Large scale cooperative photo projects.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Hello.

    I am interested in doing photography projects that would need require
    photographers in different parts of the country and maybe the world. A lot
    of this would be photo documenting to put on the internet. I have other
    ideas and would like to brainstorm with others who are interested in large
    scale cooperative projects that would go beyond the run of the mill
    photoblog or personal gallery.

    Also would like to setup a bulletin board to discuss/plan our various
    projects or ideas with others.

    These projects would be for fun as a way to use our awesome photographic
    capabilities and to promote the use of digital cameras.

    Email me if you would like to brainstorm about a particular project you have
    in mind or discuss one of mine or if you would like to be a part of setting
    up the bulletin board system etc.

    Thanks.
    Rich
    Rich, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Rich

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:26:46 +0000, Rich wrote:
    > I am interested in doing photography projects that would need require
    > photographers in different parts of the country and maybe the world. A lot
    > of this would be photo documenting to put on the internet. I have other
    > ideas and would like to brainstorm with others who are interested in large
    > scale cooperative projects that would go beyond the run of the mill
    > photoblog or personal gallery....

    I would like to see an 'open source' (similar to Linux), as in free,
    project where people around the world contribute photos to a repository
    for anybody to use. In essence, a free stock photo repository. The
    problem would be this could require a lot of mass storage on the web, lots
    of bandwidth -- who will pay for this and ensure it continuance? Perhaps
    it might be good to secure funding or at least webspace from for example
    the National Science Foundation, etc.

    As a teacher (and artist on the side), and being that I now teach 100%
    internet, such a resource would be welcome in education. Imagine how
    students and teachers could make use of such photos for teaching and
    learning. As a biology teacher, it would be great to have access to
    environmental photos to teach ecology, xrays when teaching anatomy, etc. I
    have a good many such photos I could donate, if this was set up right.
    Beowulf, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Rich

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Beowulf <> wrote:

    > I would like to see an 'open source' (similar to Linux), as in free,
    > project where people around the world contribute photos to a repository
    > for anybody to use. In essence, a free stock photo repository.

    Yeah, great, let's devalue the market even more for anyone trying to actually
    make a living at it.

    > As a teacher (and artist on the side), and being that I now teach 100%
    > internet, such a resource would be welcome in education. Imagine how
    > students and teachers could make use of such photos for teaching and
    > learning.

    You can get pictures for that kind of use from Corbis for not a whole lot
    of money. See http://education.corbis.com

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 9, 2004