    Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
    can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
    nvidia nForce 220.
    David, Nov 7, 2005

  2. David

    thing2 Guest

    David wrote:
    > Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
    > can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
    > nvidia nForce 220.

    Go look at your board manufacturers website, you may have to download
    and install a new bios.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Nov 7, 2005

  3. David

    David Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my
    >> system can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is
    >> an nvidia nForce 220.

    > Go look at your board manufacturers website, you may have to download
    > and install a new bios.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Its a compaq presario (6622NZ), unfortunately the website is very unhelpful.
    David, Nov 7, 2005
  4. David

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:26:50 +1300, David
    <> wrote:

    >thing2 wrote:
    >> David wrote:
    >>
    >>> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my
    >>> system can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is
    >>> an nvidia nForce 220.

    >> Go look at your board manufacturers website, you may have to download
    >> and install a new bios.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    >Its a compaq presario (6622NZ), unfortunately the website is very unhelpful.

    That's Compaq. I would guess that it should be compatible, unless you
    are using Win98*. The drive manufacturer may have a patch if it isn't
    compatible.
    GraB, Nov 7, 2005
  5. David

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:33:18 +1300, David wrote:

    > Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
    > can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
    > nvidia nForce 220.

    nvidia have not been into other than graphic chipsets. If the PC is
    younger than 3 years old i would say 250GB okay.

    If not the HD manufacturer's site probably has some software to make it
    work.
    Gordon, Nov 7, 2005
  6. David

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > nvidia have not been into other than graphic chipsets.

    Oh! Who made the nForce chipset in the PC I'm posting this from then?

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 7, 2005
  7. David

    David Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >

    >> nvidia have not been into other than graphic chipsets.

    > Oh! Who made the nForce chipset in the PC I'm posting this from then?

    hmm, isnt the nForce 4 the best selling AMD-supporting chipset at the
    moment?
    David, Nov 7, 2005
  8. David

    Ray Greene Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
    >can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
    >nvidia nForce 220.

    It mostly depends on your operating system, unless you need to access the
    hard drive from a DOS boot disk. Have a look at the thread "Win2k biglba
    support" from a few days ago.

    My old Compaq 500 can see a 200GB drive OK after I changed the registry
    setting mentioned in the other thread. I recently installed a version of
    Linux on an ancient P150 and it sees a 200GB drive. (It's a very simple file
    server on a boot CD from http://www.serverelements.com if anyone is
    interested)

    Neither machine will let me partition the hard drive from a Partition Magic
    boot disk though, obviously PM needs the BIOS to see the drive correctly.

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, Nov 7, 2005
  9. David

    David Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:33:18 +1300, David
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
    >>can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
    >>nvidia nForce 220.

    > It mostly depends on your operating system, unless you need to access the
    > hard drive from a DOS boot disk. Have a look at the thread "Win2k biglba
    > support" from a few days ago.
    >
    > My old Compaq 500 can see a 200GB drive OK after I changed the registry
    > setting mentioned in the other thread. I recently installed a version of
    > Linux on an ancient P150 and it sees a 200GB drive. (It's a very simple file
    > server on a boot CD from http://www.serverelements.com if anyone is
    > interested)
    >
    > Neither machine will let me partition the hard drive from a Partition Magic
    > boot disk though, obviously PM needs the BIOS to see the drive correctly.

    Thanks, I'm running XP SP2, so I shouldn't have a problem there.
    David, Nov 7, 2005
  10. David

    David Guest

    David wrote:
    > Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
    > can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
    > nvidia nForce 220.

    Thanks for all the replies, HP replied to my query and it is supported.
    David, Nov 7, 2005