    --
    We may not return the affection of those who like us,
    but we always respect their good judgement.
    cnw, Jun 17, 2005

  2. cnw

    Parko Guest

    cnw wrote:

    I only ever pay AUD33 for Windows anything, so why bother?

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Jun 17, 2005

  3. cnw

    Usenet Guest

    "cnw" <> wrote ...
    > I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item

    without
    > Windows pre-installed?

    Yes, Tiny sell them (UK) and recommend XP but it aint pre-installed AFAIK
    http://laptops.tiny.com/
    Usenet, Jun 17, 2005
  4. cnw

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:46:08 GMT, Usenet wrote:

    >"cnw" <> wrote ...
    >> I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item

    >without
    >> Windows pre-installed?

    >Yes, Tiny sell them (UK) and recommend XP but it aint pre-installed AFAIK
    >http://laptops.tiny.com/

    That's not nice, recommending them to someone :)

    Me
    why?, Jun 17, 2005
  5. cnw

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:02:23 +0100, cnw wrote:

    >I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item without
    >Windows pre-installed?

    Sometimes it helps to mention which country you are in.
    http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug-chat/2005/04/msg00013.html

    >Alternatively, is it possible to get a rebate from Microsoft for an OS I'll
    >never use? I intend to run Linux or FreeBSD on this machine.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows rebate linux

    There are places in the UK that sell Linux laptops, using a generic
    search at www.google.com should turn up others.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux preinstalled laptop
    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 33,500 English pages for
    linux preinstalled laptop
    (0.19 seconds)

    Me
    why?, Jun 17, 2005
  6. cnw

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:02:23 +0100, cnw <> wrote:

    >I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item without
    >Windows pre-installed?

    There are places which specialize in Linux-based computers and every
    so often you see a computer on ebay without any O/S.

    Here's a biz that sells Linux laptops in the U.S.

    http://www.linuxcertified.com/
    Joel Rubin, Jun 17, 2005
  7. cnw

    unwashed Guest

    "cnw" <> wrote in message
    > I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item
    > without
    > Windows pre-installed?
    >
    > Alternatively, is it possible to get a rebate from Microsoft for an OS
    > I'll
    > never use? I intend to run Linux or FreeBSD on this machine.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > We may not return the affection of those who like us,
    > but we always respect their good judgement.

    When PC's/Laptops are sold with the OS pre-installed,
    the OEM has licensed a "version" from MS.
    It a "batch", You won't get an original Windows installation
    disk, it will be a "back-up", once on a disk, but now more
    commonly on a partition.
    Your issue isn't with MS, but with the laptop producer -
    and it is doubtful you'll get any "rebate" from them -
    For the "batch" license of an OS that they will install on
    a set number of laptops, it works out at a few bucks.
    Just buy whatever laptop you want, format and install
    whatever silly OS/drivers/software you want to.
    Why Linux? Little software, serious incompatibilty, poor
    driver support, - you have to be a serious hater of MS
    and apple to want to go the open source route?
    unwashed, Jun 17, 2005
  8. cnw

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:58:44 +0000 (UTC), unwashed wrote:

    >"cnw" <> wrote in message
    >> I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item
    >> without
    >> Windows pre-installed?
    >>
    >> Alternatively, is it possible to get a rebate from Microsoft for an OS
    >> I'll
    >> never use? I intend to run Linux or FreeBSD on this machine.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> --
    >> We may not return the affection of those who like us,
    >> but we always respect their good judgement.

    >When PC's/Laptops are sold with the OS pre-installed,
    >the OEM has licensed a "version" from MS.
    >It a "batch", You won't get an original Windows installation

    <snip>
    >Why Linux? Little software, serious incompatibilty, poor
    >driver support, - you have to be a serious hater of MS
    >and apple to want to go the open source route?

    Oh another one.

    Forgetting to mention Open Source
    SMTP / HTTP / FTP / SQL / C & C++ / Pascal / Fortran / Network
    monitoring / a heap load of development tools / free stuff when the same
    trool for Win costs.

    It also makes a good file / print server , then there is DNS / LDAP as
    well. I also hear it's good at clustering , firewalling , routing and
    proxy.

    Any OS is generally a good OS, it only depends on what's needed to do a
    job.

    Me
    why?, Jun 17, 2005
  9. cnw

    dwacon Guest

    "cnw" <> wrote in message
    > I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item
    > without
    > Windows pre-installed?
    >
    > Alternatively, is it possible to get a rebate from Microsoft for an OS
    > I'll
    > never use? I intend to run Linux or FreeBSD on this machine.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > We may not return the affection of those who like us,
    > but we always respect their good judgement.

    I know Dell gives you options on OS and such...

    HTH

    --
    For DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES only...
    http://tinyurl.com/aqszm

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0524-5, 06/17/2005
    Tested on: 6/17/2005 6:52:46 PM
    dwacon, Jun 17, 2005
  10. cnw

    Guest

    I have a Linux laptop I bought from LinuxCertified few months ago. I
    think someone else posted a pointer to them. Pretty good. I got with
    Fedora pre-installed, which had all drivers working. Overall I think it
    was good value (without overhead of M$).

    cnw wrote:
    > I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item without
    > Windows pre-installed?
    >
    > Alternatively, is it possible to get a rebate from Microsoft for an OS I'll
    > never use? I intend to run Linux or FreeBSD on this machine.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > We may not return the affection of those who like us,
    > but we always respect their good judgement.
    , Jun 18, 2005
  11. cnw

    GeorgeD Guest

    Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3504708
    GeorgeD, Jun 19, 2005
  12. cnw

    Jeff Estes Guest

    You'd have more luck getting a rebate from Microsoft then you'd have
    convincing Bill Gates that he's your biological father.

    Your best bet is to get your OEM provider to omit installing the Windows OS
    on your new system and they should then in turn discount the system
    appropriately since they didn't have to "eat" a liscnense on your box.
    You're only going to have this option if you order from a builder, most
    Retail Big box stores don't offer custom orders.

    Good Luck.

    --
    scoolio
    Helpdesk Technician

    NOT="munged"

    Jeff Estes, Jun 19, 2005
  13. cnw

    cnw Guest

    begin cnw <> wrote:

    > I'll be buying a laptop shortly. Is it possible to buy such an item without
    > Windows pre-installed?
    >
    > Alternatively, is it possible to get a rebate from Microsoft for an OS I'll
    > never use? I intend to run Linux or FreeBSD on this machine.

    Thanks to everyone who responded. Google turned up some interesting results,
    as suggested by a couple of people (yeah, I know).

    One site in particular - http://tuxmobil.org/ms_tax.html (including links
    from that page) provided interesting reading.

    Cheers.
    --
    "Those who mourn for 'USENET like it was' should remember
    the original design estimates of maximum traffic volume:
    cnw, Jun 19, 2005
  14. cnw

    cnw Guest

    begin unwashed <> wrote:

    > Why Linux? Little software, serious incompatibilty, poor
    > driver support, - you have to be a serious hater of MS
    > and apple to want to go the open source route?

    You are wrong on every count.

    cnw, Jun 19, 2005