.pdf

    Capn Queeg, Sep 26, 2006
  20. Citizen Bob

    Capn Queeg Guest

    Ammonia should not be used on polycarbonates, commonly used for laser
    optics. Ammonia may not cloud polycarbonates but it will make it brittle
    and eventually hairline surface cracks can form.

    Capn Queeg, Sep 26, 2006