    bryan knott Guest

    Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
    laser?

    bryan knott, Sep 24, 2003

  2. bryan knott wrote:
    > Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
    > laser?

    Yes, and in more different issues than you could imagine.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.

    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 24, 2003

  3. bryan  knott

    roy Guest

    "bryan knott" <> wrote in message
    > Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
    > laser?

    yes......even remastered THX.... (no Dolby Digital however)

    2 versions (there where more non-THX ones...but only these 2 editions are
    worthwhile)
    1. The Definitive Edition: (1993) Big black box with the 3 movies in CAV
    format (9 discs), interviews, making off and a book. Watch out : The initial
    release on this title contained a mastering error on side 3. There were
    approximately 7 seconds of footage missing of TESB. Image Entertainment
    corrected the error and offered replacement discs to buyers. Further
    pressings of the set also contained the corrected side 3.
    Also reports of laserrot (including 1 disc of my copy...luckily replaced by
    retailer)

    2 The so called 'faces' editions. 3 seperate CLV discs using the same
    transfer as the big black box came out a few years later (1995) with a
    second pressing run in 1997.
    The first ones where made by Pioneer USA (with the usual drop-outs for which
    Pioneer USA was 'famous'), the second run made by Kuraray Japan...as usual
    perfect!!!

    Have fun,
    Roy

    roy, Sep 24, 2003
  4. They were, but Lucas had a federal judge declare them "outlaw" editions
    because they were inconsistant with his "original vision".
    A court order for a recall of the discs (not the vhs tapes, as Lucas figured
    they didn't have the quality of LD's and would probably wear out soon
    enough) went out in 1999, stating the owners of the original Trilogy LD's
    were required to turn them in to any major local video store or merchant
    such as Suncoast, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and Movie Gallery - they
    would receive $15.00 per disc.
    Anyone not turning their SW LD's in is subject to an ongoing lawsuit filed
    by Lucasarts against those LD owners who insist on keeping "high quality
    copies of films inconsistant with the creator's original vision".
    Lucasarts' team of lawyers have been busy since late '99, looking over sales
    recorts of different companies which sold SW LD's, to obtain the names an
    addresses of the purchasers, then comapring them to the recall list - if you
    purchased SW LD's and you didn't turn them in, chances are you've already
    been sent a subpoena (unless you can prove you no longer have them - this is
    usually accomplished by a search of your home - with your consent, of
    course - who wouln't consent if it meant avoiding a lawsuit?).
    People are parting with their SW LD's like nobody's business - why do you
    think so many are up for acution on ebay?
    Lucasarts' team of lawyers also monitor ebay, ready to pounce on anyone
    purchasing the original SW trilogy LD's, as the discs "compromise George
    Lucas' artistic integrity."
    So far over 3500 people have been sucessfully sued, some individuals paying
    Lucasarts up to $1500.00!!!
    Some people are finding a way around this by borrowing the LD's and copying
    them to DVD, thanks to the increasing popularity of DVD recorders, but even
    this tactic may not be enough - Lucasarts has filed petition with the
    Department of Homeland Security to request that every home in America be
    searched for "outlaw" Star Wars material on the grounds that, if it hurts
    Lucasarts, it hurts America, and therefore could be construed to be a "form
    of terrorism".

    Latest word has it that Lucas is also looking to outlaw Spaceballs: The
    Movie as a SW ripoff; however, he declined to comment on whether he would
    also attempt to ban Spaceballs: the Lunchbox, or the Yogurt doll.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Sep 24, 2003
  5. You almost had me going for a second :)

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Sep 24, 2003
  6. bryan  knott

    MetzLan Guest

    "roy" <> wrote in message
    > 1. The Definitive Edition: (1993) Big black box with the 3 movies in CAV
    > format (9 discs), interviews, making off and a book. Watch out : The

    initial
    > release on this title contained a mastering error on side 3. There were
    > approximately 7 seconds of footage missing of TESB. Image Entertainment
    > corrected the error and offered replacement discs to buyers. Further
    > pressings of the set also contained the corrected side 3.
    > Also reports of laserrot (including 1 disc of my copy...luckily replaced

    by
    > retailer)

    What is TESB?

    MetzLan, Sep 24, 2003
  7. bryan  knott

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "MetzLan" <> wrote in message
    > What is TESB?

    The
    Empire
    Strikes
    Back

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 24, 2003
  8. bryan  knott

    d a v e Guest

    "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    > They were, but Lucas had a federal judge declare them "outlaw" editions
    > because they were inconsistant with his "original vision".
    > A court order for a recall of the discs (not the vhs tapes, as Lucas

    figured
    > they didn't have the quality of LD's and would probably wear out soon
    > enough) went out in 1999, stating the owners of the original Trilogy LD's
    > were required to turn them in to any major local video store or merchant
    > such as Suncoast, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and Movie Gallery - they
    > would receive $15.00 per disc.
    > Anyone not turning their SW LD's in is subject to an ongoing lawsuit filed
    > by Lucasarts against those LD owners who insist on keeping "high quality
    > copies of films inconsistant with the creator's original vision".
    > Lucasarts' team of lawyers have been busy since late '99, looking over

    sales
    > recorts of different companies which sold SW LD's, to obtain the names an
    > addresses of the purchasers, then comapring them to the recall list - if

    you
    > purchased SW LD's and you didn't turn them in, chances are you've already
    > been sent a subpoena (unless you can prove you no longer have them - this

    is
    > usually accomplished by a search of your home - with your consent, of
    > course - who wouln't consent if it meant avoiding a lawsuit?).
    > People are parting with their SW LD's like nobody's business - why do you
    > think so many are up for acution on ebay?
    > Lucasarts' team of lawyers also monitor ebay, ready to pounce on anyone
    > purchasing the original SW trilogy LD's, as the discs "compromise George
    > Lucas' artistic integrity."
    > So far over 3500 people have been sucessfully sued, some individuals

    paying
    > Lucasarts up to $1500.00!!!
    > Some people are finding a way around this by borrowing the LD's and

    copying
    > them to DVD, thanks to the increasing popularity of DVD recorders, but

    even
    > this tactic may not be enough - Lucasarts has filed petition with the
    > Department of Homeland Security to request that every home in America be
    > searched for "outlaw" Star Wars material on the grounds that, if it hurts
    > Lucasarts, it hurts America, and therefore could be construed to be a

    "form
    > of terrorism".
    >
    > Latest word has it that Lucas is also looking to outlaw Spaceballs: The
    > Movie as a SW ripoff; however, he declined to comment on whether he would
    > also attempt to ban Spaceballs: the Lunchbox, or the Yogurt doll.

    i nominate this for post of the year !!!!!

    d a v e, Sep 25, 2003
  9. bryan  knott

    Jason Guest

    Yes. Post of the Year!

    Jason, Sep 25, 2003
  10. bryan  knott

    jayembee Guest

    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:

    > bryan knott wrote:
    >> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars
    >> trilogy (4,5,6) on laser?

    > Yes, and in more different issues than you could imagine.

    I can imagine quite a bit... :)

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 25, 2003
  11. bryan  knott

    shawn Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> bryan knott wrote:
    >>> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars
    >>> trilogy (4,5,6) on laser?

    >> Yes, and in more different issues than you could imagine.

    > I can imagine quite a bit... :)

    You'll get it!

    S.

    shawn, Sep 25, 2003
  12. bryan  knott

    Doonie Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:34:00 GMT, MetzLan wrote:

    >What is TESB?

    Return Of The Jedi.

    Doonie, Sep 25, 2003
  13. : What is TESB?

    Totally Enormous Shit, Bitch? 8-Þ

    "The Empire Strikes Back"

    --
    TTFN
    Scott

    The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy, Sep 25, 2003
  14. bryan  knott

    Ray Tracer Guest

    in article , Doonie at
    thus spake on 9/25/03 5:02 PM:

    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:34:00 GMT, MetzLan wrote:
    >
    >> What is TESB?

    > Return Of The Jedi.

    ?? Huh?? :p

    Neal

    Ray Tracer, Sep 26, 2003
  15. "bryan knott" <> wrote in message
    > Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars trilogy (4,5,6) on
    > laser?

    Yup.... there was many different releases of Star Wars on LD. Here is a
    great site that looks at all the different releases:

    http://www.blam1.com/StarWars/index.htm

    You might also want to check out the LD newsgroup alt.video.laserdisc
    too. I have the THX versions, and they are going to be the best versions of
    the original untainted trilogy I'm afraid we're going to get.

    Aaron

    Aaron R. Schnuth, Sep 26, 2003
  16. bryan  knott

    Bobcancel Guest

    << ayembee wrote:
    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> bryan knott wrote:
    >>> Is the ORIGINAL un-enhanced version of the star wars
    >>> trilogy (4,5,6) on laser?

    >> Yes, and in more different issues than you could imagine.

    > I can imagine quite a bit... :)

    You'll get it!

    I better!

    Bobcancel, Sep 27, 2003