    the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    is bios an issue?
    will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?

    bigtom, Jul 7, 2005

  2. bigtom

    SgtMinor Guest

    bigtom wrote:

    > im thinking about getting a couple of 200GB drives to set up on raid 0
    > will XP SP1 handle this 400GB setup?
    > the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    > is bios an issue?
    > will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?

    Are you sure you want to run RAID 0? It has little or no benefit and
    carries a great deal of risk.

    SgtMinor, Jul 7, 2005

  3. bigtom

    SgtMinor Guest

    bigtom wrote:

    > im thinking about getting a couple of 200GB drives to set up on raid 0
    > will XP SP1 handle this 400GB setup?
    > the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    > is bios an issue?
    > will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?

    "How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk
    drives in Windows XP":

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    SgtMinor, Jul 7, 2005
  4. bigtom

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:40:17 +1000, bigtom wrote:

    >im thinking about getting a couple of 200GB drives to set up on raid 0
    >will XP SP1 handle this 400GB setup?

    Not a good idea. It should.

    In a Raid 0 config, 1 disk fails (partition corruption ) it's all gone.

    There have been a few previous posts in 24HSHD on file / disk sizes and
    pros / cons of Raid.

    >the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    >is bios an issue?

    Could be. You don't leave many clues as to BIOS make / version or the
    Mobo make / version, see the manufacturer web site support.

    There are always plug in SATA Raid controllers.

    >will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?

    No.

    Me

    why?, Jul 7, 2005
  5. bigtom

    FML Guest

    bigtom wrote:
    > im thinking about getting a couple of 200GB drives to set up on raid 0
    > will XP SP1 handle this 400GB setup?
    > the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    > is bios an issue?
    > will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?

    RAID 0 (Striping) is practically useless and you create a situation
    where if one drive goes South, you are hosed. If you must do RAID, do at
    least RAID 1 (mirroring). You will loose half your disk capacity but you
    will have duplicate drives in case of failure.

    FML, Jul 7, 2005
  6. bigtom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > bigtom wrote:
    >> im thinking about getting a couple of 200GB drives to set up on raid 0
    >> will XP SP1 handle this 400GB setup?
    >> the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    >> is bios an issue?
    >> will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?
    >>

    > RAID 0 (Striping) is practically useless and you create a situation where
    > if one drive goes South, you are hosed. If you must do RAID, do at least
    > RAID 1 (mirroring). You will loose half your disk capacity but you will
    > have duplicate drives in case of failure.

    Wasn't striping originally done to increase throughput speed? With today's
    high speed drives/controllers that shouldn't be a problem, making striping
    obsolete.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 8, 2005
  7. bigtom

    FML Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "FML" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>bigtom wrote:
    >>
    >>>im thinking about getting a couple of 200GB drives to set up on raid 0
    >>>will XP SP1 handle this 400GB setup?
    >>>the bios doesn't detect the 2x20GB drives i have in at the moment,
    >>>is bios an issue?
    >>>will partitioning them to 4x100GB help?
    >>>

    >>RAID 0 (Striping) is practically useless and you create a situation where
    >>if one drive goes South, you are hosed. If you must do RAID, do at least
    >>RAID 1 (mirroring). You will loose half your disk capacity but you will
    >>have duplicate drives in case of failure.
    >>

    > Wasn't striping originally done to increase throughput speed? With today's
    > high speed drives/controllers that shouldn't be a problem, making striping
    > obsolete.

    Yeah. Originally created for servers that were doing tons of disk I/O.
    As you said, it doesn't really buy you much these days.

    FML, Jul 8, 2005
  8. bigtom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "FML" <> wrote in message

    >>>RAID 0 (Striping) is practically useless and you create a situation where
    >>>if one drive goes South, you are hosed. If you must do RAID, do at least
    >>>RAID 1 (mirroring). You will loose half your disk capacity but you will
    >>>have duplicate drives in case of failure.
    >>>

    >> Wasn't striping originally done to increase throughput speed? With
    >> today's high speed drives/controllers that shouldn't be a problem, making
    >> striping obsolete.
    >>

    > Yeah. Originally created for servers that were doing tons of disk I/O. As
    > you said, it doesn't really buy you much these days.

    Our servers at work are SCSI running as RAID 1 - basic mirroring. I don't
    believe we bought hot-swap though. We do have a redundant power supply in
    the system though. Pretty low end hardware, but it is just a small network -
    40 some users. The drives are quickly replaceable, and between the mirroring
    and the daily tape backups, we wouldn't be down for long if a drive did
    fail. I hope. <grin>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 8, 2005
  9. bigtom

    FML Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "FML" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>"FML" <> wrote in message

    >>>Wasn't striping originally done to increase throughput speed? With
    >>>today's high speed drives/controllers that shouldn't be a problem, making
    >>>striping obsolete.
    >>>

    >>Yeah. Originally created for servers that were doing tons of disk I/O. As
    >>you said, it doesn't really buy you much these days.
    >>

    > Our servers at work are SCSI running as RAID 1 - basic mirroring. I don't
    > believe we bought hot-swap though. We do have a redundant power supply in
    > the system though. Pretty low end hardware, but it is just a small network -
    > 40 some users. The drives are quickly replaceable, and between the mirroring
    > and the daily tape backups, we wouldn't be down for long if a drive did
    > fail. I hope. <grin>

    We do pretty much the same thing with the addition of separate disk
    controllers thus creating two separate disk subsystems. We recently
    started doing hot backups to NAS disks and backing up to tape from the
    NAS backup. Works well.

    FML, Jul 8, 2005