large format printer recommendations: epson vs hp

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Peterson, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. I have to make a decision between an epson 9600 plotter (with network card)
    in my office, or co-purchasing an hp 1055cm (with 2gb hard disk and extended
    warrantee) with another office. Neither of our offices process so much that
    there would be conflict in using the printer. I'm looking for any thoughts
    or opinions on these printers.

    To help stir-up some ideas, here are my premature opinions:

    1. Both options cost us about the same (full price of the epson or half
    price of the hp).

    2. Our printing is mainly maps, but often involving satellite imagery, and
    occasional landscape photos, so sharp, clear, high resolution prints are of
    some interest, though absolute color precision (such as in professional
    photography) is not a big deal.

    3. Since we are a small office without opportunities to upgrade, or even
    repair, expensive equipment often, reliability and durability are also a
    factor.

    4. One might think that since the hp is a more expensive printer, it should
    be a better and more durable printer...?

    5. We currently have an old, hp 755cm - its problems with detecting
    cartridge placement, and having printing errors 3/4 of the way through a
    poster-size print with no prior notification, has left a bad taste in my
    mouth about hp printers.

    6. We are in Nevada, where the humidity is so low that our 755cm cartridges
    frequently dry and clog - I've taken to keeping them in a humidified
    tupperware container between print jobs. Any similar experience with the
    1055 cartridges or 9600 cartridges would be useful to hear about!

    7. The epson claims to alow cartridge replacement mid-print, the hp does
    not appear to make this claim. (One headache with our 755 has been
    cartridges running out mid-print)

    8. The epson uses 7 colors (vs the hp 4) and has a higher resolution - does
    this really translate to much difference in print sharpness or ink use
    efficiency?

    9. The hp adds a hard disk, does this really make much difference for print
    jobs?

    10. With the epson, we would probably just take the 1 year warrantee, with
    the hp we would probably go with a 3 year warrantee... any warrantee
    experience with these printers would be good to know about.

    Thanks!
    -Eric
    Eric Peterson, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Eric Peterson

    Mark Guest

    I just bought a HP 1055cm Plus. I settled on this model because of the
    Paper handling (Multi-roll Feeder). Further opinions expressed below:

    "Eric Peterson" <> wrote in message
    > I have to make a decision between an epson 9600 plotter (with network

    card)
    > in my office, or co-purchasing an hp 1055cm (with 2gb hard disk and

    extended
    > warrantee) with another office. Neither of our offices process so much

    that
    > there would be conflict in using the printer. I'm looking for any

    thoughts
    > or opinions on these printers.
    >
    > To help stir-up some ideas, here are my premature opinions:
    >
    > 1. Both options cost us about the same (full price of the epson or half
    > price of the hp).
    >
    > 2. Our printing is mainly maps, but often involving satellite imagery, and
    > occasional landscape photos, so sharp, clear, high resolution prints are

    of
    > some interest, though absolute color precision (such as in professional
    > photography) is not a big deal.

    IMHO Epson Plotter had better output than the HP

    > 3. Since we are a small office without opportunities to upgrade, or even
    > repair, expensive equipment often, reliability and durability are also a
    > factor.

    I haven't had the plotter long enough to comment on durability, but on
    initial impression, the HP seems ruggedly built (Esp. compared to the HP
    750C that it replaced)

    > 4. One might think that since the hp is a more expensive printer, it

    should
    > be a better and more durable printer...?

    ????
    > 5. We currently have an old, hp 755cm - its problems with detecting
    > cartridge placement, and having printing errors 3/4 of the way through a
    > poster-size print with no prior notification, has left a bad taste in my
    > mouth about hp printers.

    My 750C had problems running out of memory quite often (esp. on 36" wide
    stuff). Haven't had any problems with the 1055 so far. And I'm using the
    post script drivers

    > 6. We are in Nevada, where the humidity is so low that our 755cm

    cartridges
    > frequently dry and clog - I've taken to keeping them in a humidified
    > tupperware container between print jobs. Any similar experience with the
    > 1055 cartridges or 9600 cartridges would be useful to hear about!

    The 1055 uses separate replaceable printheads. According to the literature,
    you should only have to replace the print heads until after 3-4 cartridges.
    And these are BIG cartridges (Physical size about 3"x5".

    > 7. The epson claims to alow cartridge replacement mid-print, the hp does
    > not appear to make this claim. (One headache with our 755 has been
    > cartridges running out mid-print)

    Cartridges can be switched mid-print. I haven't had the oppurtunity to try
    this yet, but I did remove and re-install a cartridge in mid print and it
    didn't even hiccup!

    > 8. The epson uses 7 colors (vs the hp 4) and has a higher resolution -

    does
    > this really translate to much difference in print sharpness or ink use
    > efficiency?

    From what I looked at, the Epson had better image quality. The printers I
    have used with 6-7 colors does not translate into more efficient ink use

    > 9. The hp adds a hard disk, does this really make much difference for

    print
    > jobs?

    For really big jobs, for repeat jobs and for multiple copies

    > 10. With the epson, we would probably just take the 1 year warrantee,

    with
    > the hp we would probably go with a 3 year warrantee... any warrantee
    > experience with these printers would be good to know about.

    It all depends on the VAR (provided that you are buying thru a VAR, If you
    are not, I would recommend finding one. VARS have a lot more pull to get to
    technical resources. And I actually got a better price through a VAR than
    buying direct from HP.

    > Thanks!
    > -Eric

    I hope all of this helps

    Mark
    Mark, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Eric Peterson

    Savidge4 Guest

    >I have to make a decision between an epson 9600 plotter (with network card)
    >in my office, or co-purchasing an hp 1055cm (with 2gb hard disk and extended
    >warrantee) with another office. Neither of our offices process so much that
    >there would be conflict in using the printer. I'm looking for any thoughts
    >or opinions on these printers.
    >
    >To help stir-up some ideas, here are my premature opinions:
    >
    >1. Both options cost us about the same (full price of the epson or half
    >price of the hp).
    >
    >2. Our printing is mainly maps, but often involving satellite imagery, and
    >occasional landscape photos, so sharp, clear, high resolution prints are of
    >some interest, though absolute color precision (such as in professional
    >photography) is not a big deal.
    >
    >3. Since we are a small office without opportunities to upgrade, or even
    >repair, expensive equipment often, reliability and durability are also a
    >factor.
    >
    >4. One might think that since the hp is a more expensive printer, it should
    >be a better and more durable printer...?
    >
    >5. We currently have an old, hp 755cm - its problems with detecting
    >cartridge placement, and having printing errors 3/4 of the way through a
    >poster-size print with no prior notification, has left a bad taste in my
    >mouth about hp printers.
    >
    >6. We are in Nevada, where the humidity is so low that our 755cm cartridges
    >frequently dry and clog - I've taken to keeping them in a humidified
    >tupperware container between print jobs. Any similar experience with the
    >1055 cartridges or 9600 cartridges would be useful to hear about!
    >
    >7. The epson claims to alow cartridge replacement mid-print, the hp does
    >not appear to make this claim. (One headache with our 755 has been
    >cartridges running out mid-print)
    >
    >8. The epson uses 7 colors (vs the hp 4) and has a higher resolution - does
    >this really translate to much difference in print sharpness or ink use
    >efficiency?
    >
    >9. The hp adds a hard disk, does this really make much difference for print
    >jobs?
    >
    >10. With the epson, we would probably just take the 1 year warrantee, with
    >the hp we would probably go with a 3 year warrantee... any warrantee
    >experience with these printers would be good to know about.

    Have you considered the HP Designjet 500? It uses the same dye based ink as
    the 1055 but gives you better print quality for less than half the price. just
    add on the HP-GL/2 accessory card and get the 160 MB max memory. This plotter
    was my personal choice for my Dye based ink system. Another plotter to
    consider is the Designjet 800. it has 2x the print quality and is stil in the
    $4000.00 range.

    The thing you want to consider is the ink systems. The Epson is Pigment ink,
    and the HP's are Dye ink. If Pigment ink is a consideration for you, the HP
    Designjet 5500 at right under $12,000.00 is your real consideration. you can
    find HP Designjet 5000's here and there for $5000.00 to $9000.00 and they are
    the same more or less to the 5500 but print slower.

    With regard to the HP line, i personally would not touch the 1055, it is a
    waste of money. The 500 and especially the 800 are a whole lot more machine,
    for far less money.

    Hope that helps!
    Savidge4, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Eric Peterson

    wayne Guest

    I can't speak for the Epson but we have several HP 1055cms in our offices we
    use them for cad drawing mostly and thy do real well the new models are a
    big improvement over the 75X series of plotters. For quality work I would
    look at a colorspan printer

    http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/9339.html

    Not that cheap but we have a X-12 in our graphics department and there is no
    contest as to the output quality. The colorspan unit use 1 liter boxes of
    ink and there are many different kinds available we use 2 sets of 6 colors
    for additional speed and have been very happy with the quality. It may be
    more than you wanted to spend but there is a whole word of difference in the
    quality the entry level colorspan lists for 14K

    Wayne

    wayne, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Eric Peterson

    bob Guest

    "Eric Peterson" <> wrote in news:RaF2d.4393
    $:

    > 5. We currently have an old, hp 755cm - its problems with detecting
    > cartridge placement, and having printing errors 3/4 of the way through a
    > poster-size print with no prior notification, has left a bad taste in my
    > mouth about hp printers.

    We just got a used 755cm for printing maps and things. I like it pretty
    well. Do you have the new drivers? I think they're from April... I have
    seen printing errors on some of the prints.

    As to your real question, based on the advertising and specs, my
    _impression_ is that HP is more interested in business graphics, while
    epson is more interested in photography.

    What I would do if I were you is make a sample of something you typically
    print (as a pdf) and get them printed on each printer.

    If you share the printer, who's going to be responsible for the supplies...

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob, Sep 18, 2004