Laser DVD 8X with Lite-On and Pioneer drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sticky, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    I now believe anything.

    I have a Lite-On LDW851S (GSOP) and a Pioneer DVR-109

    Using cheap Lazer 8X DVD-R media the Lite-On writes the whole DVD at
    4X (according to Nero) perfectly. BUT it only writes about 75% of the
    disc, the last 25% just isn't there. The burn LED stays lit until the
    very end but it's not burning. After that the same drive can't read
    the disk, it won't even mount the bastard.

    At 2X it's fine *every* time, at 4X it's crap every time.

    With TDK 16X media it's ok burning at 8X !

    The Pioneer writes all the data at 4X to the Lazer media perfectly
    every time.

    Can anyone explain this to me?

    I make a habit of always burning at half rated speed, in the past this
    has been good practise.

    The May 2005 issue of Aust PC User magazine seems to agree with
    "Thing" that Lazer media is crap. I understand there is a lot of data
    out there on media but I'm never sure which media manufacturer is
    behind it.

    What do others think ?

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Sticky

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:40:11 +1200, Sticky <>
    wrote:

    >I now believe anything.
    >
    >I have a Lite-On LDW851S (GSOP) and a Pioneer DVR-109
    >
    >Using cheap Lazer 8X DVD-R media the Lite-On writes the whole DVD at
    >4X (according to Nero) perfectly. BUT it only writes about 75% of the
    >disc, the last 25% just isn't there. The burn LED stays lit until the
    >very end but it's not burning. After that the same drive can't read
    >the disk, it won't even mount the bastard.
    >
    >At 2X it's fine *every* time, at 4X it's crap every time.
    >
    >With TDK 16X media it's ok burning at 8X !
    >
    >The Pioneer writes all the data at 4X to the Lazer media perfectly
    >every time.
    >
    >Can anyone explain this to me?
    >
    >I make a habit of always burning at half rated speed, in the past this
    >has been good practise.
    >
    >The May 2005 issue of Aust PC User magazine seems to agree with
    >"Thing" that Lazer media is crap. I understand there is a lot of data
    >out there on media but I'm never sure which media manufacturer is
    >behind it.
    >
    >What do others think ?

    I found the 4x Laser DVD-R (SKC) the worst I tested. I have always
    burnt at the slowest available speed. Use DVDIdentifier or DVDInfoPro
    to get the media ID.

    After every burn I always scan with Nero CD-DVD Speed, but from now on
    I will test more with KProbe2 (more informative). You could have had
    a few dud samples.

    GraB, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Sticky

    MarkH Guest

    Sticky <> wrote in news:42d0dd90$:

    > I have a Lite-On LDW851S (GSOP) and a Pioneer DVR-109
    >
    > Using cheap Lazer 8X DVD-R media the Lite-On writes the whole DVD at
    > 4X (according to Nero) perfectly. BUT it only writes about 75% of the
    > disc, the last 25% just isn't there. The burn LED stays lit until the
    > very end but it's not burning. After that the same drive can't read
    > the disk, it won't even mount the bastard.
    >
    > At 2X it's fine *every* time, at 4X it's crap every time.
    >
    > With TDK 16X media it's ok burning at 8X !
    >
    > The Pioneer writes all the data at 4X to the Lazer media perfectly
    > every time.

    My Pioneer DVR-108 has no problems writing and verifying the Lazer 8x disks
    at 8x speed. I have written and verified over 50 of these disks without an
    error.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)

    MarkH, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Sticky

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:04:16 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Sticky <> wrote in news:42d0dd90$:
    >
    >> I have a Lite-On LDW851S (GSOP) and a Pioneer DVR-109
    >>
    >> Using cheap Lazer 8X DVD-R media the Lite-On writes the whole DVD at
    >> 4X (according to Nero) perfectly. BUT it only writes about 75% of the
    >> disc, the last 25% just isn't there. The burn LED stays lit until the
    >> very end but it's not burning. After that the same drive can't read
    >> the disk, it won't even mount the bastard.
    >>
    >> At 2X it's fine *every* time, at 4X it's crap every time.
    >>
    >> With TDK 16X media it's ok burning at 8X !
    >>
    >> The Pioneer writes all the data at 4X to the Lazer media perfectly
    >> every time.

    >My Pioneer DVR-108 has no problems writing and verifying the Lazer 8x disks
    >at 8x speed. I have written and verified over 50 of these disks without an
    >error.

    DVD+R or DVD-R? There is quite a difference.

    GraB, Jul 10, 2005
  5. Sticky

    MarkH Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:04:16 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sticky <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a Lite-On LDW851S (GSOP) and a Pioneer DVR-109
    >>>
    >>> Using cheap Lazer 8X DVD-R media the Lite-On writes the whole DVD at
    >>> 4X (according to Nero) perfectly. BUT it only writes about 75% of
    >>> the disc, the last 25% just isn't there. The burn LED stays lit
    >>> until the very end but it's not burning. After that the same drive
    >>> can't read the disk, it won't even mount the bastard.
    >>>
    >>> At 2X it's fine *every* time, at 4X it's crap every time.
    >>>
    >>> With TDK 16X media it's ok burning at 8X !
    >>>
    >>> The Pioneer writes all the data at 4X to the Lazer media perfectly
    >>> every time.

    >>My Pioneer DVR-108 has no problems writing and verifying the Lazer 8x
    >>disks at 8x speed. I have written and verified over 50 of these disks
    >>without an error.

    > DVD+R or DVD-R? There is quite a difference.

    I am talking about the same ones as quoted by the OP - the DVD-R media.

    The disks I have are Lazer 8x DVD-R with printable surface (white) from PB
    Tech.

    MarkH, Jul 10, 2005
  6. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > GraB <> wrote in
    >

    >>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:04:16 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sticky <> wrote in

    snip

    >>>My Pioneer DVR-108 has no problems writing and verifying the Lazer 8x
    >>>disks at 8x speed. I have written and verified over 50 of these disks
    >>>without an error.

    >>DVD+R or DVD-R? There is quite a difference.

    > I am talking about the same ones as quoted by the OP - the DVD-R media.
    >
    > The disks I have are Lazer 8x DVD-R with printable surface (white) from PB
    > Tech.

    Mine are exactly the same type and from the same supplier (Label :
    DVBLAS3150). PB Tech Wellington refused to replace them since I bought
    them at the Auckland store :-(

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Sticky

    MarkH Guest

    Sticky <> wrote in news:42d242d4$:

    > Mine are exactly the same type and from the same supplier (Label :
    > DVBLAS3150). PB Tech Wellington refused to replace them since I bought
    > them at the Auckland store :-(

    Apparently the different PB Tech stores are owned independently and each do
    their own purchasing and pricing. So no surprise that you can't return
    disks to one store when they were purchased from someone else.

    It does sound like the disks are OK though, just some compatibility issue
    with your drive.

    MarkH, Jul 11, 2005