Large format printers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I currently have an Epson 1160 printer.
    It is starting to act up a little bit.
    When I print a full size 13x19 page, the last little bit doesn't come
    out nice and clean. It just leaves an uneven spot that is not really
    printed well on the last 1/4 inch. If I print a 13x19 inch on the
    standard size it prints fine.

    I have a couple of options here.

    The least expensive -

    I could take the printer in for service and have it tuned up. It is
    most likely time for this, as I have had this printer for a number of
    years, and I bought it off the 1/2 price table in the first place when
    they brought out a new model.

    I am wondering if it is time for a new large format printer?

    I had some photos printed at a commerical lab, and the greens came out
    richer, and darker then on the Epson 1160. She did say the greens I
    had were what she normally saw from ink jet prints.

    I know the new photo printers have up to 6 different ink jet colors,
    and seperate cartridges. So the first question I have - is this
    worthwhile?

    For the 1160 I can find good quality off brand cartridges at about 1/2
    the price of the Epson Cartridges. A new printer I would be looking at
    buying the Epson Cartridges.

    So I guess, I am wondering what is the best option - tune up the 1160,
    or start looking at new large format printers?

    If I do start looking at new large format printers - what large format
    printers are good?

    I would need one that would work with linux and windows.

    roland

    , Jul 20, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton Guest

    > I currently have an Epson 1160 printer.

    This is a pretty old model now, probably 1999 or so, with only four
    colors so you don't get a very wide gamut.

    >If I do start looking at new large format printers - what large
    >format printers are good?

    If you mean 13x19" like the 1160 then HP has a good one with long print
    life (dunno the number, maybe 7960?), Canon has a couple with somewhat
    shorter print life but very good colors (dunno the latest number,
    probably i9900 or similar), and Epson has four, including the 1280
    (similar to the Canon for print life) and three pigment ink models with
    very long print life, the 2200, 2400 (replacement for the 2200) and I
    think the other is the R1800.

    All of these have at least six colors, some have seven, which generally
    means better looking prints than the four-color 1160. If you're
    selling prints I'd skip the Epson 1280 and Canon models because of the
    shorter print life. Other than that tip I'd say try to find a sample
    print from each (or better, arrange to print one of your images on each
    printer) and compare side by side.

    >I would need one that would work with linux and windows.

    All of these work with Windows but I'm not sure about Linux support.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 20, 2005

  3. piperut Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > > I currently have an Epson 1160 printer.

    > This is a pretty old model now, probably 1999 or so, with only four
    > colors so you don't get a very wide gamut.
    >
    > >If I do start looking at new large format printers - what large
    > >format printers are good?

    > If you mean 13x19" like the 1160 then HP has a good one with long print
    > life (dunno the number, maybe 7960?), Canon has a couple with somewhat
    > shorter print life but very good colors (dunno the latest number,
    > probably i9900 or similar), and Epson has four, including the 1280
    > (similar to the Canon for print life) and three pigment ink models with
    > very long print life, the 2200, 2400 (replacement for the 2200) and I
    > think the other is the R1800.
    >
    > All of these have at least six colors, some have seven, which generally
    > means better looking prints than the four-color 1160. If you're
    > selling prints I'd skip the Epson 1280 and Canon models because of the
    > shorter print life. Other than that tip I'd say try to find a sample
    > print from each (or better, arrange to print one of your images on each
    > printer) and compare side by side.
    >
    > >I would need one that would work with linux and windows.

    > All of these work with Windows but I'm not sure about Linux support.
    >
    > Bill

    I don't really sell prints right now... in the future, who knows?
    Epson does have a refurbished 1280 on their website for a little over
    $300... including shipping. They had a refubished 2200 (I think that
    was the model) for $529...

    I did talk to a service tech. He said he didn't think there is
    anything really wrong with the 1160. From the description, it is
    aligned ok, and it is just having a bit of trouble with maxium print
    area. I never noticed it before because I didn't have any files that
    would print maxium print area. Now with the Canon Digital Rebel, I
    have files that will print well on that setting.

    So I can just print them on the normal 13x19 setting. Trimmed up they
    are a little bit under that, about 12x18 or so. Not as much of a
    problem.
    (Actually, I think I saw frames that size in the store. I was having
    trouble with 13x19 inch frames anyway.)

    roland

    piperut, Jul 20, 2005
  4. John_B Guest

    Roland,
    What or How did they print it at you
    commercial lab?
    What software are you using for
    printing?
    I would guess the Frontier printers were
    used (its very common) if so 9 out 10
    times they are set for sRGB if you are
    printing aRGB it could affect colors.

    Also the newer printers are using more
    inks, I used to use epsons but got sick
    of ink head clogging and
    reddish/brownish tones.
    I switched to Canon and don't regret it
    at all. The Canon i9900 is outstanding
    for prints up to 13" x 19" and fast too.
    I printed a 8" x 10" and then had a 8" x
    10" (same file) printed on a Frontier
    and the Canon won!

    Sorry don't know if its usable with
    linux though.

    <> wrote in
    message
    a.googlegroups.com...

    John_B, Jul 20, 2005
  5. piperut Guest

    John_B wrote:
    > Roland,
    > What or How did they print it at you
    > commercial lab?
    > What software are you using for
    > printing?
    > I would guess the Frontier printers were
    > used (its very common) if so 9 out 10
    > times they are set for sRGB if you are
    > printing aRGB it could affect colors.
    >
    > Also the newer printers are using more
    > inks, I used to use epsons but got sick
    > of ink head clogging and
    > reddish/brownish tones.
    > I switched to Canon and don't regret it
    > at all. The Canon i9900 is outstanding
    > for prints up to 13" x 19" and fast too.
    > I printed a 8" x 10" and then had a 8" x
    > 10" (same file) printed on a Frontier
    > and the Canon won!
    >
    > Sorry don't know if its usable with
    > linux though.

    Hi John,

    She did say something about sRGB. I don't know what printer she is
    using.
    I have been using a bunch of different software. Adobe, Gramps,
    Picasa, Canon, and something else I may have around (don't remember
    what). When it made this light space on he one trailing edge I tried
    them all. All of them did this, in both Windows and Linux.

    I am just trying to get away from doing much in Windows, and converting
    as much over to linux as possible.

    Actually, if I can figure out why the 1160 is printing the one trailing
    edge lighter then the rest of the print on the maxium setting, I don't
    need to worry about a new printer. It prints the 13x19 inch fine on
    the regular settings fine. It is just if I set it for "Use Maxium Size
    of Paper" that I have trouble.

    I have tried cleanning the heads, and blowing the dust out of it with a
    can of air...
    Not sure if there are any other tricks to this?

    If I don't need to spend money on a new printer... then I shouldn't.

    roland

    piperut, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Dirty Harry Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I currently have an Epson 1160 printer.
    > It is starting to act up a little bit.
    > When I print a full size 13x19 page, the last little bit doesn't come
    > out nice and clean. It just leaves an uneven spot that is not really
    > printed well on the last 1/4 inch. If I print a 13x19 inch on the
    > standard size it prints fine.
    >
    > I have a couple of options here.
    >
    > The least expensive -
    >
    > I could take the printer in for service and have it tuned up. It is
    > most likely time for this, as I have had this printer for a number of
    > years, and I bought it off the 1/2 price table in the first place when
    > they brought out a new model.
    >
    > I am wondering if it is time for a new large format printer?
    >
    > I had some photos printed at a commerical lab, and the greens came out
    > richer, and darker then on the Epson 1160. She did say the greens I
    > had were what she normally saw from ink jet prints.
    >
    > I know the new photo printers have up to 6 different ink jet colors,
    > and seperate cartridges. So the first question I have - is this
    > worthwhile?
    >
    > For the 1160 I can find good quality off brand cartridges at about 1/2
    > the price of the Epson Cartridges. A new printer I would be looking at
    > buying the Epson Cartridges.
    >
    > So I guess, I am wondering what is the best option - tune up the 1160,
    > or start looking at new large format printers?
    >
    > If I do start looking at new large format printers - what large format
    > printers are good?
    >
    > I would need one that would work with linux and windows.
    >
    > roland

    Just make sure you don't get an HP 9650, biggest mistake I ever made.
    Leaves horrible tracks on anything that isn't HP paper, and even on HP it
    tracks just not as bad. Also don't plan on printing a picture with the 4
    color ink unless you like a faded line in all your pictures even if you're
    not printing borderless.
    --
    www.harryphotos.com

    Dirty Harry, Jul 20, 2005
  7. ASAAR Guest

    On 20 Jul 2005 11:14:45 -0700, piperut wrote:

    > I have tried cleanning the heads, and blowing the dust out of it with a
    > can of air...
    > Not sure if there are any other tricks to this?

    I'm not familiar with that printer but it doesn't seem like
    cleaning or blasting the heads with air would be effective. It
    sounds more like some part of the paper path closest to the print
    head that supports or positions the paper is slightly mispositioned
    or out of alignment. If you can feed a custom sized sheet of paper
    into the printer that's 1/4" or 1/2" longer than usual, if you get
    the same result, then "Never mind . . .". But if it helps, then a
    slight adjustment or a new part would probably be the cure the
    printer needs.

    ASAAR, Jul 20, 2005
  8. frederick Guest

    > If I do start looking at new large format printers - what large format
    > printers are good?

    Epson R2400
    Epson R1800
    Canon iP9900 / 9950
    HP 8750

    Reviews on the HP and Epson by a photographer are at:
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk
    If long lasting prints are a priority, then get either Epson.
    If Black & White prints are a priority, then either the R2400 or HP8740.
    If glossy bright sharp prints are the priority, then the Canon is good.
    Colour accuracy out of the box tends to be better with epsons.
    Some comments from the Photo-i site:

    "The EPSON Stylus Photo R2400 doesn't compete with traditional wet
    chemistry photographs - it doesn't need to as it is streets ahead of
    anything I have seen produced in a darkroom".

    "As a professional photographer with over 30 years experience and
    exhibited at many venues, I can say that the print I produced this
    afternoon is better than anything I have ever done in the darkroom. The
    print has sharpness, great colour saturation and all the qualities that
    I would expect from a wet chemistry photograph, let alone a digital
    print. It is stunning. Any photographer who questions the quality or
    merit of a digital print compared to a wet chemistry print need only
    look at the output from the R1800."

    frederick, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Markeau Guest

    I have been getting superb results with a Canon i9900 the past year.
    And no clogging - I've not printed for >2 months with no clogging and
    have never had to do a head cleaning.

    Markeau, Jul 21, 2005
  10. hyperoglyphe Guest

    "piperut" <> wrote in message
    > Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> > I currently have an Epson 1160 printer.

    >> This is a pretty old model now, probably 1999 or so, with only four
    >> colors so you don't get a very wide gamut.
    >>
    >> >If I do start looking at new large format printers - what large
    >> >format printers are good?

    >> If you mean 13x19" like the 1160 then HP has a good one with long print
    >> life (dunno the number, maybe 7960?), Canon has a couple with somewhat
    >> shorter print life but very good colors (dunno the latest number,
    >> probably i9900 or similar), and Epson has four, including the 1280
    >> (similar to the Canon for print life) and three pigment ink models with
    >> very long print life, the 2200, 2400 (replacement for the 2200) and I
    >> think the other is the R1800.
    >>
    >> All of these have at least six colors, some have seven, which generally
    >> means better looking prints than the four-color 1160. If you're
    >> selling prints I'd skip the Epson 1280 and Canon models because of the
    >> shorter print life. Other than that tip I'd say try to find a sample
    >> print from each (or better, arrange to print one of your images on each
    >> printer) and compare side by side.
    >>
    >> >I would need one that would work with linux and windows.

    >> All of these work with Windows but I'm not sure about Linux support.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > I don't really sell prints right now... in the future, who knows?
    > Epson does have a refurbished 1280 on their website for a little over
    > $300... including shipping. They had a refubished 2200 (I think that
    > was the model) for $529...

    [...]
    Isn't the 1280 output similar to the 1160? Bill Hinton is correct, skip it
    if you are not going to keep the 1160. The 2200 has 7 inks with a matte
    black interchangable for photo black, and gives a far superior result (we
    own both). Both the latest Canon and Epson using the pigment inks are good,
    I have not used HP's.

    If you stick with the 1160, a service is good, especially if you have
    problems with full bleeds. You may also wish to print the same pictures
    with a genuine Epson cart to compare with the ink you use, as I've noticed
    variable performance from other "after-market" inks when compared to Epson's
    consistent results.

    Dave

    hyperoglyphe, Jul 21, 2005
  11. frederick Guest

    hyperoglyphe wrote:
    > "piperut" <> wrote in message

    >>>This is a pretty old model now, probably 1999 or so, with only four
    >>>colors so you don't get a very wide gamut.

    >>>If you mean 13x19" like the 1160 then HP has a good one with long print
    >>>life (dunno the number, maybe 7960?), Canon has a couple with somewhat
    >>>shorter print life but very good colors (dunno the latest number,
    >>>probably i9900 or similar), and Epson has four, including the 1280
    >>>(similar to the Canon for print life) and three pigment ink models with
    >>>very long print life, the 2200, 2400 (replacement for the 2200) and I
    >>>think the other is the R1800.
    >>>
    >>>All of these have at least six colors, some have seven, which generally
    >>>means better looking prints than the four-color 1160. If you're
    >>>selling prints I'd skip the Epson 1280 and Canon models because of the
    >>>shorter print life. Other than that tip I'd say try to find a sample
    >>>print from each (or better, arrange to print one of your images on each
    >>>printer) and compare side by side.

    >>>All of these work with Windows but I'm not sure about Linux support.
    >>>
    >>>Bill

    >>I don't really sell prints right now... in the future, who knows?
    >>Epson does have a refurbished 1280 on their website for a little over
    >>$300... including shipping. They had a refubished 2200 (I think that
    >>was the model) for $529...

    > [...]
    > Isn't the 1280 output similar to the 1160? Bill Hinton is correct, skip it
    > if you are not going to keep the 1160. The 2200 has 7 inks with a matte
    > black interchangable for photo black, and gives a far superior result (we
    > own both). Both the latest Canon and Epson using the pigment inks are good,
    > I have not used HP's.

    The 2200 is supeceded by the 2400 - which improves on the 2200 for both
    B&W printing (3 blacks), and for gloss/semi gloss media (no bronzing now
    with a new ink set).
    The 1800 uses 7 colour pigment inks, and a gloss optimiser to avoid
    bronzing/uneven gloss. It is a couple of hundred dollars less expensive
    than the 2400.
    The 1800 prints cds, the 2400 forgoes that for a straight through paper
    path for heavier media. Both produce stunning colour prints. Neither
    give 100% full gloss results on glossy media - like dye based printers
    can. A cartridge change from matte to gloss deep black ink is required
    with the 2400 when changing media.
    Only some new top end Canons (pro genuine wide format - not just 13
    inch) use colour pigment inks. (but rumour has it that a pigment inkset
    is available in Japan for the 9900/9950).
    My opinion is that the Epsons are in a different class entirely to the
    Canon or HP offerings. That is based on my subjective preference on how
    the prints look (which doesn't mean that anyone else would have the same
    view), colour accuracy (which seems to be extremely good with default
    profiles), and print longevity on a wide range of media.

    > If you stick with the 1160, a service is good, especially if you have
    > problems with full bleeds. You may also wish to print the same pictures
    > with a genuine Epson cart to compare with the ink you use, as I've noticed
    > variable performance from other "after-market" inks when compared to Epson's
    > consistent results.
    >
    > Dave

    If you post a request in comp.peripherals.printers, then ask for Arthur
    Entlich's guide to unclogging nozzles. I have had no need to use it,
    but understand that he will email detailed instructions to you by reply.

    frederick, Jul 21, 2005
  12. piperut Guest

    Hi Dave,

    Anyway, I have figured out the problem with the 1160. I had a switch
    set wrong. I must have bumped the switch when I moved it to a new
    location in the computer room a couple of months ago. That was when
    the thing started acting up.

    Other then this little bit of annoying problem, the 1160 is doing fine.
    The off brand ink I have found that is working has a higher contrast
    then the Epson Ink. I am also getting consistant results from it. It
    is in a white and green box, and doesn't really have a name on it.
    Just says "Made in China, parts from U.S.A."

    When this light spot on the 13x19 inch prints started showing up, I did
    buy an couple of Epson Cartridges to see if this was the problem. That
    didn't cure the problem. All that did was show me I liked the colors
    and the contrast of the off brand I am buying better.

    roland

    piperut, Jul 21, 2005
  13. Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Hilton, Jul 21, 2005
  14. piperut Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > >Dave writes ...
    > >
    > >Isn't the 1280 output similar to the 1160?

    > Actually the 1270/1280 series print quality was better than the 1160,
    > also the print life was longer. Here's a page that did comparisons of
    > the 1270, 1160, 1200 and 2000p several years ago that shows the
    > differences.
    >
    > http://www.inkjetart.com/news/13_comp/8.html this is an 8x blowup
    > http://www.inkjetart.com/news/13_comp/output.html from here you can
    > find the 17x blowup and other info
    >
    > Bill

    Hi Bill,

    Anyway, I did find what the problem was with the 1160 I have.
    It is doing okay for what I need.
    I am not selling prints, so it is not very important to replace it.
    I have printed a few photos on it and brought them to work.
    Some of the people think they are photo lab quality. I do not.
    I however, know the difference.

    There is a 0 and + switch on this prnter, and it was in the wrong
    position. So the thing is printing fine now.

    If I don't need to spend $500 on a new printer, I am not going to.
    Now, if the thing ever does give out... well, I will have to deal with
    it then.

    roland

    piperut, Jul 21, 2005