Laptops with Pre-installed Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James D Andrews, Mar 16, 2011.

  1. Many laptops come with pre-installed Windows - without installation files -
    and no disk.

    The dilemma:

    What to do when you're given one that Windows is totally hosed (probably
    killed by a virus)?

    The specifics:

    HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 with Windows XP SP3. No other tech info available
    since Windows is totally hosed.

    When it originally crashed, the screen froze and it began emmitting a
    deafening, high pitched unending superfast series of beeps. Keys would not
    respond (thus no CTRL-ALT-DEL). Power ON/OFF wouldn't respond. Audio
    controls wouldn't respond so couldn't turn it down or mute it. Unplugged,
    then battery removed to shut it down.

    On restart, the black Windows didn't start right, pick one of these options
    screen - ALL options return in a loop to that screen again.

    No system disk, no backup disk, no basic boot disk.

    Any suggestions?

    James D Andrews, Mar 16, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Many laptops come with pre-installed Windows - without installation files -
    > and no disk.
    >
    > The dilemma:
    >
    > What to do when you're given one that Windows is totally hosed (probably
    > killed by a virus)?
    >
    > The specifics:
    >
    > HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 with Windows XP SP3. No other tech info available
    > since Windows is totally hosed.
    >
    > When it originally crashed, the screen froze and it began emmitting a
    > deafening, high pitched unending superfast series of beeps. Keys would not
    > respond (thus no CTRL-ALT-DEL). Power ON/OFF wouldn't respond. Audio
    > controls wouldn't respond so couldn't turn it down or mute it. Unplugged,
    > then battery removed to shut it down.
    >
    > On restart, the black Windows didn't start right, pick one of these options
    > screen - ALL options return in a loop to that screen again.
    >
    > No system disk, no backup disk, no basic boot disk.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    "Recover Windows XP Operating System Using HP Recovery (2006 or Later)"
    This implies a recovery partition is present.

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cname=c00608578&printable=yes&product=1132538

    "Recover Windows XP Operating System Using XP Operating System Discs (2001 to 2005)"

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00681978&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1132538

    "Most HP and Compaq notebook PCs manufactured between 2001 and 2005 are shipped
    with an Operating System Disc (OSD) that contains a full version of the Windows XP
    operating system. Depending on the notebook model, the disc may be a CD or a DVD.
    This disc is useful when your notebook PC has software problems that require the
    operating system to be repaired or reinstalled. Follow the steps in this document
    to repair or reinstall Windows XP if necessary."

    If the machine has a license key pasted to the chassis, you can use any old (matching)
    version of Windows, along with the license key, to do a reinstall. For example, if
    the license is for an OEM version, the installer CD should match. It's even possible
    to "cook" a CD, to make it look like an OEM CD.

    See "Burning an XP CD and editing the Pid"
    http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/oem-recover-retail.htm

    If you can find the recovery disc for sale, that shipped with the zv6000, you could
    use that. HP may stop carrying those, once the warranty period has expired. They
    wouldn't continue to stock them after that. But a third party source may have one.
    But if the license key is present on the chassis, that allows installation using
    a CD you provide yourself. The license key, represent the economic value of the
    installed OS, rather than the media itself.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 16, 2011

  3. James D Andrews

    Kele Guest

    Someone I know had what sound like the same issue as you describe with his
    HP... I couldn't get past the bleeping blue/black screen either. Stuck in a
    loop. I tried my own OS disk on his (he didn't have one either), but it
    would not boot to it. He took it to GeekSquad or someplace. It was a "bad
    hard" drive. He got a new hard drive and "they" loaded Windows. Lost his
    stuff of course, but still running.

    ------------

    Kele, Mar 17, 2011
  4. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Many laptops come with pre-installed Windows - without installation
    > files - and no disk.
    >
    > The dilemma:
    >
    > What to do when you're given one that Windows is totally hosed (probably
    > killed by a virus)?
    >
    > The specifics:
    >
    > HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 with Windows XP SP3. No other tech info
    > available since Windows is totally hosed.
    >
    > When it originally crashed, the screen froze and it began emmitting a
    > deafening, high pitched unending superfast series of beeps. Keys would
    > not respond (thus no CTRL-ALT-DEL). Power ON/OFF wouldn't respond. Audio
    > controls wouldn't respond so couldn't turn it down or mute it. Unplugged,
    > then battery removed to shut it down.
    >
    > On restart, the black Windows didn't start right, pick one of these
    > options screen - ALL options return in a loop to that screen again.
    >
    > No system disk, no backup disk, no basic boot disk.

    HP _normally_ puts the installation files on a Restoration Partition. The
    files are deemed to be Hidden Files, so you have to dig around in the Folder
    Options to cause hidden files to be visible, and at Boot Time, you should
    have an option to F10 or F12 to invoke the Restore.

    Sounds like you have a bad HDD. The machine is old, and is probably not
    worth the cost to repair.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 17, 2011
  5. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> The dilemma:
    >>
    >> What to do when you're given one that Windows is totally hosed (probably
    >> killed by a virus)?
    >>
    >> The specifics:
    >>
    >> HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 with Windows XP SP3. No other tech info
    >> available since Windows is totally hosed.
    >>
    >> No system disk, no backup disk, no basic boot disk.
    >>

    > HP _normally_ puts the installation files on a Restoration Partition. The
    > files are deemed to be Hidden Files, so you have to dig around in the
    > Folder Options to cause hidden files to be visible, and at Boot Time, you
    > should have an option to F10 or F12 to invoke the Restore.
    >
    > Sounds like you have a bad HDD. The machine is old, and is probably not
    > worth the cost to repair.

    I'm really hoping it's not a bad HDD. Worth it or not, I'd have to replace
    it, and without a spare copy of Windows, the price goes up and up.

    According to the HP page Paul directed me to, the hidden Restoration
    Partition you referenced is accessed by f11, but I got no response on this
    comp from it. The page said it may or may not have one.

    Thanks for your help

    James D Andrews, Mar 18, 2011
  6. I'm hoping not to replace the hard drive (don't we all). I don't have a
    spare copy of Windows.

    Many thanks for the advice.

    "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > Someone I know had what sound like the same issue as you describe with his
    > HP... I couldn't get past the bleeping blue/black screen either. Stuck in
    > loop. I tried my own OS disk on his (he didn't have one either), but it
    > would not boot to it. He took it to GeekSquad or someplace. It was a
    > "bad
    > hard" drive. He got a new hard drive and "they" loaded Windows. Lost his
    > stuff of course, but still running.
    >

    > ------------
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote:
    > Many laptops come with pre-installed Windows - without installation
    > files -
    > and no disk.> The dilemma:What to do when you're given one that Windows is
    > totally hosed (probably
    > killed by a virus)?

    SNIP SNIP SNIP

    James D Andrews, Mar 18, 2011
  7. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > James D Andrews wrote:
    >> Many laptops come with pre-installed Windows - without installation
    >> files - and no disk.
    >> The dilemma:What to do when you're given one that Windows is totally
    >> hosed (probably killed by a virus)?

    The specifics:>> HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 with Windows XP SP3. No other
    tech info available
    >> since Windows is totally hosed.
    >>

    >SNIP SNIP SNIP
    > No system disk, no backup disk, no basic boot disk.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > "Recover Windows XP Operating System Using HP Recovery (2006 or Later)"
    > This implies a recovery partition is present.
    >
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cname=c00608578&printable=yes&product=1132538
    >
    > "Recover Windows XP Operating System Using XP Operating System Discs (2001
    > to 2005)"
    >
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00681978&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1132538
    >
    > "Most HP and Compaq notebook PCs manufactured between 2001 and 2005 are
    > shipped
    > with an Operating System Disc (OSD) that contains a full version of
    > the Windows XP
    > operating system. Depending on the notebook model, the disc may be a
    > CD or a DVD.
    > This disc is useful when your notebook PC has software problems that
    > require the
    > operating system to be repaired or reinstalled. Follow the steps in
    > this document
    > to repair or reinstall Windows XP if necessary."
    >
    > If the machine has a license key pasted to the chassis, you can use any
    > old (matching)
    > version of Windows, along with the license key, to do a reinstall. For
    > example, if
    > the license is for an OEM version, the installer CD should match. It's
    > even possible
    > to "cook" a CD, to make it look like an OEM CD.
    >
    > See "Burning an XP CD and editing the Pid"
    > http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/oem-recover-retail.htm
    >
    > If you can find the recovery disc for sale, that shipped with the zv6000,
    > you could
    > use that. HP may stop carrying those, once the warranty period has
    > expired. They
    > wouldn't continue to stock them after that. But a third party source may
    > have one.
    > But if the license key is present on the chassis, that allows installation
    > using
    > a CD you provide yourself. The license key, represent the economic value
    > of the
    > installed OS, rather than the media itself.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Paul

    Thanks for the quick reply Paul.
    I didn't know about the HP Recovery, but I've always been frustrated and
    lost searching for anything on the HP site.

    I checked out the links you gave. Great ideas, but as you pointed out, it's
    old, and alas, they no longer carry the Recovery CD for it. I tried the f11
    secret recovery partition and got no response which means either it got
    hosed, too, or it was part of the "may not have" group.

    I'm trying Ultimate Boot CD for Windows loaded with Windows stuff off this
    comp I forgot I had. The UBCD has loaded, but the programs don't seem to be
    doing much so far. I'll keep trying.

    If that doesn't work, I have another of the same model and the boot disks
    are in the mail coming to me, so I'll follow your suggestion about using
    another one.

    If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to eBay/Amazon for a Recovery CD.

    Thanks so much.

    James D Andrews, Mar 18, 2011
  8. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>> The dilemma:
    >>>
    >>> What to do when you're given one that Windows is totally hosed (probably
    >>> killed by a virus)?
    >>>
    >>> The specifics:
    >>>
    >>> HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 with Windows XP SP3. No other tech info
    >>> available since Windows is totally hosed.
    >>>
    >>> No system disk, no backup disk, no basic boot disk.
    >>>

    >> HP _normally_ puts the installation files on a Restoration Partition. The
    >> files are deemed to be Hidden Files, so you have to dig around in the
    >> Folder Options to cause hidden files to be visible, and at Boot Time, you
    >> should have an option to F10 or F12 to invoke the Restore.
    >>
    >> Sounds like you have a bad HDD. The machine is old, and is probably not
    >> worth the cost to repair.
    >>

    > I'm really hoping it's not a bad HDD. Worth it or not, I'd have to
    > replace it, and without a spare copy of Windows, the price goes up and up.
    >
    > According to the HP page Paul directed me to, the hidden Restoration
    > Partition you referenced is accessed by f11, but I got no response on this
    > comp from it. The page said it may or may not have one.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    My daughter has a zv6000, or model number very similar, and the HDD took a
    dive. I had to replace the HDD, but lost the recovery partition. It sounds
    as if you also have lost the recovery partition.

    As I recall, that machine came with a 40-, 60- or 80 gigabyte drive made by
    Toshiba. Your local comptur repair shop might still have XP that you can
    install. The OS will run about $125, and the drive should be fifty-ish
    dollars, and an IDE to USB converter will run less than twenty. For about
    $200, you can have this machine back on the road again.

    THE PROBLEM
    When you install the new HDD and load XP, you will have about 80 updates to
    install -- mostly this is just a time issue -- but then you will have to go
    back into the HP site and get the drivers for your machine, and this can
    prove to be an ugly process because HP may not support it any longer. The
    machine might work fine now, and logic says it should work fine tomorrow,
    but with the upgrades to SP3 and all of the others, there is a strong chance
    that the HP drivers will not install well. Of course, you don't get to find
    this out until after you have spent the money and time. Perhaps you should
    use a second machine to visit HP.com and see what the driver situation is
    for that old machine.

    If you elect to replace it, you can still get an IDE to USB converter and
    probably pull your files off of the bad drive. Typically a drive will loose
    the Boot Sector, which renders it useless for anything more than a
    paperweight. If this happens, you can usually still see the files, and
    capture them. In some cases you can even reformat the drive and keep using
    it.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 18, 2011
  9. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message

    SNIP SNIP SNIP

    > My daughter has a zv6000, or model number very similar, and the HDD took a
    > dive. I had to replace the HDD, but lost the recovery partition. It sounds
    > as if you also have lost the recovery partition.

    Last night's work suggested along those lines. Most things aren't
    recognizing a drive there at all, but a partition program I tried showed the
    drive there but had the MBR set at Sector 63 (is this the right place for
    that? I'm not good at understanding MBRs) and I suspect missing some stuff.
    I'm thinking an MBR virus - mostly just a hunch.

    > As I recall, that machine came with a 40-, 60- or 80 gigabyte drive made
    > by Toshiba. Your local comptur repair shop might still have XP that you
    > can install. The OS will run about $125, and the drive should be fifty-ish
    > dollars, and an IDE to USB converter will run less than twenty. For about
    > $200, you can have this machine back on the road again.

    I've got a Recovery Disk coming so I'll try that as my last attempt along
    those lines. I'm wondering if I can find a used copy of XP (commercial
    version vice OEM) somewhere. I'd have to reactivate it, but sometimes
    that's not a hassle. I MIGHT have a spare HDD if I strip another computer,
    but I'm going to wait until I've tried everything else first.

    > THE PROBLEM
    > When you install the new HDD and load XP, you will have about 80 updates
    > to install -- mostly this is just a time issue -- but then you will have
    > to go back into the HP site and get the drivers for your machine, and this
    > can prove to be an ugly process because HP may not support it any longer.
    > The machine might work fine now, and logic says it should work fine
    > tomorrow, but with the upgrades to SP3 and all of the others, there is a
    > strong chance that the HP drivers will not install well. Of course, you
    > don't get to find this out until after you have spent the money and time.
    > Perhaps you should use a second machine to visit HP.com and see what the
    > driver situation is for that old machine.

    The updates don't bother me. I think all of us here have sat through the
    process of endless updates. Fun Fun Fun. I have another zv6000 - can I
    copy the drivers off that?

    > If you elect to replace it, you can still get an IDE to USB converter and
    > probably pull your files off of the bad drive. Typically a drive will
    > loose the Boot Sector, which renders it useless for anything more than a
    > paperweight. If this happens, you can usually still see the files, and
    > capture them. In some cases you can even reformat the drive and keep using
    > it.

    At least one bright side here. I have an IDE to USB converter. It's one of
    my favorite toys. What I haven't done before and I'm wondering, can I run
    Antivirus on the USB drive from my good computer?

    James D Andrews, Mar 18, 2011
  10. James D Andrews

    den Guest

    > > Perhaps you should use a second machine to visit HP.com and see what the
    > > driver situation is for that old machine.

    > The updates don't bother me.  I think all of us here have sat through the
    > process of endless updates.  Fun Fun Fun.  I have another zv6000 - can I
    > copy the drivers off that?Good that you have a spare! otherwise if you can get on the web register at driversguide.com

    , can I run
    > Antivirus on the USB drive from my good computer? Yep if you can get itto recognize it.

    Good luck.
    Den

    den, Mar 19, 2011
  11. "den" <> wrote in message

    SNIP SNIP

    otherwise if you can get on the web register at driversguide.com

    Den

    Thanks Den. As * luck would have it, my DriversGuide membership just
    expired at a time when a whole bunch of other bills came, so it has to take
    a back burner. Doesn't it just figure!

    I have a few other driver sites I visit so I'll hit them.

    Thanks much.

    Jim

    James D Andrews, Mar 19, 2011
  12. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > At least one bright side here. I have an IDE to USB converter. It's one
    > of my favorite toys. What I haven't done before and I'm wondering, can I
    > run Antivirus on the USB drive from my good computer?

    I'm sure that you can. Pull the drive and plug it into another machine is it
    shows up as Drive <whatever> and you can read it.

    Then start your AV program and scan Drive <whatever>.

    It can't get any worse than it is, and it might get better.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 19, 2011
  13. "den" <> wrote in message

    > > Perhaps you should use a second machine to visit HP.com and see what the
    > > driver situation is for that old machine.

    > The updates don't bother me. I think all of us here have sat through the
    > process of endless updates. Fun Fun Fun. I have another zv6000 - can I
    > copy the drivers off that?Good that you have a spare! otherwise if you can
    > get on the web register at driversguide.com

    , can I run
    > Antivirus on the USB drive from my good computer? Yep if you can get it
    > to recognize it.

    Good luck.
    Den

    Your post is hard to read because your comments are tacked onto the end of
    existing sentences. You should break an existing sentence, enter a blank
    line or two, give your response, and put in another two or three blank
    lines. This strategy allows followers after you see whare your thoughts
    begin and end separately from whatever the topic is.

    FOR EXAMPLE
    Your comments to this discussion were, "Good that you have a spare..." and,
    "Yep, if you can get it to recognize it."

    Both of these comments are useful and correct, but hard for others to find.
    I had to read the entire post to see what you had to contribute, you should
    not make it so difficult.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 19, 2011