Laptops XP Logins

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.

    The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

    The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Patrick Dunford

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    >
    > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    >
    > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?


    What's wrong with logging on to the domain when you're not physically
    connected to it? (The logon goes fine - uses cached credentials). VPN
    to the domain (if req'd). OWA to exchange. Where's the prob ???

    The only thing (domain wise) is that it might be prudent to have some AD
    OU's like: "Desktop" and "Portable" (or whatever) and apply a tighter
    lockdown for portable users. (MS have something on that somewhere on
    their website - and MS's Security Guidance Kit (I think that's what it's
    called).

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.


    If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    cached copy of their network profile.
    Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
    "local logon" anyway.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
    #3
  4. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    20:23:52 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz
    <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

    >
    > If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    > cached copy of their network profile.
    > Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    > that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
    > "local logon" anyway.


    So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
    connected?
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
    #4
  5. Patrick Dunford

    K T T Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    > 20:23:52 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz
    > <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    >>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    >>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

    >>
    >>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    >>cached copy of their network profile.
    >>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    >>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
    >>"local logon" anyway.

    >
    >
    > So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
    > connected?
    >

    Yes
    K T T, Aug 16, 2004
    #5
  6. Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    >
    > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    >
    > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?


    Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
    and then you can login offline with the same account
    Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 16, 2004
    #6
  7. In article <> in nz.comp
    on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    > >
    > > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    > >
    > > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

    >
    > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
    > and then you can login offline with the same account
    > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default


    Probably on, but we never tried it :)

    Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
    #7
  8. In article <> in nz.comp
    on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp
    > on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <> says...
    > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > > > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > > > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    > > >
    > > > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > > > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > > > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    > > >
    > > > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > > > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > > > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

    > >
    > > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
    > > and then you can login offline with the same account
    > > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

    >
    > Probably on, but we never tried it :)
    >
    > Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?


    I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    profile.

    We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
    #8
  9. Patrick Dunford

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp
    > on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> says...
    > > In article <> in nz.comp
    > > on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <> says...
    > > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > > > > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > > > > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    > > > >
    > > > > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > > > > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > > > > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    > > > >
    > > > > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > > > > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > > > > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?
    > > >
    > > > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
    > > > and then you can login offline with the same account
    > > > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

    > >
    > > Probably on, but we never tried it :)
    > >
    > > Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?

    >
    > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > profile.
    >
    > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.


    *Cached logon credentials* - nothing to do with the profile - per se.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 16, 2004
    #9
  10. Patrick Dunford

    Terry Guest

    There is an entry in the Group Policy that allows you to remove portions of
    the profile from roaming. This means these folders/files will not copy to
    the network, thereby bloating the network copy of the roaming profile.
    Run gpedit.msc
    Go to:
    UC\AT\S\UP\Exclude directories in roaming profile

    UC means User Configuration, the rest you should be able to work out. There
    is a limit to the number of characters that can be entered here, not in
    terms of stopping you from typing more, but it stops working if the limit is
    exceeded. Microsoft has a KB on it, not sure what the number is at present.
    They have other articles about this feature as well.

    I personally exclude:
    Start Menu;Desktop;My Documents;My Documents\My Pictures;Application
    Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

    Some of these fodlers not only represent lots in terms of file sizes, but
    also in the last instance, lots of little files (shortcuts), which with the
    block size on the network result in a lot of slack space, and lots of time
    taken to copy up and down (well check anyway each time a logon/logoff
    occurs).

    Terry...
    Terry, Aug 16, 2004
    #10
  11. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    >>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    >>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.


    >>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    >>cached copy of their network profile.
    >>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    >>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
    >>"local logon" anyway.


    > So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
    > connected?


    nope, but you can logon using the cached credentials.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
    #11
  12. Patrick Dunford

    Disco Stu Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > profile.
    >
    > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.


    I create local user accounts for use when off network.

    Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.
    Disco Stu, Aug 19, 2004
    #12
  13. Disco Stu wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >> I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    >> profile.
    >>
    >> We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    >> profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    >> logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile
    >> size.

    >
    > I create local user accounts for use when off network.


    Not necessary - see my reply above....
    >
    > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about
    > it.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Aug 19, 2004
    #13
  14. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
    Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > > profile.
    > >
    > > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

    >
    > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    >
    > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.


    But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    settings.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 19, 2004
    #14
  15. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>>I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    >>>profile.
    >>>We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    >>>profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    >>>logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.


    >>I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    >>Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.


    > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > settings.


    and permissions.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 19, 2004
    #15
  16. Patrick Dunford

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
    > Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
    > says...
    > > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > > > profile.
    > > >
    > > > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > > > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > > > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

    > >
    > > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    > >
    > > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

    >
    > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > settings.


    So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
    now ???

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 20, 2004
    #16
  17. In article <> in nz.comp
    on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:26:34 +1200, T-Boy <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    > > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
    > > Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
    > > says...
    > > > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > > > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > > > > profile.
    > > > >
    > > > > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > > > > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > > > > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.
    > > >
    > > > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    > > >
    > > > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

    > >
    > > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > > settings.

    >
    > So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
    > now ???


    Try reading.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 21, 2004
    #17
  18. Patrick Dunford

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp
    > on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:26:34 +1200, T-Boy <> says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > lid says...
    > > > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
    > > > Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
    > > > says...
    > > > > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > > > > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > > > > > profile.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > > > > > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > > > > > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.
    > > > >
    > > > > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    > > > >
    > > > > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.
    > > >
    > > > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > > > settings.

    > >
    > > So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
    > > now ???

    >
    > Try reading.


    10 x - yer blind!



    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: T-Boy <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:26:11 +1200

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    >
    > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    >
    > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?


    What's wrong with logging on to the domain when you're not physically
    connected to it? (The logon goes fine - uses cached credentials). VPN
    to the domain (if req'd). OWA to exchange. Where's the prob ???

    The only thing (domain wise) is that it might be prudent to have some AD
    OU's like: "Desktop" and "Portable" (or whatever) and apply a tighter
    lockdown for portable users. (MS have something on that somewhere on
    their website - and MS's Security Guidance Kit (I think that's what it's
    called).

    --
    Duncan


    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:23:52 +1200

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.


    If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    cached copy of their network profile.
    Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
    "local logon" anyway.


    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: K T T <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:08:40 +1200

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    > 20:23:52 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz
    > <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    >>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile

    from
    >>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

    >>
    >>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    >>cached copy of their network profile.
    >>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    >>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly

    a
    >>"local logon" anyway.

    >
    >
    > So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
    > connected?
    >

    Yes


    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:27:34 +1200

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    >>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile

    from
    >>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.


    >>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
    >>cached copy of their network profile.
    >>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
    >>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly

    a
    >>"local logon" anyway.


    > So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
    > connected?


    nope, but you can logon using the cached credentials.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: (Nathan Mercer)
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:
    <>...
    > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    >
    > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    >
    > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?


    Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
    and then you can login offline with the same account
    Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

    Cheers
    Nathan


    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: T-Boy <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:23:24 +1200

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp
    > on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> says...
    > > In article <> in nz.comp
    > > on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <> says...
    > > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
    > > > > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
    > > > > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
    > > > >
    > > > > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
    > > > > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
    > > > > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
    > > > >
    > > > > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
    > > > > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
    > > > > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?
    > > >
    > > > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
    > > > and then you can login offline with the same account
    > > > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

    > >
    > > Probably on, but we never tried it :)
    > >
    > > Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?

    >
    > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > profile.
    >
    > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.


    *Cached logon credentials* - nothing to do with the profile - per se.

    --
    Duncan


    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: "Terry" <>
    Newsgroups: nz.comp
    Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:22:24 +1200

    There is an entry in the Group Policy that allows you to remove portions
    of
    the profile from roaming. This means these folders/files will not copy
    to
    the network, thereby bloating the network copy of the roaming profile.
    Run gpedit.msc
    Go to:
    UC\AT\S\UP\Exclude directories in roaming profile

    UC means User Configuration, the rest you should be able to work out.
    There
    is a limit to the number of characters that can be entered here, not in
    terms of stopping you from typing more, but it stops working if the
    limit is
    exceeded. Microsoft has a KB on it, not sure what the number is at
    present.
    They have other articles about this feature as well.

    I personally exclude:
    Start Menu;Desktop;My Documents;My Documents\My Pictures;Application
    Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

    Some of these fodlers not only represent lots in terms of file sizes,
    but
    also in the last instance, lots of little files (shortcuts), which with
    the
    block size on the network result in a lot of slack space, and lots of
    time
    taken to copy up and down (well check anyway each time a logon/logoff
    occurs).

    Terry...




    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > profile.
    >
    > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.


    I create local user accounts for use when off network.

    Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about
    it.


    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:47:45 -0400

    Disco Stu wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >> I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    >> profile.
    >>
    >> We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    >> profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    >> logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile
    >> size.

    >
    > I create local user accounts for use when off network.


    Not necessary - see my reply above....
    >
    > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about
    > it.





    Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
    From: "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
    Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:11:44 +1200

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>>I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    >>>profile.
    >>>We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    >>>profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    >>>logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile

    size.

    >>I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    >>Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about

    it.

    > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > settings.


    and permissions.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz




    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 21, 2004
    #18
  19. In article <> in nz.comp
    on Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:34:31 +1200, T-Boy <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    > > In article <> in nz.comp
    > > on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:26:34 +1200, T-Boy <> says...
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > lid says...
    > > > > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
    > > > > Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
    > > > > says...
    > > > > > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > > > > > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > > > > > > profile.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > > > > > > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > > > > > > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.
    > > > >
    > > > > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > > > > settings.
    > > >
    > > > So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
    > > > now ???

    > >
    > > Try reading.

    >
    > 10 x - yer blind!


    You are wrong. I was replying to the previous poster who said he created
    separate offline logins.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 22, 2004
    #19
  20. Patrick Dunford

    Rob Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >>>I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
    > >>>profile.
    > >>>We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
    > >>>profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
    > >>>logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

    >
    > >>I create local user accounts for use when off network.
    > >>Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

    >
    > > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
    > > settings.

    >
    > and permissions.


    Login as the local user and set their domain credentials in the
    Control Panel:


    In Control Panel, go User Accounts -> User Accounts -> Advanced (tab)
    -> Manage Passwords -> Add

    Put in "domainname\*" for the Server field and the other credentials
    are self-explanatory.

    Now they can login locally but access all domain resources as if they
    had logged in to the domain. I've done this for a few laptop users
    and they can use Exchange and everything whilst only having one
    profile.
    Rob, Aug 24, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rob Nicholson
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    610
    Rob Nicholson
    Nov 29, 2005
  2. Jason
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    657
    Jason
    Apr 28, 2004
  3. Matt
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    363
    Chris
    May 21, 2004
  4. Pavlov
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    578
    Pavlov
    Nov 23, 2004
  5. Mark

    Laptops,laptops

    Mark, Sep 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    475
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
    Sep 20, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page