    Remove nospam to reply

    --
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus
    yellowwolf, May 21, 2006

  2. yellowwolf

    Conrad Guest

    Hi Yellow,

    You might want to look at the Panasonic. 12x optical, IS, Leica lens, 8
    MP. Friend bought one at Costco for $500. Light in weight also. Size of
    sensor?

    Best,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, OR
    Conrad, May 21, 2006

  3. yellowwolf

    J. Clarke Guest

    yellowwolf wrote:

    > Gents
    > Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an
    > image stabilizer?

    There are several that go to the equivalent of 432mm, but none longer that I
    am aware of. If you need RAW mode then the Panasonic FZ30 would be a good
    choice, otherwise the Canon S3-IS perhaps.

    With a Canon DSLR you can go to the equivalent of 1920 mm but you'll pay
    quite a lot for that and it will be a _huge_ chunk of glass.

    Note that the finder in point-and-shoots has a little bit of lag--this might
    be a problem in some cases when tracking fast moving objects.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, May 21, 2006
  4. yellowwolf wrote:
    > Gents
    > Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with
    > an image stabilizer?
    > I will primarily be doing aviation photography
    > Cheers
    > Stephen
    >
    > Remove nospam to reply

    I suggest you look at Digital SLRs (Nikon, Canon others) They are
    going to be expensive but what you want is there.

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, May 21, 2006
  5. J. Clarke wrote:

    > yellowwolf wrote:
    >

    >>Gents
    >>Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an
    >>image stabilizer?

    > There are several that go to the equivalent of 432mm, but none longer that I
    > am aware of. If you need RAW mode then the Panasonic FZ30 would be a good
    > choice, otherwise the Canon S3-IS perhaps.

    This page has some images from FZ cameras:

    A Photographic Image Quality Test Using the Moon
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/moon-test1

    (I have a lot more to add, but I've been on travel).

    The FZ cameras are quite impressive and make good images,
    comparable to DSLRs of the same equivalent focal length
    at low ISO, if you don't try and upsize them (the images
    start to fall apart when you upsize them to make bigger
    enlargements compared to higher signal-to-noise DSLR images).
    Even so, very nice 8x10s should be possible, perhaps
    even 11x14s (depending on subject and your standards).

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 21, 2006
  6. yellowwolf

    Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 11:01:46 GMT, "yellowwolf" <> wrote:

    > Gents
    > Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an image
    > stabilizer?
    > I will primarily be doing aviation photography

    Canon S3 IS.
    , May 21, 2006