    larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.

    What should I do please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Geopelia

    Peter Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    > websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    > larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >
    > What should I do please?

    Depends if you have a CRT or LCD type display.

    If it is a CRT, then changing the display resolution is probably the way to
    go. But on a LCD, if you select other than the native resolution, it gives
    a poor quality display.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 14, 2007

  3. Geopelia

    Squiggle Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    > websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    > larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >
    > What should I do please?
    >
    > Geopelia

    Turning down the display resolution will help, but may look a bit funny
    if you have an LCD monitor
    Go to Control panel > display >settings> then move the screen resolution
    slider to the left a notch or two.

    The other thing that might help is changing the default font size.

    control panel > display > Appearance tab > change the font size setting
    in lower left corner to Large or Extra Large.

    HTH

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Geopelia

    Jerry Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    > websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    > larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >
    > What should I do please?
    >
    > Geopelia

    In Outlook Express or Internet Explorer click view and theen Text Size
    on the toolbar.
    Jerry, Aug 14, 2007
  5. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    >> websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    >> larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >>
    >> What should I do please?

    > Depends if you have a CRT or LCD type display.
    >
    > If it is a CRT, then changing the display resolution is probably the way to
    > go. But on a LCD, if you select other than the native resolution, it gives
    > a poor quality display.

    My experiance is that people who complain about the text size are in no
    position to see the scaling artifacts since everything looks soft and
    fuzzy to them.
    Richard, Aug 14, 2007
  6. Geopelia

    Peter Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > My experiance is that people who complain about the text size are in no
    > position to see the scaling artifacts since everything looks soft and
    > fuzzy to them.

    My experience is that tiny clear fonts and larger fuzzy ones are equally
    frustrating. (That is, using a fine LCD with native resolution, or with
    down scaled resolution.)

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 14, 2007
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    >> websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    >> larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >>
    >> What should I do please?
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > In Outlook Express or Internet Explorer click view and theen Text Size on
    > the toolbar.

    Thank you, but I have already done that, and it only makes the messages
    larger, the headers etc stay the same.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 14, 2007
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    >>> websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview
    >>> pane
    >>> larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do please?

    >> Depends if you have a CRT or LCD type display.
    >>
    >> If it is a CRT, then changing the display resolution is probably the way
    >> go. But on a LCD, if you select other than the native resolution, it
    >> gives
    >> a poor quality display.

    > My experiance is that people who complain about the text size are in no
    > position to see the scaling artifacts since everything looks soft and
    > fuzzy to them.

    Thank you, it is CRT. It does look fuzzy since the repairs were done.
    Something must have been changed at the shop, so how do I change it back
    please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 14, 2007
  9. Geopelia

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:52:33 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    >websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    >larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >
    >What should I do please?
    >
    >Geopelia

    What browser do you use? If Firefox, there is a zoom extension that
    allows you to zoom everything or just the text. In Opera you zoom
    everything ( + & - keys).
    Nighthawk, Aug 14, 2007
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    >> websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    >> larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >>
    >> What should I do please?
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > Turning down the display resolution will help, but may look a bit funny if
    > you have an LCD monitor
    > Go to Control panel > display >settings> then move the screen resolution
    > slider to the left a notch or two.

    Thank you, that worked. Everything is now larger, including all the icons.
    Now I'll just turn the text size down a bit. (I've got CRT)

    > The other thing that might help is changing the default font size.
    >
    > control panel > display > Appearance tab > change the font size setting in
    > lower left corner to Large or Extra Large.

    I haven't tried this yet, as the screen resolution seems to have fixed it.

    > HTH

    > El Chippy

    Your kind help is much appreciated.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 14, 2007
  11. Geopelia wrote:
    > Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    > websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    > larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >
    > What should I do please?

    To change your screen resolution:

    Right click on a clear patch on the desktop

    Click on Properties

    Select the Settings tab

    Move the "Screen Area" slider towards less

    Click the "OK" button

    (from memory you are running Windows 98SE)
    Mark Robinson, Aug 14, 2007
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all, what Squiggle said has fixed it.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 14, 2007
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Since the computer has had some work done, I find the text here and on
    >> websites is very small. I've made the text in emails and the preview pane
    >> larger, but it doesn't affect the rest, headers etc.
    >>
    >> What should I do please?

    > To change your screen resolution:
    >
    > Right click on a clear patch on the desktop
    >
    > Click on Properties
    >
    > Select the Settings tab
    >
    > Move the "Screen Area" slider towards less
    >
    > Click the "OK" button
    >
    > (from memory you are running Windows 98SE)

    No, Windows XP.

    I've done that, but it is the same as getting there from the Control Panel,
    which I have already done.
    This way is quicker though, so I'll make a note of it.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 14, 2007
  14. In message <f9s4h6$bkm$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > ... it is CRT. It does look fuzzy since the repairs were done.
    > Something must have been changed at the shop, so how do I change it back
    > please?

    My only idea is, take it back to the shop. Several decades ago, CRTs used to
    have focusing and other such adjustments, but that's all disappeared now,
    presumably because they're no longer necessary. So in theory it shouldn't
    be possible to stuff up the focus.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 15, 2007
  15. On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:57:26 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In message <f9s4h6$bkm$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> ... it is CRT. It does look fuzzy since the repairs were done.
    >> Something must have been changed at the shop, so how do I change it back
    >> please?

    > My only idea is, take it back to the shop. Several decades ago, CRTs used to
    > have focusing and other such adjustments, but that's all disappeared now,
    > presumably because they're no longer necessary. So in theory it shouldn't
    > be possible to stuff up the focus.

    My guess (and it is only a guess!) is that the shop, when re-sttting-up
    the computer after servicing, has changed (or allowed Windows to change -
    it does it all by its clever little self these days) the screen
    resolution.

    Geo may have had it working at, say, 1024x768 or even 800x600 and been
    quite happy with that for years. If it then came back from the shop set
    to 1280x1024 or 1152x864 I can well imagine it simply being too tiny for a
    75+ year-old lady to read comfortably, however good her eyesight.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... You know it's going to be a bad day when the bird singing outside your
    window at daybreak is a buzzard.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 15, 2007
  16. In message <f9s4h6$bkm$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > ...it is CRT. It does look fuzzy since the repairs were done.
    > Something must have been changed at the shop, so how do I change it back
    > please?

    Another possibility: is there such a thing as ClearType for XP? If there is,
    try turning it off.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 15, 2007
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <f9s4h6$bkm$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> ...it is CRT. It does look fuzzy since the repairs were done.
    >> Something must have been changed at the shop, so how do I change it back
    >> please?

    > Another possibility: is there such a thing as ClearType for XP? If there
    > is,
    > try turning it off.

    It's easier to read now I've got the type enlarged. I think it may just be
    the monitor getting old. The red has been missing for a long time.
    Geopelia, Aug 15, 2007
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <f9s4h6$bkm$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> ...it is CRT. It does look fuzzy since the repairs were done.
    >> Something must have been changed at the shop, so how do I change it back
    >> please?

    > Another possibility: is there such a thing as ClearType for XP? If there
    > is,
    > try turning it off.

    I changed Clear Type to Standard. The type has become much thinner, and
    doesn't look as fuzzy and black. I'll see how I get on with it.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 15, 2007
  19. Geopelia wrote:
    > It's easier to read now I've got the type enlarged. I think it may just be
    > the monitor getting old. The red has been missing for a long time.

    Sounds like time for a fresh monitor Geo.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 15, 2007
  20. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> It's easier to read now I've got the type enlarged. I think it may just
    >> be the monitor getting old. The red has been missing for a long time.

    > Sounds like time for a fresh monitor Geo.

    I'm thinking about it.
    Geopelia, Aug 15, 2007