Large swing on uptake of IIS/win2k3 as go daddy goes Windows....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_server_survey.html

    "This month's survey brings one of the largest one-month swings in the
    history of the web server market, as Microsoft gains 4.7 percent share
    while Apache loses 5.9 percent. The shift is driven by changes at domain
    registrar Go Daddy, which has just migrated more than 3.5 million
    hostnames from Linux to Windows. Go Daddy, which had been the world's
    largest Linux host, is now the world's largest Windows Server 2003 host,
    as measured by hostnames. The company said it will shift a total of 4.4
    million hostnames to Windows Server 2003.

    Technology trends among registrars have a large impact on web server
    market share, as each registrar hosts large numbers of parked domains.
    Microsoft's last major upward surge in market share in 2001-02 was
    boosted by migrations at Register.com and VeriSign. Go Daddy is the
    second huge registrar to shift its sites to Windows Server 2003,
    following the lead of enom. Among other major registrars, 1&1 Internet,
    Dotster and Register.com host on Linux, while Network Solutions uses
    Solaris.

    Interesting......I wonder how many of these web sites are real as
    opposed to place holders....anyway what's good for goose is good for
    gander.....

    Apache's huge market lead must be a massive thorn in MS's side and this
    will continue for years....would be a PR victory if IIS ever overtook
    Apache though....

    Sun continues to score just about zero............yet they seem to
    market its product hard.....seems like flogging a dead horse at
    times....funny that they were considered the .com company.....yet
    statistically IIS & Apache own the web.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 6, 2006

  2. "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_server_survey.html
    >
    > "This month's survey brings one of the largest one-month swings in the
    > history of the web server market, as Microsoft gains 4.7 percent share
    > while Apache loses 5.9 percent. The shift is driven by changes at domain
    > registrar Go Daddy, which has just migrated more than 3.5 million
    > hostnames from Linux to Windows. Go Daddy, which had been the world's
    > largest Linux host, is now the world's largest Windows Server 2003 host,
    > as measured by hostnames. The company said it will shift a total of 4.4
    > million hostnames to Windows Server 2003.
    >
    > Interesting......I wonder how many of these web sites are real as opposed
    > to place holders....anyway what's good for goose is good for gander.....

    They are all "waiting" pages (parked domains)

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
    Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 6, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_server_survey.html
    >>
    >>"This month's survey brings one of the largest one-month swings in the
    >>history of the web server market, as Microsoft gains 4.7 percent share
    >>while Apache loses 5.9 percent. The shift is driven by changes at domain
    >>registrar Go Daddy, which has just migrated more than 3.5 million
    >>hostnames from Linux to Windows. Go Daddy, which had been the world's
    >>largest Linux host, is now the world's largest Windows Server 2003 host,
    >>as measured by hostnames. The company said it will shift a total of 4.4
    >>million hostnames to Windows Server 2003.
    >>
    >>Interesting......I wonder how many of these web sites are real as opposed
    >>to place holders....anyway what's good for goose is good for gander.....
    >>

    > They are all "waiting" pages (parked domains)
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6064

    Yes very true, however if the OSS/Apache people can claim them
    statistically, so can MS.

    The active pages are more interesting....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 6, 2006
  4. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 07:35:08 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Interesting......I wonder how many of these web sites are real as
    > opposed to place holders....anyway what's good for goose is good for
    > gander.....

    More telling, I think, is the change in "active" websites. That changed by
    a much smaller number.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
    that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 7, 2006