    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    http://www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 23:06:14 GMT, Jim S <> wrote:

    >My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails because a
    >very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he pays by
    >the minute.
    >I there a way to clear this?

    If his mail provider offers a web interface, log in and delete or
    otherwise remove the message.
    Evan Platt, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Jim S wrote:

    >My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails because a
    >very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he pays by
    >the minute.
    >I there a way to clear this?

    Telnet into the server and 'dele' it.

    http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/pop3telnet.htm
    Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007
  4. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Jun 1, 2007
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    >>http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/pop3telnet.htm

    >Oh God, best of luck with that.

    Why? It's easy.

    1> start - run - cmd (from Windows Start button)
    2> telnet mail.yourserver.com 110
    3> user (username)
    4> pass (password)
    5> dele 25 (or whatever the message number that hangs is)
    6> quit

    If done it hundreds of times for users.
    Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Jim S

    Guest

    On May 31, 7:06 pm, Jim S <> wrote:
    > My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails because a
    > very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he pays by
    > the minute.
    > I there a way to clear this?
    > --
    > Jim S
    > Tyneside UKhttp://www.jimscott.co.uk

    I like to use www.mail2web.com to free up mail jams. Enter in your
    email address and password and it'll log in to your account. select
    the large email(s) and remove...all set.
    , Jun 1, 2007
  7. Jim S

    Guest

    , Jun 1, 2007
  8. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:50:43 -0500, Clancy Wiggum <>
    wrote:

    >Why? It's easy.
    >
    >1> start - run - cmd (from Windows Start button)
    >2> telnet mail.yourserver.com 110
    >3> user (username)
    >4> pass (password)
    >5> dele 25 (or whatever the message number that hangs is)
    >6> quit
    >
    >If done it hundreds of times for users.

    Yeah, I've done it quite often, having worked at an ISP for almost 10
    years.

    Would I ever suggest a end user do it? No way. Especially some of the
    end (l)users here.
    Evan Platt, Jun 1, 2007
  9. Evan Platt wrote:

    >Yeah, I've done it quite often, having worked at an ISP for almost 10
    >years.
    >
    >Would I ever suggest a end user do it? No way. Especially some of the
    >end (l)users here.

    I try not to pre-qualify people that post here since the range of
    experience varies from none to guru..

    If someone comes back with a "duh" response, I'll dumb it down.. But I
    would expect (and hope) that someone offering help to me when I need
    it would not assume I'm a novice.
    Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007
  10. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On 31 May 2007 17:24:02 -0700, wrote:

    > On May 31, 7:06 pm, Jim S <> wrote:
    >> My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails because a
    >> very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he pays by
    >> the minute.
    >> I there a way to clear this?
    >> --
    >> Jim S
    >> Tyneside UKhttp://www.jimscott.co.uk

    > I like to use www.mail2web.com to free up mail jams. Enter in your
    > email address and password and it'll log in to your account. select
    > the large email(s) and remove...all set.

    Thanks.
    That works here so I will pass the site address along.
    I have also suggested he try Orange webmail.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jun 1, 2007
  11. Jim S

    Vanguard Guest

    "Jim S" wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails
    >>> because a
    >>> very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he
    >>> pays by
    >>> the minute.
    >>> I there a way to clear this?

    >> I like to use www.mail2web.com to free up mail jams. Enter in your
    >> email address and password and it'll log in to your account. select
    >> the large email(s) and remove...all set.

    > Thanks.
    > That works here so I will pass the site address along.
    > I have also suggested he try Orange webmail.

    Geez, just use the ISP's or e-mail provider's webmail interface. Then
    you don't have to give a 3rd party (in Canada) your account's password.
    Vanguard, Jun 1, 2007
  12. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 07:37:34 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

    > "Jim S" wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >>> I like to use www.mail2web.com to free up mail jams. Enter in your
    >>> email address and password and it'll log in to your account. select
    >>> the large email(s) and remove...all set.

    >> Thanks.
    >> That works here so I will pass the site address along.
    >> I have also suggested he try Orange webmail.

    > Geez, just use the ISP's or e-mail provider's webmail interface. Then
    > you don't have to give a 3rd party (in Canada) your account's password.

    I believe Orange IS Freeserve's webmail.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jun 1, 2007
  13. Jim S

    Tester Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 23:06:14 GMT, Jim S <> wrote:

    >My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails because a
    >very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he pays by
    >the minute.
    >I there a way to clear this?

    Download the small file http://www.vulnwatch.org/netcat/nc111nt.zip

    Unzip it to a folder. All you need is nc.exe.

    Open a DOS box in the folder.

    Now, create the following text file list.txt

    ------------------------
    user hisusername
    pass hispassword
    list
    quit
    -----------------------

    Now, run the following line in the DOS boc.

    nc pop.freeserve.co.uk 110 < list.txt | more

    This will list all his email messages with their sizes.

    Let's say he wants to delete message #8

    Make the file delete8.txt

    ------------------------
    user hisusername
    pass hispassword
    dele 8
    quit
    -----------------------

    nc pop.freeserve.co.uk 110 < delete8.txt

    If he wamts to see the first 50 lines of message #8 then the command
    in the text file is "top 8 50".
    Tester, Jun 1, 2007
  14. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:37:54 GMT, Tester wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 May 2007 23:06:14 GMT, Jim S <> wrote:
    >
    >>My friend is on dial-up (Freeserve UK) and cannot receive emails because a
    >>very large email is taking at least 20 minutes to download and he pays by
    >>the minute.
    >>I there a way to clear this?

    > Download the small file http://www.vulnwatch.org/netcat/nc111nt.zip
    >
    > Unzip it to a folder. All you need is nc.exe.
    >
    > Open a DOS box in the folder.
    >
    > Now, create the following text file list.txt
    >
    > ------------------------
    > user hisusername
    > pass hispassword
    > list
    > quit
    > -----------------------
    >
    > Now, run the following line in the DOS boc.
    >
    > nc pop.freeserve.co.uk 110 < list.txt | more
    >
    > This will list all his email messages with their sizes.
    >
    > Let's say he wants to delete message #8
    >
    > Make the file delete8.txt
    >
    > ------------------------
    > user hisusername
    > pass hispassword
    > dele 8
    > quit
    >
    > nc pop.freeserve.co.uk 110 < delete8.txt
    >
    > If he wamts to see the first 50 lines of message #8 then the command
    > in the text file is "top 8 50".

    Sorry. My friend did not realise he has webmail so what chance has that lot
    got?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK