Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ian Jenkins, May 5, 2006.

  1. Ian Jenkins

    Ian Jenkins Guest

    Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    brand has better reliability and after sales service.

    thank you
    Ian Jenkins, May 5, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ian Jenkins

    EMB Guest

    Ian Jenkins wrote:
    > Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    > brand has better reliability and after sales service.


    Most of the Toshiba laptops I look after have been very reliable, and
    those that have developed hardware issues have been repaired under
    warranty in a timely and efficient manner.

    My experience with Acer laptops is fairly limited but 2 I have set up
    recently have been somewhat disappointing from a performance point of view.

    My preference is for IBM/Lenovo laptops - they may not be leading edge
    from a features perspective but they are as reliable and indestructible
    as a laptop can be. Their repair service is excellent - about 2 years
    ago I had to return 3 laptops for repair under an IBM recall and the job
    was completed the same day.


    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 5, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ian Jenkins

    Vista Guest

    "Ian Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    news:445a8e36$...
    > Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    > brand has better reliability and after sales service.
    >
    > thank you


    Tosh have the reputation, but do tend to cost more. I have an 2yr old acer ,
    and it has a terrible screen quality when compared to my dell 8600.
    Vista, May 5, 2006
    #3
  4. Ian Jenkins

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:29:55 +1200, Ian Jenkins <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >brand has better reliability and after sales service.


    Where I work we have been buying Toshibas for years, but lately we have found
    the quality to be dropping and have needed some repairs done under warranty.
    Not that many, but in the past they were bullet-proof.

    They are more expensive but it used to be worth it for the reliability, but
    if they're no more reliable then there's no point paying extra.

    We have tried Acer and in our limited sample they are as reliable as Toshiba
    and they have a faster turn-around for repairs. They were cheaper too, so
    they look to be better value.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, May 5, 2006
    #4
  5. Ian Jenkins

    Ian Jenkins Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Ian Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >> brand has better reliability and after sales service.

    >
    >
    > Most of the Toshiba laptops I look after have been very reliable, and
    > those that have developed hardware issues have been repaired under
    > warranty in a timely and efficient manner.
    >
    > My experience with Acer laptops is fairly limited but 2 I have set up
    > recently have been somewhat disappointing from a performance point of view.
    >
    > My preference is for IBM/Lenovo laptops - they may not be leading edge
    > from a features perspective but they are as reliable and indestructible
    > as a laptop can be. Their repair service is excellent - about 2 years
    > ago I had to return 3 laptops for repair under an IBM recall and the job
    > was completed the same day.
    >
    >

    Thank you, every little helps.
    Ian Jenkins, May 5, 2006
    #5
  6. In message <445a8e36$>, Ian Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >brand has better reliability and after sales service.


    FWIW Consumer found that Acer and Toshiba were the two most reliable
    brands, within the margin of error of each other, but users were much
    more likely to want to buy another Toshiba than another Acer. Having
    bought an Acer partly on the basis of the reliability statistic, I
    would have to concur.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, May 5, 2006
    #6
  7. Ian Jenkins

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:39:25 +1200, R.G.'Stumpy' wrote:

    > In message <445a8e36$>, Ian Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >>brand has better reliability and after sales service.

    >
    > FWIW Consumer found that Acer and Toshiba were the two most reliable
    > brands, within the margin of error of each other, but users were much
    > more likely to want to buy another Toshiba than another Acer. Having
    > bought an Acer partly on the basis of the reliability statistic, I
    > would have to concur.


    Apart from that, the other thing that keeps me using my Tosh is the
    quality and ease of use of the keyboard. It's a 2002 model, but that means
    I've got a 2GHz cpu, and very warm legs, of course!

    However, it you want to run linux on it (as I do), then expect to lose
    things like firewire, sd slot...

    I have both - my work one's an Acer, and I much prefer the tosh even with
    it's shortcomings.

    Steve

    Steve
    Steve, May 5, 2006
    #7
  8. Ian Jenkins

    Ian Jenkins Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:39:25 +1200, R.G.'Stumpy' wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In message <445a8e36$>, Ian Jenkins
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >>>brand has better reliability and after sales service.

    >>
    >>FWIW Consumer found that Acer and Toshiba were the two most reliable
    >>brands, within the margin of error of each other, but users were much
    >>more likely to want to buy another Toshiba than another Acer. Having
    >>bought an Acer partly on the basis of the reliability statistic, I
    >>would have to concur.

    >
    >
    > Apart from that, the other thing that keeps me using my Tosh is the
    > quality and ease of use of the keyboard. It's a 2002 model, but that means
    > I've got a 2GHz cpu, and very warm legs, of course!
    >
    > However, it you want to run linux on it (as I do), then expect to lose
    > things like firewire, sd slot...
    >
    > I have both - my work one's an Acer, and I much prefer the tosh even with
    > it's shortcomings.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > Steve
    >

    Steve

    Thank you, looks like Toshiba is coming out on top. Wonder what model
    you have.

    Ian
    Ian Jenkins, May 5, 2006
    #8
  9. Ian Jenkins

    brazen Guest

    "Ian Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    news:445a8e36$...
    > Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    > brand has better reliability and after sales service.
    >

    sony is prettier ;)

    Gay
    brazen, May 6, 2006
    #9
  10. Ian Jenkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "Ian Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > news:445a8e36$...
    >> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >> brand has better reliability and after sales service.
    >>

    > sony is prettier ;)


    If they're anything like their recent consumer goods I'd only take one if
    you gave it to me free. Pretty alright, pretty unreliable and pretty
    useless.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 8, 2006
    #10
  11. Ian Jenkins

    brazen Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:445edbea$...
    > brazen wrote:
    >> "Ian Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >> news:445a8e36$...
    >>> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
    >>> brand has better reliability and after sales service.
    >>>

    >> sony is prettier ;)

    >
    > If they're anything like their recent consumer goods I'd only take one if
    > you gave it to me free. Pretty alright, pretty unreliable and pretty
    > useless.
    > --

    nope mines pretty good.

    Gay
    brazen, May 10, 2006
    #11
  12. Ian Jenkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > news:445edbea$...
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> "Ian Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:445a8e36$...
    >>>> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop.
    >>>> Which brand has better reliability and after sales service.
    >>>>
    >>> sony is prettier ;)

    >>
    >> If they're anything like their recent consumer goods I'd only take
    >> one if you gave it to me free. Pretty alright, pretty unreliable and
    >> pretty useless.
    >> --

    > nope mines pretty good.


    Aye, the laptops may be, I have no experience. I was wondering if they were
    similar to Sony's consumer goods (TVs, Stereos, VCRs, DVD players) which,
    unless you're buying the very top of the range, are total rubbish.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 10, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Joe Colella

    Parts for Toshiba Laptops

    Joe Colella, Jun 6, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    495
    Joe Colella
    Jun 6, 2004
  2. Mark

    Laptops,laptops

    Mark, Sep 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    474
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
    Sep 20, 2004
  3. Joe Colella

    Parts for Toshiba Laptops

    Joe Colella, Jun 6, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    357
    Joe Colella
    Jun 6, 2004
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,161
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Acer 64bit Ferrari Laptops - where to buy

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 31, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    44
    Views:
    858
    Divine
    Jun 8, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page