Large Photo Size/Printing etc

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi All,

    I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
    colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
    cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
    pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it off
    and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?

    The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium

    Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
    pixels, 6.0MP

    I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
    different software if it makes this task easier.

    Thanks for any help

    Matt
    Matt, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Matt

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Matt" <> writes:
    > I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
    > colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
    > cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.

    mpix.com makes 20x30" prints for $25. I remember there was another
    place that made very large prints (like 40x60") also at reasonable
    prices on some kind of large inkjet printer. I thought I had it
    bookmarked but I can't find it now. Maybe someone else knows of such
    a place.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thanks, quotes i have been getting are 80 GBP per image and i need two of
    them

    If someone could find such a place i would be most grateful, they need to be
    willing to post to the UK if overseas

    Thanks

    Matt

    Matt, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Matt

    Andy Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections

    in
    > colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
    > cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
    > pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it

    off
    > and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?
    >
    > The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium
    >
    > Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
    > pixels, 6.0MP
    >
    > I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
    > different software if it makes this task easier.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > I used to have some software called Posteriza which I got from a freeware

    site. I used it to print off some of my panoramic shots, I would print out 8
    A4 sheets 2 up and 4 along then just join together. Or you could do any
    combination you wanted.
    Try searching for it and try it out, it might not be what you want but at
    least it's free to try.

    Andy
    Andy, Oct 18, 2006
  5. Matt

    Stewy Guest

    In article <45362c90$>,
    "Matt" <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
    > colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
    > cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
    > pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it off
    > and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?
    >
    > The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium
    >
    > Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
    > pixels, 6.0MP
    >
    > I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
    > different software if it makes this task easier.

    If you print in sections, aim for a slight overlap and print on the
    thinnest paper, leave the overlaps in place.

    Or use heavier paper, overlap and cut around objects if possible - aim
    for no straight line cuts. Use a box cutter or scalpel, not scissors.

    Printing should be not less than 70ppi (screen resolution)

    Resample the image if necessary.

    A4 is 29.7 x 21cm. 36" square is 90cm. Printing in 12 wedges (3x4
    landscape) would yield around 87cm x 84cm (1" & 1.5" less) - may vary
    according to overlaps.

    Figure how much 12 prints would cost you before comparing the online
    photo printers
    Stewy, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Matt

    Scott W Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've got an image that i want to enlarge, and then print off in sections in
    > colour A4, and stick together to produce an image roughly 36"x36" as i
    > cannot find anyone who can print the entire image for a reasonable price.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this task? How big in
    > pixels should i enlarge my image? and then how would be best to print it off
    > and A4 sized pieces so it can be joined together?
    >
    > The photo is for a jungle background to a vivarium
    >
    > Any issues with an image thats original details are - 3008 pixels X 2000
    > pixels, 6.0MP
    >
    > I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
    > different software if it makes this task easier.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Matt

    Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them and
    both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was $30,
    not too bad.

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Matt

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Scott W" <> writes:
    > Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them and
    > both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was $30,
    > not too bad.

    um, where?
    Paul Rubin, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Matt

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Scott W" <> writes:
    >> Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them
    >> and both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was
    >> $30, not too bad.

    > um, where?

    They were on the part of the island that sank ...

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Oct 19, 2006
  9. Matt

    Ace Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro Studio, i don't mind getting
    > different software if it makes this task easier.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Matt

    I had some 36 X 40 prints made at a local reproduction shop that
    specialized in building prints. They do color also. As I remember the
    pricing was less than $20.00 each. The girl who did the work would take
    any media and resize as well. I just took her a CD and minutes later
    out of the printer it came.

    Bob AZ
    Ace, Oct 19, 2006
  10. Matt

    Scott W Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Scott W" <> writes:
    > > Check out these folks, I have a 20 x 30 and a 30 x 60 done by them and
    > > both came out very nice. The 20x30 was $10 and the 30 x 60 was $30,
    > > not too bad.

    > um, where?

    Shoot, forgot the link.
    http://www.elcocolor.com/poster_special.htm