laptops ... HP vs Samsung? And would you spend 250 extra and get it from Ascent over a boxing day sp

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Dec 28, 2012.

  1. Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307

    or a HP

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038

    very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.

    If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).

    Any thoughts?

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Dec 28, 2012

  2. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Re: laptops ... HP vs Samsung? And would you spend 250 extra andget it from Ascent over a boxing day special?

    On 28/12/2012 2:19 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >
    > or a HP
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >

    > very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    > these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    > travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    > much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.
    >
    > If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    > Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    > Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    > breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >

    > Any thoughts?

    Save the $250, as you'll be sending it off to the same Samsung service
    agent wherever you've bought it from.
    EMB, Dec 28, 2012

  3. On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:19:23 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >
    >or a HP
    >
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >

    >very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    >these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    >travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    >much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.
    >
    >If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    >Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    >Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    >breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >

    >Any thoughts?
    >
    >-P.

    None both Totally Crap, HP has the worst frailer rate in the Would and
    the Oozy Gov are taking HP to court about there bad Warrantees.

    Toshiba or Asus or Sony..
    Frank Williams, Dec 28, 2012
  4. Peter Huebner

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:36:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:19:23 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >>
    >>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >>
    >>or a HP
    >>
    >>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >>

    >>very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    >>these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    >>travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    >>much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.
    >>
    >>If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    >>Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    >>Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    >>breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >>

    >>Any thoughts?
    >>
    >>-P.

    >None both Totally Crap, HP has the worst frailer rate in the Would and
    >the Oozy Gov are taking HP to court about there bad Warrantees.

    Isn't it embarrassing at your age to still not be able to write and
    spell in English? After all, Agent 5x does have spellcheck ...
    although I suppose it wouldn't help you write a coherent English
    sentence any better than you already don't.
    Donchano, Dec 28, 2012
  5. Re: laptops ... HP vs Samsung? over and done

    In article <>,
    s says...

    > Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >
    > or a HP
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >

    > very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    > these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    > travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    > much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.
    >
    > If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    > Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    > Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    > breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >

    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > -P.

    I didn't give this much lead time ... in the end I rang Ascent and got a
    clueless unhelpful chick on the phone who bascially told me that Ascent
    no longer has anyone who knows anything about anything, they're just all
    data entry people and they were on skeleton staff anyway and nobody in
    the building could help.

    I wonder for how much longer she will be answering their phone. Oh, and
    there was no way they would try to meet the current sale prices beyond a
    1.5% rebate.

    So I got the Samsung from Warehouse Stationery, they had the cheapest
    offer plus free delivery, with a 1 year international warranty. Ok. Lets
    see how this plays out ...
    ... the last couple of times I was in a warehouse stationery looking at
    computer bits they had a bunch of eager beaver clued up young computer
    geeks trying to help me, so this may turn out not have been a bad
    choice.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Dec 28, 2012
  6. On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:09:50 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:36:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:19:23 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >>>
    >>>or a HP
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >>>

    >>>very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    >>>these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    >>>travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    >>>much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.
    >>>
    >>>If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    >>>Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    >>>Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    >>>breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >>>

    >>>Any thoughts?
    >>>
    >>>-P.

    >>None both Totally Crap, HP has the worst frailer rate in the Would and
    >>the Oozy Gov are taking HP to court about there bad Warrantees.

    >Isn't it embarrassing at your age to still not be able to write and
    >spell in English? After all, Agent 5x does have spellcheck ...
    >although I suppose it wouldn't help you write a coherent English
    >sentence any better than you already don't.

    Why you just piss a I have heath problems and cant even type or see.

    I use the spell checker but its US one, if I did not I would not even be
    able to read my own posts.
    Frank Williams, Dec 29, 2012
  7. Re: laptops ... HP vs Samsung? over and done

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:25:36 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >>
    >> or a HP
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >>

    >> very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    >> these models, they will do what I want which is internet while
    >> travelling overseas, and running something like photoshop elements, very
    >> much doubt I'd try to run something like skyrim on it.
    >>
    >> If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    >> Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    >> Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    >> breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >>

    >> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> -P.

    >I didn't give this much lead time ... in the end I rang Ascent and got a
    >clueless unhelpful chick on the phone who bascially told me that Ascent
    >no longer has anyone who knows anything about anything, they're just all
    >data entry people and they were on skeleton staff anyway and nobody in
    >the building could help.
    >
    >I wonder for how much longer she will be answering their phone. Oh, and
    >there was no way they would try to meet the current sale prices beyond a
    >1.5% rebate.
    >
    >So I got the Samsung from Warehouse Stationery, they had the cheapest
    >offer plus free delivery, with a 1 year international warranty. Ok. Lets
    >see how this plays out ...
    > ... the last couple of times I was in a warehouse stationery looking at
    >computer bits they had a bunch of eager beaver clued up young computer
    >geeks trying to help me, so this may turn out not have been a bad
    >choice.
    >
    >-P.

    Gee I feel sorry for you, another Lemon for Christmas

    Do some research before you jump in..

    And forget Shops advice or any Seller advice.
    Frank Williams, Dec 29, 2012
  8. On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 21:37:17 +1300, Crash McBash
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:30:23 +1300, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:09:50 +1300, Donchano
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:36:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    >>><> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>Isn't it embarrassing at your age to still not be able to write and
    >>>spell in English? After all, Agent 5x does have spellcheck ...
    >>>although I suppose it wouldn't help you write a coherent English
    >>>sentence any better than you already don't.
    >>>

    >>Why you just piss a I have heath problems and cant even type or see.
    >>

    >>I use the spell checker but its US one, if I did not I would not even be
    >>able to read my own posts.

    >Poor old Roger. Given how you have treated other posters savagely in
    >the past you can hardly expect any sympathy for any disabilities you
    >might have invented as an excuse for such rubbish as you posted here.

    I have only given what I go, I am not just go and lie down with the
    insults that posted against me.

    Plus I don't post rubbish, Rubbish is to that, that don't have the
    brains to understand.

    So I do thing you need to remove your blinkers.
    Frank Williams, Dec 29, 2012
  9. Peter Huebner

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:30:23 +1300, Frank Williams wrote:

    > I use the spell checker but its US one, if I did not I would not even be
    > able to read my own posts.

    Change that US spell dictionary. Use the English (International) one.

    --
    A prosperous New Year to one and all!
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jan 1, 2013
  10. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: laptops ... HP vs Samsung? over and done

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    [snip]
    > I didn't give this much lead time ... in the end I rang Ascent and
    > got a clueless unhelpful chick on the phone who bascially told me
    > that Ascent no longer has anyone who knows anything about anything,
    > they're just all data entry people and they were on skeleton staff
    > anyway and nobody in the building could help.

    Hi Peter. :) I hope that your new laptop turns out well for you.

    Just a note about my experience with Ascent; While it's true that they don't
    have staff who know every detail of all of the many thousands of items that
    they sell they will in fact find out whatever you want to know - when it's
    not the holiday period. (They had a very prominent notice on their site from
    the start of December last saying that they would be running on a skeleton
    crew until a date in early January.)

    For instance I had an extremely technical question regarding an item that
    they advertised and was unable to find the answer via Google so emailed
    them. Within five minutes I got an email back saying they'd find out for me
    and 15 minutes later I had my answer. That wasn't the first time I'd asked
    for more info or clarification of a description and every time they supplied
    the needed info in short order.

    Considering the huge range of items that they 'stock' it would be very
    difficult to have staff knowledgeable about all of them. Ascent, IME do the
    next best thing - they are extremely adept at getting answers out of the
    companies who's products they sell - in good time too.

    I have no interest in Ascent, financial or otherwise. However I am a happy
    repeat customer of theirs. They're not always cheapest but their delivery
    times are excellent, their support is great and on the odd occasion when
    I've needed to return an item it's been very pain-free and simple.

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Jan 1, 2013
  11. Re: laptops ... HP vs Samsung? over and done

    In article <kbu9c4$ikk$>,
    says...

    > I have no interest in Ascent, financial or otherwise. However I am a happy
    > repeat customer of theirs. They're not always cheapest but their delivery
    > times are excellent, their support is great and on the odd occasion when
    > I've needed to return an item it's been very pain-free and simple.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Oh absolutely, Shaun.
    They've been my favourite supplier for well over a decade now.
    I did however have a gripe with the woman answering the phone that day,
    she was not doing Ascent any favours with her attitude.

    I was aware of the skellingtons staffing their office, etc, and my lead
    time was very short. Still, she might've tried to be helpful and/or at
    least polite.

    Not every employee is an asset to the company, never mind where you go.

    Happy '13, by the bye, -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 1, 2013
  12. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: laptops ... HP vs Samsung? over and done

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <kbu9c4$ikk$>,
    > says...
    >

    >> I have no interest in Ascent, financial or otherwise. However I am a
    >> happy repeat customer of theirs. They're not always cheapest but
    >> their delivery times are excellent, their support is great and on
    >> the odd occasion when I've needed to return an item it's been very
    >> pain-free and simple.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Oh absolutely, Shaun.
    > They've been my favourite supplier for well over a decade now.

    Likewise. My motivation in replying was I'd hate to see them suffer due to
    what seems like an aberration. Usually I find that they're *very* helpful.

    > I did however have a gripe with the woman answering the phone that
    > day, she was not doing Ascent any favours with her attitude.
    >
    > I was aware of the skellingtons staffing their office, etc, and my
    > lead time was very short. Still, she might've tried to be helpful
    > and/or at least polite.
    >
    > Not every employee is an asset to the company, never mind where you
    > go.

    For sure. From the sound of it maybe she was a temp - or just pissed that
    she had to work 'holidays'...

    > Happy '13, by the bye, -P.

    The same to you my friend, I hope that it's a great year for you. :)

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2013
  13. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-12-28, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > Thinking about buying a laptop. I am basically eyeing up a Samsung
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410307
    >
    > or a HP
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=410038
    >

    > very similar specs. I want a matte screen, so it's more or less down to
    > these models, they will do what I want which is internet

    Good grief, Internet is a noun.

    This is almaost as bad a s the Fiscal cliff hanging over the US of A
    economy. Do cliffs hang, seem to now.

    Gordon, Jan 4, 2013
  14. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Jan 4, 2013
  15. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-12-28, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > s says...
    >

    > I didn't give this much lead time ...

    Correct.

    > in the end I rang Ascent and got a
    > clueless unhelpful chick on the phone who bascially told me that Ascent
    > no longer has anyone who knows anything about anything, they're just all
    > data entry people and they were on skeleton staff anyway and nobody in
    > the building could help.
    >
    > I wonder for how much longer she will be answering their phone.

    Let us hope it is for a long time, seems to me she told the truth.

    > Oh, and
    > there was no way they would try to meet the current sale prices beyond a
    > 1.5% rebate.

    So what is your problem ? They refused your offer of a bigger cut. Get over
    it.

    > So I got the Samsung from Warehouse Stationery, they had the cheapest
    > offer plus free delivery, with a 1 year international warranty. Ok. Lets
    > see how this plays out ...

    Note to all, 4 January 2014 we all ask about this, yeah right ;-)

    > ... the last couple of times I was in a warehouse stationery looking at
    > computer bits they had a bunch of eager beaver clued up young computer
    > geeks trying to help me, so this may turn out not have been a bad
    > choice.

    Or the best you have ever made.

    Never forget laptops are mass produced, there will be some individual units
    which fail. Rather like humans.
    Gordon, Jan 4, 2013
  16. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-01-01, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> I didn't give this much lead time ... in the end I rang Ascent and
    >> got a clueless unhelpful chick on the phone who bascially told me
    >> that Ascent no longer has anyone who knows anything about anything,
    >> they're just all data entry people and they were on skeleton staff
    >> anyway and nobody in the building could help.

    > Hi Peter. :) I hope that your new laptop turns out well for you.
    >
    > Just a note about my experience with Ascent; While it's true that they don't
    > have staff who know every detail of all of the many thousands of items that
    > they sell they will in fact find out whatever you want to know - when it's
    > not the holiday period. (They had a very prominent notice on their site from
    > the start of December last saying that they would be running on a skeleton
    > crew until a date in early January.)
    >
    > For instance I had an extremely technical question regarding an item that
    > they advertised and was unable to find the answer via Google so emailed
    > them. Within five minutes I got an email back saying they'd find out for me
    > and 15 minutes later I had my answer. That wasn't the first time I'd asked
    > for more info or clarification of a description and every time they supplied
    > the needed info in short order.
    >
    > Considering the huge range of items that they 'stock' it would be very
    > difficult to have staff knowledgeable about all of them. Ascent, IME do the
    > next best thing - they are extremely adept at getting answers out of the
    > companies who's products they sell - in good time too.

    Ther is a saying, I do not know the answer to your question, but I do know
    someone who probably will (know). These people know no details on anything,
    but a great deal on who has the information.

    Ascent will power on into the 2100s, if the keep this up. For they are a
    pure service company, and keeping the customer impressed/satisfied is what
    will keep them gliding over any recession.

    Ironic, for they are stock brokers.

    Gordon, Jan 4, 2013
  17. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-01-01, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <kbu9c4$ikk$>,
    > says...
    >

    >> I have no interest in Ascent, financial or otherwise. However I am a happy
    >> repeat customer of theirs. They're not always cheapest but their delivery
    >> times are excellent, their support is great and on the odd occasion when
    >> I've needed to return an item it's been very pain-free and simple.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Oh absolutely, Shaun.
    > They've been my favourite supplier for well over a decade now.
    > I did however have a gripe with the woman answering the phone that day,
    > she was not doing Ascent any favours with her attitude.
    >
    > I was aware of the skellingtons staffing their office, etc, and my lead
    > time was very short. Still, she might've tried to be helpful and/or at
    > least polite.
    >
    > Not every employee is an asset to the company, never mind where you go.
    >
    > Happy '13, by the bye, -P.

    So have you sent this posting to Ascent? If not, How do you expect them to
    change? or respond?
    Gordon, Jan 4, 2013
  18. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    >Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    >Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    >breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >Any thoughts?

    Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free. :)

    Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
    of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
    Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
    responsibilities.
    Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
    them. :)

    HTH.
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 28, 2013
  19. On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 00:18:28 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >
    >>If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    >>Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    >>Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    >>breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    >>Any thoughts?

    >Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free. :)
    >
    >Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
    >of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
    >Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
    >responsibilities.
    >Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
    >them. :)
    >
    >HTH.

    They are Box sellers like most but you still have the C.G.A.

    But I have not had any bad dealings with them, and a contacted had a 2
    year old HP laptop replaced by them as HP would not do a thing as it was
    known as a recall model with factory faults..
    Frank Williams, Jan 28, 2013
  20. In article <ke4cjt$6rh$>,
    says...

    > In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    > >If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
    > >Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
    > >Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
    > >breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
    > >Any thoughts?

    > Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free. :)
    >
    > Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
    > of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
    > Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
    > responsibilities.
    > Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
    > them. :)
    >
    > HTH.

    As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
    they had the best price of the lot.
    The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
    spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
    for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
    was pleasantly surprised.

    Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
    already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
    them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 28, 2013