    appointment; has by chance anyone seen it?
    FYI - I have no connection with either Naylor or the sale of the collection.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Nov 19, 2005

  2. C Wright

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:39 GMT, C Wright
    <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    >This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone interested in
    >photography. National Public Radio carried a news item about the world's
    >largest private camera collection, owned by a self made millionaire by the
    >name of Jack Naylor. His collection is for sale - for $20 million.
    >The collection contains everything from many forms of spy cameras to an 8x10
    >Deardorf that was used for many years to image Playboy's centerfolds.
    >The collection also includes many early photographs of historical
    >significance.
    >Here is a PDF that describes his collection:
    >http://www.communicationsforlearning.com/pr/Naylor.pdf
    >Naylor apparently lives in Massachusetts and exhibits his collection by
    >appointment; has by chance anyone seen it?
    >FYI - I have no connection with either Naylor or the sale of the collection.
    >Chuck

    Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    Father Kodak, Nov 20, 2005

  3. On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:37:14 -0800, Father Kodak <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:39 GMT, C Wright
    ><wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >
    >>This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone interested in
    >>photography. National Public Radio carried a news item about the world's
    >>largest private camera collection, owned by a self made millionaire by the
    >>name of Jack Naylor. His collection is for sale - for $20 million.
    >>The collection contains everything from many forms of spy cameras to an 8x10
    >>Deardorf that was used for many years to image Playboy's centerfolds.
    >>The collection also includes many early photographs of historical
    >>significance.
    >>Here is a PDF that describes his collection:
    >>http://www.communicationsforlearning.com/pr/Naylor.pdf
    >>Naylor apparently lives in Massachusetts and exhibits his collection by
    >>appointment; has by chance anyone seen it?
    >>FYI - I have no connection with either Naylor or the sale of the collection.
    >>Chuck

    > Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    > museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    > course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    > disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    Yep. That happened recently (a year or so ago) with a very extensive
    collection of antique clocks. After the collector died, a large chunk of
    the collection was on temporary display at the Chicago Museum of Science
    and Industry, but the museum/city was unable to raise the millions of
    dollars to buy the collection outright, so it was broken up and the
    individual pieces were sold at auction.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 20, 2005
  4. C Wright

    Mark² Guest

    Father Kodak wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:39 GMT, C Wright
    > <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >
    >> This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone
    >> interested in photography. National Public Radio carried a news
    >> item about the world's largest private camera collection, owned by a
    >> self made millionaire by the name of Jack Naylor. His collection is
    >> for sale - for $20 million.
    >> The collection contains everything from many forms of spy cameras to
    >> an 8x10 Deardorf that was used for many years to image Playboy's
    >> centerfolds.
    >> The collection also includes many early photographs of historical
    >> significance.
    >> Here is a PDF that describes his collection:
    >> http://www.communicationsforlearning.com/pr/Naylor.pdf
    >> Naylor apparently lives in Massachusetts and exhibits his collection
    >> by appointment; has by chance anyone seen it?
    >> FYI - I have no connection with either Naylor or the sale of the
    >> collection. Chuck

    > Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    > museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    > course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    > disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    "disappear" either...
    :)

    Mark², Nov 20, 2005
  5. C Wright

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Father Kodak wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:39 GMT, C Wright
    >> <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone
    >>> interested in photography. National Public Radio carried a news
    >>> item about the world's largest private camera collection, owned by a
    >>> self made millionaire by the name of Jack Naylor. His collection is
    >>> for sale - for $20 million.
    >>> The collection contains everything from many forms of spy cameras to
    >>> an 8x10 Deardorf that was used for many years to image Playboy's
    >>> centerfolds.
    >>> The collection also includes many early photographs of historical
    >>> significance.
    >>> Here is a PDF that describes his collection:
    >>> http://www.communicationsforlearning.com/pr/Naylor.pdf
    >>> Naylor apparently lives in Massachusetts and exhibits his collection
    >>> by appointment; has by chance anyone seen it?
    >>> FYI - I have no connection with either Naylor or the sale of the
    >>> collection. Chuck

    >> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    >> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    >> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    >> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    >That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >"disappear" either...

    Yeah, but the guy can probably use the tax deduction, AND if he does
    the donation, he gets a museum wing named after him. Does more for
    his "legacy" than the money ever would.

    Father Kodak, Nov 20, 2005
  6. C Wright

    Mark² Guest

    Father Kodak wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >> Father Kodak wrote:

    >>> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    >>> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    >>> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    >>> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    >> That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $
    >> to "disappear" either...

    > Yeah, but the guy can probably use the tax deduction, AND if he does
    > the donation, he gets a museum wing named after him. Does more for
    > his "legacy" than the money ever would.

    If his legacy is a son or daughter...I'd wager they vote for the cash over
    daddy's name on some building...
    :)
    But then...he can do whatever tickles his funny bone...
    ....The camera world will survive regardless.

    Mark², Nov 20, 2005
  7. C Wright

    Charlie Self Guest

    Father Kodak wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    > >Father Kodak wrote:

    > >> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    > >> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    > >> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    > >> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    > >That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    > >"disappear" either...

    > Yeah, but the guy can probably use the tax deduction, AND if he does
    > the donation, he gets a museum wing named after him. Does more for
    > his "legacy" than the money ever would.

    Probably? We don't know if this is all he owns or not. It has only been
    a few days since a will from an old, apparently destitute guy, was
    released, leaving 3 million bucks to some place or other. He lived like
    he was broke, saved all that money, and gave it away after his death.
    Legacy!

    Charlie Self, Nov 20, 2005
  8. C Wright

    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Father Kodak wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:39 GMT, C Wright
    >> <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone
    >>> interested in photography. National Public Radio carried a news
    >>> item about the world's largest private camera collection, owned by a
    >>> self made millionaire by the name of Jack Naylor. His collection is
    >>> for sale - for $20 million.
    >>> The collection contains everything from many forms of spy cameras to
    >>> an 8x10 Deardorf that was used for many years to image Playboy's
    >>> centerfolds.
    >>> The collection also includes many early photographs of historical
    >>> significance.
    >>> Here is a PDF that describes his collection:
    >>> http://www.communicationsforlearning.com/pr/Naylor.pdf
    >>> Naylor apparently lives in Massachusetts and exhibits his collection
    >>> by appointment; has by chance anyone seen it?
    >>> FYI - I have no connection with either Naylor or the sale of the
    >>> collection. Chuck

    >> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    >> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    >> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    >> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    >That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >"disappear" either...
    >:)

    Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    "should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    said pissant has already made a similar donation.

    If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    "should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    property.

    Right a real wrong, instead of making up your own silly
    wrongs.

    , Nov 21, 2005
  9. C Wright

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:35:27 -0800, Father Kodak
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >>Father Kodak wrote:

    >>> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    >>> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    >>> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    >>> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    >>That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >>"disappear" either...

    >Yeah, but the guy can probably use the tax deduction, AND if he does
    >the donation, he gets a museum wing named after him. Does more for
    >his "legacy" than the money ever would.

    His decision -- not yours, mine or anyone else's.

    , Nov 21, 2005
  10. C Wright

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:03:46 -0800, wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >

    >>> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    >>> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    >>> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    >>> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    >>That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >>"disappear" either...
    >>:)
    >>

    > Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    >"should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    >place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    >need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    >said pissant has already made a similar donation.
    >
    > If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    >"should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    >reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    >the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    >property.

    One could argue that "pissants" like are trying to
    tell the (rich) people who own shoreline property what to do with said
    property.

    Mr. Kashe, whoever you are, you have earned yourself a spot on my
    PLONKEE list. GFY.

    Kodak

    Father Kodak, Nov 21, 2005
  11. C Wright

    Darrell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >>Father Kodak wrote:

    >>> Instead of selling it, Mr. Naylor should donate his collection to a
    >>> museum. Smithsonian is one possibility, but there are others of
    >>> course. that way the collection won't be broken up and won't
    >>> disappear into private collections not available to the public.

    >>That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >>"disappear" either...
    >>:)
    >>

    > Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    > "should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    > place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    > need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    > said pissant has already made a similar donation.
    >
    > If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    > "should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    > reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    > the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    > property.
    >
    > Right a real wrong, instead of making up your own silly
    > wrongs.

    It almost sounds like the OP was suggesting that Mr. Naylor should donate or
    have the state confiscate his collection for a bizarre common good. It's
    just a really nice collection of cameras, the World will still revolve if
    the collection is sold off...

    Darrell, Nov 21, 2005
  12. C Wright

    Jer Guest

    Darrell wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >>number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >>>That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >>>"disappear" either...
    >>>:)
    >>>

    >>Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    >>"should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    >>place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    >>need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    >>said pissant has already made a similar donation.
    >>
    >>If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    >>"should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    >>reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    >>the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    >>property.
    >>
    >>Right a real wrong, instead of making up your own silly
    >>wrongs.

    > It almost sounds like the OP was suggesting that Mr. Naylor should donate or
    > have the state confiscate his collection for a bizarre common good. It's
    > just a really nice collection of cameras, the World will still revolve if
    > the collection is sold off...

    The Dept. of Homeland Security may decide they've been used for
    nefarious purposes, declare them to be a threat to national security,
    sieze and dispose of the entire lot in the nearest incinerator. I mean,
    why who would want a old camera made of wood? :)

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Nov 21, 2005
  13. C Wright

    Paul Rubin Guest

    C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> writes:
    > This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone interested in
    > photography. National Public Radio carried a news item about the world's
    > largest private camera collection, owned by a self made millionaire by the
    > name of Jack Naylor. His collection is for sale - for $20 million.

    Interesting. Naylor has written many neat articles in Shutterbug
    about his camera collecting adventures. I knew he had a lot of cool
    cameras but I had no idea there was $20 million worth there.

    Paul Rubin, Nov 21, 2005
  14. C Wright

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> writes:
    >> This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone
    >> interested in photography. National Public Radio carried a news
    >> item about the world's largest private camera collection, owned by
    >> self made millionaire by the name of Jack Naylor. His collection is
    >> for sale - for $20 million.

    > Interesting. Naylor has written many neat articles in Shutterbug
    > about his camera collecting adventures. I knew he had a lot of cool
    > cameras but I had no idea there was $20 million worth there.

    My 1967 MGB GT is for sale for one million two thousand seven hundred
    dollars. No offers yet, but it's on record, just in case I decide to
    donate it...

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult.
    Particularly about the Future.
    -Deepak Gupta

    Frank ess, Nov 21, 2005
  15. C Wright

    Darrell Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> writes:
    >> This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone interested in
    >> photography. National Public Radio carried a news item about the world's
    >> largest private camera collection, owned by a self made millionaire by
    >> the
    >> name of Jack Naylor. His collection is for sale - for $20 million.

    > Interesting. Naylor has written many neat articles in Shutterbug
    > about his camera collecting adventures. I knew he had a lot of cool
    > cameras but I had no idea there was $20 million worth there.

    Must be those 2 Leica M4-Ps

    Darrell, Nov 21, 2005
  16. C Wright

    Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:34:24 -0800, Father Kodak
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:03:46 -0800, wrote:

    >>>That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >>>"disappear" either...
    >>>:)
    >>>

    >> Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    >>"should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    >>place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    >>need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    >>said pissant has already made a similar donation.
    >>
    >> If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    >>"should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    >>reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    >>the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    >>property.

    >One could argue that "pissants" like are trying to
    >tell the (rich) people who own shoreline property what to do with said
    >property.

    Learn some law, asshole! In California, the beach below mean
    low water is defined as PUBLIC PROPERTY. The rich bastards have
    absolutely no claim upon it, Yet they build chainlink fences that go
    well beneath that line, let guard dogs roam inside the fence and
    thraten "trespassers" with arrest and prosecution for entering the
    property that is defined as PUBLIC.

    I'm not telling them what they can do with their own property.
    I'm telling them what they cannot do with the PUBLIC's property which
    they are trying to co-opt for their own PRIVATE use.

    >Mr. Kashe, whoever you are, you have earned yourself a spot on my
    >PLONKEE list. GFY.

    Biggest of all Fucking Deals. I'm soooooo very wounded. At
    least I won't have to put up with a response from you unless you admit
    to being as big a bullshitter as the rest of those sipshits who plonk
    left and right, then can't resist "peeking".

    >Kodak

    , Nov 22, 2005
  17. C Wright

    Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:10:23 -0500, "Darrell" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:56:58 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >> number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >>>That's all very nice...but perhaps he doesn't want his 20 million $ to
    >>>"disappear" either...
    >>>:)
    >>>

    >> Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    >> "should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    >> place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    >> need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    >> said pissant has already made a similar donation.
    >>
    >> If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    >> "should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    >> reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    >> the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    >> property.
    >>
    >> Right a real wrong, instead of making up your own silly
    >> wrongs.

    >It almost sounds like the OP was suggesting that Mr. Naylor should donate or
    >have the state confiscate his collection for a bizarre common good. It's
    >just a really nice collection of cameras, the World will still revolve if
    >the collection is sold off...

    Yep, the nannies always have ideas about what's
    "inappropriate" for others.

    , Nov 22, 2005
  18. C Wright

    Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:08:44 -0600, Jer <> wrote:

    >Darrell wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>>Where does the pompous idiot get off deciding what Mr. Naylor
    >>>"should" do anyway? The collection is his to donate, sell or burn in
    >>>place, without reference to the bleating of others. I'm sure he has no
    >>>need of some pissant attempting to make the decision for him. Unless
    >>>said pissant has already made a similar donation.
    >>>
    >>>If the pissant wants to get involved with what wealthy people
    >>>"should" do, he'd be far better off going to work for those trying to
    >>>reclaim the coastline of Califiornia from the bastards who've filled
    >>>the tidal zone with illegal signs declaring it to be their own privae
    >>>property.
    >>>
    >>>Right a real wrong, instead of making up your own silly
    >>>wrongs.

    >> It almost sounds like the OP was suggesting that Mr. Naylor should donate or
    >> have the state confiscate his collection for a bizarre common good. It's
    >> just a really nice collection of cameras, the World will still revolve if
    >> the collection is sold off...
    >>

    >The Dept. of Homeland Security may decide they've been used for
    >nefarious purposes, declare them to be a threat to national security,
    >sieze and dispose of the entire lot in the nearest incinerator. I mean,
    >why who would want a old camera made of wood? :)

    Only the kind of terrorist using old technology to avoid
    having his movements tracked by a modern camera. The next new
    "feaures" should be embedded GPS and retinal scanners.

    , Nov 22, 2005
  19. C Wright

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:23:57 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Paul Rubin wrote:
    >> C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> writes:
    >>> This is semi off topic, but probably of interest to anyone
    >>> interested in photography. National Public Radio carried a news
    >>> item about the world's largest private camera collection, owned by
    >>> self made millionaire by the name of Jack Naylor. His collection is
    >>> for sale - for $20 million.

    >> Interesting. Naylor has written many neat articles in Shutterbug
    >> about his camera collecting adventures. I knew he had a lot of cool
    >> cameras but I had no idea there was $20 million worth there.

    >My 1967 MGB GT is for sale for one million two thousand seven hundred
    >dollars. No offers yet, but it's on record, just in case I decide to
    >donate it...

    I think you should donate it to me for free so I can display
    it "for the public good".

    And to save the children.

    , Nov 22, 2005
  20. My first car was a '67 MGB...I wish I still had it so I could under-price
    you.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter