    I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    better options out there that I might have missed.
    BD, Nov 9, 2009

  2. BD

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
    > images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
    > of time.
    >
    > I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    > with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    > better options out there that I might have missed.

    My Dell netbook works well.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Nov 9, 2009

  3. BD <> wrote:
    >Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
    >images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
    >of time.
    >
    >I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    >with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    >better options out there that I might have missed.

    Depending upon your needs: a netbook with an attached 1TB USB HD.
    With a simple netbook this combination will cost you around 350-400$ US.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Nov 10, 2009
  4. BD

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article
    <>,
    BD <> wrote:

    > Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
    > images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
    > of time.
    >
    > I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    > with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    > better options out there that I might have missed.

    A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook might
    be suitable too.
    Shawn Hirn, Nov 10, 2009
  5. BD

    Charles Guest

    "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message

    > "BD" <> wrote in message
    >> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
    >> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
    >> of time.
    >>
    >> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    >> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    >> better options out there that I might have missed.

    > My Dell netbook works well.

    Also, you can inexpensively expand a notebook/laptop with:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=3169237851&ref=pd_sl_5tybbsmdz7_e
    Charles, Nov 11, 2009
  6. BD

    BD Guest

    On Nov 9, 3:07 pm, Larry Thong <> wrote:
    > Savageduck wrote:
    > >> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    > >> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    > >> better options out there that I might have missed.

    > > Check on the Colorspace UDMA from Hyperdrive;
    > >http://www.hypershop.com/

    > Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony show.
    >   I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of options
    > and decent storage space in a very small package.  You can always add
    > cheap external USB storage as well.  Trust me, I've got the Epson
    > version of this thing and it just sits in the drawer after the one and
    > only time I used it.

    Wanna sell it?? ;)

    Seriously... thanks all, for the feedback. I'm kind of on the fence:
    I'm not a laptop-using kind of guy (I have one, and it just gathers
    dust), so the small size of the UDMA is appealing. I'm concerned about
    the device not keeping up with raw file format changes, that kind of
    thing. If I can find a UDMA used, I might consider it - failing that,
    I'll watch for good deals on netbooks. It's a bit more than I'd prefer
    to carry around, but would probably be useful in other contexts as
    well.
    BD, Nov 13, 2009
  7. BD

    -hh Guest

    > Shawn Hirn <> said:
    > >  BD <> wrote:

    > >> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
    > >> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
    > >> of time.

    > >> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
    > >> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
    > >> better options out there that I might have missed.

    FWIW, I looked into the iPod route 3-4 years ago. At that time, the
    transfer speeds were utterly unacceptable. I ended up getting a pair
    (redundancy) of the then-new Hyperdrive HD80's. If I were to lose
    them, I'd replace them with the same (only newer model) today.

    > > A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook might
    > > be suitable too.

    > .A laptop can be a squeeze in your pocket. I use a laptop, a Colorspace
    > UDMA and a Firewire drive for redundant backup.

    A couple of pounds of laptop can also be a non-starter when trying to
    fit all of ones gear *and clothing* into a 15kg weight limit on bush
    planes, etc. Ditto for when you need to have something that can do
    XX GB amount of data backups on but a single battery recharge.

    The good news is that Flash Memory has gotten tremendously cheaper
    over the past few years, so the choice of a dedicated wallet-esque
    device can be considered vs. the alternative of simply buying gobs of
    reasonably fast CF/SD cards.

    -hh
    -hh, Nov 14, 2009
  8. BD

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, -hh <> wrote:
    >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> Shawn Hirn <> said:

    >FWIW, I looked into the iPod route 3-4 years ago. At that time, the
    >transfer speeds were utterly unacceptable. I ended up getting a pair
    >(redundancy) of the then-new Hyperdrive HD80's. If I were to lose
    >them, I'd replace them with the same (only newer model) today.
    >
    >> > A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook migh=

    >> > be suitable too.

    >> .A laptop can be a squeeze in your pocket. I use a laptop, a Colorspace
    >> UDMA and a Firewire drive for redundant backup.

    >A couple of pounds of laptop can also be a non-starter when trying to
    >fit all of ones gear *and clothing* into a 15kg weight limit on bush
    >planes, etc. Ditto for when you need to have something that can do
    >XX GB amount of data backups on but a single battery recharge.
    >
    >The good news is that Flash Memory has gotten tremendously cheaper
    >over the past few years, so the choice of a dedicated wallet-esque
    >device can be considered vs. the alternative of simply buying gobs of
    >reasonably fast CF/SD cards.
    >

    >-hh

    Agreed, the 32GB SSHD cards i have store well over 10000 pics at the highest
    setting on my camera.
    GMAN, Nov 15, 2009
  9. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > What do you do for a redundant backup of that card

    use a camera that has 2 slots and allows simultaneous use.
    No other way (outside transmitting the image via WiFi or firewire
    or similar to a second location --- which can be hard in the
    field), if you always need a redundant backup.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 16, 2009
  10. BD

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2009-11-09 15:07:19 -0800, Larry Thong <> said:

    <edited for brevity>

    > I have the 250GB UDMA, and it is easy to carry in a pocket as compared
    > with even a netbook, downloads are reasonably quick. It is quick and
    > easy to do incremental backups.
    >
    > I use it mainly during trips as a travelling backup, soon to be used
    > extensively when I leave for Africa next week.

    Be careful! Do you know what those cannibals always say?

    "You are who you eat."

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Paintings Pain and Pun <http://laughatthepain.blogspot.com>
    ÄØÛØÜÞÝ »ÐÚÞÒØÔ, Nov 24, 2009
  12. BD

    -hh Guest

    ÄØÛØÜÞÝ »ÐÚÞÒØÔ <> wrote:
    > Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony
    > show.

    YMMV as to how much storage you want, although since the internal SATA
    disk being used is a marketplace commodity you're going to pay about
    the same price for it no matter what is wrapped around it.

    For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
    drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
    see fit...$300 to $350 total.

    >  I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of
    > options and decent Backup 120GB on a single chargestorage space in a very small package.

    True in that an Atom does afford more options, but there's no such
    thing as a free lunch. So while it might be "small enough' for your
    interests, there are indeed smaller options.

    For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size
    (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
    ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
    charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
    1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
    consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
    the same envelope.

    > You can always add cheap external USB storage as well.

    True, but you better have grid power available, due to the big hit in
    transfer speeds you'll take.

    > Trust me, I've got the Epson version of this thing and it just
    > sits in the drawer after the one and only time I used it.

    Perhaps because you bought the fancy Epson version? I have a pair
    of the older Hyperdrive HD80's and they've gone with me on every
    "Expeditionary" photo trip I take.

    -hh
    -hh, Nov 24, 2009
  13. -hh <> wrote:
    >For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
    >drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
    >see fit...$300 to $350 total.

    That's way overpriced! Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
    internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Nov 24, 2009
  14. BD

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    > -hh <> wrote:
    > >For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
    > >drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
    > >see fit...$300 to $350 total.

    > That's way overpriced!

    not really.

    > Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
    > internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.

    shop around for some reading glasses and reread what he wrote. the
    hyperdrive is a portable storage device, so he's talking about *laptop*
    drives, not desktop drives.
    nospam, Nov 24, 2009
  15. nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Jürgen Exner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> -hh <> wrote:
    >> >For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
    >> >drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
    >> >see fit...$300 to $350 total.

    >> That's way overpriced!

    >not really.
    >
    >> Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
    >> internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.

    >shop around for some reading glasses and reread what he wrote. the
    >hyperdrive is a portable storage device, so he's talking about *laptop*
    >drives, not desktop drives.

    Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
    2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).
    If that is the case, then yes, 2.5" drives are significantly more
    expensive than 3.5" drives, indeed.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Nov 24, 2009
  16. BD

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    > Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
    > 2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).

    it wasn't??

    > > For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size

    which desktop drive fits in that space?

    > > (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
    > > ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
    > > charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
    > > 1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
    > > consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
    > > the same envelope.

    desktop drive on battery power? 270g ?
    nospam, Nov 24, 2009
  17. BD

    -hh Guest

    nospam <> wrote:
    > Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    > > Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
    > > 2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).

    > it wasn't??
    >
    > > > For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size

    > which desktop drive fits in that space?

    While I apologize for not being far more explicit, I didn't believe
    that it was particularly necessary to do so, since the item of
    comparison (an Atom Netbook) doesn't run off of a desktop 3.5" drive
    either.

    > > > (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
    > > > ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
    > > > charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
    > > > 1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
    > > > consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
    > > > the same envelope.

    > desktop drive on battery power? 270g ?

    Since a specific product was named, one could have also tried a quick
    Google before challenging. To be helpful, here's the relevant product
    page which does explicitly state that it takes a 2.5" SATA:

    <http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-Casing-Only-p/
    hdcsu-000.htm>

    FWIW, the battery power supply on the old Hyperdrive HD-80 that I have
    consists of four (4) AA's ... the new Colorspace has replaced this
    with a single 3.7v Li-Ion LG 18650 2600mAh battery.

    FYI, it also appears that I erroniously quoted the specifications of
    the previous "Colorspace" (not the current "Colorspace UDMA") model,
    which results in some minor discrepancies.

    Size: I said approx 5x3x1 ... exact values are: 5.25" x 2.95" x
    1" (133 x 75 x 26 mm)

    Weight: I had said 9.5/270gr...its now 10.5 ounce (298g)

    GB transfer per battery charge: I had said 120GB ... its now 250GB.

    All in all, its a pretty nice device for when it makes sense to
    have. Its real niche is for when you want more capacity than your
    [CF] cards alone, while also having weight (and/or power) limitations
    that discourage a laptop/netbook type of solution. This isn't
    necessarily a common problem, but it isn't an impossible one either:
    I've run into it in bush plane flights on three continents.

    -hh
    -hh, Nov 24, 2009