    Sample:
    [​IMG]
    I think I just might have to give these folks a try. I gave up on www.xport1.com a while ago. Nothing but excuses there. :cry:

    bigal, Nov 11, 2005

  2. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Does it have to be laser? What about hand etched? I do my own etching and if you've got an image that you want I could do a hand etch for you. It's more expensive but then, it is hand done artwork and not some lame machine done stuff.

    The Modfather, Nov 11, 2005

  3. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The real trick here...

    ....is the blackout of the window, where the cold cathode light from within shines through. I don't think you have a method of blacking out the window, assuming that just painting the window with black paint won't give the same effect.
    I have several laser-etched windows, and for a detailed image, I can't imagine how doing it by hand will provide the same level of detail. Do you have some pictures of your hand-etched windows? :p

    bigal, Nov 11, 2005
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah, you put one of them in the screensaver, remember? The whole Titan rig is hand etched. The Indian head on the Chopper is also hand etched.
    If you want a deep etch, more of an engraving, that's a different story. And I'm not sure what you mean by blacking out, you mean just a spot where it's blanked so you don't see the CCFL?

    The Modfather, Nov 11, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh yeah...

    ..I forgot about the pictures in the screensaver.
    Anyway, I am talking about a deeper etch, and one that is photo-realistic. The blackout area is large - all areas of the window not etched are blacked out, as far as I can tell.

    bigal, Nov 11, 2005
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Oh... Hmm, never seen that before... I guess that would work though. I've wanted to experiment with getting a window to light up that way, doing a deep engraving and using LED's. Initially I was going to do that on the Chopper but I could never get the damned LEDs to work. Dunno if it'd do the trick though since that's not a very deep etching on that plexi and it's just a thin sheet, like 1/8th".

    The Modfather, Nov 12, 2005
  7. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    easiest way to do that sorta stuff is laser, it cuts very finely, so there would be no stuff ups (maybe would depends on the machine and machine user).
    What do u mean by couldn't get the LED's to work?
    Did u get the wrong Voltage, or just just got faulty ones? :|

    unholy, Nov 13, 2005
  8. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I'm not totally sure, I got them in large lots, like 1000 LEDs in a big bag, yellow, red and uv ones, we tried switching them out but never could get it to work. I wanted to avoid having to use a resistor so we tried to get the voltage matched but still had no luck so we just scrapped the idea outright.

    The Modfather, Nov 13, 2005
  9. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    So you have a bag of 1000 red, yellow and UV LEDs? Can I have them? :p

    XhArD, Nov 13, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can imagine XhArD at the site of a shooting...

    ....and he's standing there, going through the dead guys wallet, saying to himself, "Well self, he can't use these credit cards anymore, so go ahead and run up some charges!"..... :gnite:

    bigal, Nov 13, 2005
  11. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Well he doesn't seem to want them, so...

    XhArD, Nov 14, 2005
  12. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i say give it out for a prize, *no assurance they work :D*

    unholy, Nov 14, 2005
  13. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Heh, I'm not even sure I know where they are. They're over my pop's house, everything was moved to the upstairs computer room from the front downstairs room by mom and her friend over 2 months ago and it's like a treasure hunt to locate stuff now. They're there somewhere, I know that, but where is another story. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 14, 2005
  14. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    the story of where the LED are hidden:

    one day... in the top draw, left side. right at the back :D

    unholy, Nov 14, 2005
  15. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Ain't no drawers in that room, lots of shelves, plastic storage boxes, three desks without drawers (Ikea type stuff), a bookcase, that's it. But it's all stacked floor to ceiling with computer crap. Everything from parts for modding to old Atari 8-bit stuff to a Commodore Pet 4032 and other CP/M stuff, ATR-8000s, Apefaces, Happy drives, etc etc.. Lots of STUFF.

    The Modfather, Nov 15, 2005
  16. bigal

    Ludnix

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    125
    Location:
    Eureka California
    I'm surprised the company doesn't have any premade HL2 ones, seems like something that would sell.

    Ludnix, Nov 17, 2005
  17. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    well, one day modfather i will fly over and we can sort the room out for ya :D

    unholy, Nov 18, 2005
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hehehe... Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, but, better than that, help me sort out MY office, my dad can get someone else to help him with his. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 18, 2005
  19. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    how about i do both and steal what ever u dont want :D

    unholy, Nov 19, 2005
  20. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Well if we don't want it, it wouldn't so much be stealing as trash picking. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 19, 2005