Largish prints from digital in NYC?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Duke, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Duke

    Duke Guest

    Title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for recommendations of shops in
    NYC that will do quality prints from digital files. I would like to be able
    to upload them via the 'Net and just pick them up, but I can deliver them on
    CD/DVD if lab isn't set up for uploads and quality of prints is worth it. I
    am looking for good quality that is suitable for framing. I will mostly
    print 8 x 10's and larger (like 11 x 14).

    One place I've found is Kellards [.com] at 1 New York Plaza, I have just
    placed an order with them tonite - uploaded my photos and hope to pick them
    up tomorrow. I consider their prices to be decent, i.e. $3.50 for a 8 x 12.
    Curious as to the quality.

    As a fallback, what are some above-average-to-excellent (quality, price - in
    that order) delivery-only 'Net shops? You know, places that do lots of 4 x
    6's for the family but also decent large prints at competitive prices?

    Thanks

    P.S. I know there are some places that will charge $100 or more for a 11 x
    14 in NYC! While I am sure there are reasons that make it worth it (print
    you sell for $$$$), I am not currently able to afford such places. I
    welcome comments about these places from anyone who knows about them,
    however.
    Duke, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Duke

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:54:07 -0400, "Duke" <> wrote:

    >As a fallback, what are some above-average-to-excellent (quality, price - in
    >that order) delivery-only 'Net shops? You know, places that do lots of 4 x
    >6's for the family but also decent large prints at competitive prices?

    I've had lightjet prints made at foto-1 (www.foto1.com) in Ann Arbor
    Michigan. Nice work, good prices, and quick turnaround.

    If the prints you need are letter sized or smaller, you should be able
    to get those done at any decent minilab. A slightly better minilab
    should be able to make 12x18 prints.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Jul 23, 2003

  3. Duke

    louise Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:54:07 -0400, "Duke" <> wrote:
    >

    > >P.S. I know there are some places that will charge $100 or more for a 11 x
    > >14 in NYC! While I am sure there are reasons that make it worth it (print
    > >you sell for $$$$), I am not currently able to afford such places. I
    > >welcome comments about these places from anyone who knows about them,
    > >however.
    > >

    > This might be in that category. My wife placed in the annual NY
    > Audubon contest, and consequently received a spectacular print (from
    > her slide).
    >
    > I asked, and it was done at Duggal, on 20th St., next door to Baboo
    > which develops our film. I don't know how it was done, or what it
    > cost, but it is beautiful.
    >

    > Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
    >
    > "Hawg Polo?" . . . "Hawg Polo"

    Interesting, I too was going to recommend Dugal - they have
    done my "serious" film prints for years and are excellent.
    I know they also have full digital services and would
    expect the same quality of work from them.

    Louise
    louise, Jul 23, 2003