    hard drive, it always creates a huge file? I thought that only the first one
    should be big and then all subsequent backups would be small b/c it only
    copies changes? Thanks

    Steve, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Steve

    kemp Guest

    Hello Steve,

    > How come when I use Windows Backup and Restore Center to back up my
    > entire hard drive, it always creates a huge file? I thought that only
    > the first one should be big and then all subsequent backups would be
    > small b/c it only copies changes? Thanks

    You must specify the type of backup you want to do. A "Full Backup" will
    put everything into one file like what you experienced. A "Differential Backup"
    will put all files changed since your last full backup into a smaller file.
    An "Incremental Backup" will put all files changed since the last incremental
    backup into an even smaller file.

    In order to do a Full Restore you will need to use one of these methods:
    1) Restore the last Full Backup.
    2) Restore the last Full Backup and the last Differential Backup in chronological
    order.
    3) Restore the last Full Backup and all Incremental Backups in chronological
    order

    kemp, Mar 25, 2008

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    OK, so when I have the Backup Center automatically back up my computer
    (monthly, in my case), by default doesn't it use incremental backups? I
    thought it did but then it seems to be creating full backups each time.

    Steve, Mar 25, 2008
  4. Steve

    kemp Guest

    Hello Steve,

    > OK, so when I have the Backup Center automatically back up my computer
    > (monthly, in my case), by default doesn't it use incremental backups?
    > I thought it did but then it seems to be creating full backups each
    > time.
    >
    > "kemp" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Steve,
    >>
    >>> How come when I use Windows Backup and Restore Center to back up my
    >>> entire hard drive, it always creates a huge file? I thought that
    >>> only the first one should be big and then all subsequent backups
    >>> would be small b/c it only copies changes? Thanks
    >>>

    >> You must specify the type of backup you want to do. A "Full Backup"
    >> will put everything into one file like what you experienced. A
    >> "Differential Backup" will put all files changed since your last full
    >> backup into a smaller file. An "Incremental Backup" will put all
    >> files changed since the last incremental backup into an even smaller
    >> file.
    >>
    >> In order to do a Full Restore you will need to use one of these
    >> methods:
    >> 1) Restore the last Full Backup.
    >> 2) Restore the last Full Backup and the last Differential Backup in
    >> chronological
    >> order.
    >> 3) Restore the last Full Backup and all Incremental Backups in
    >> chronological
    >> order.

    No, it is likely doing full backups because this is the most efficient way
    to restore the files you may need in the future without having to refer to
    multiple backup files. You must customize it to use the other options.

    kemp, Mar 25, 2008
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Ok, I'll look into the options a bit more. Thanks!

    Steve, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    After a bit of looking I cannot find where to specify what types of backup to
    do. Where is that option? I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium. Thanks!

    Steve, Mar 30, 2008