    JJ Guest

    I am thinking of buying a laptop. Does anybody have any suggestions to
    which might be the best brand. Thanks in advance.

    JJ, Feb 5, 2005

  2. JJ

    Plato Guest

    JJ wrote:

    > I am thinking of buying a laptop. Does anybody have any suggestions to
    > which might be the best brand. Thanks in advance.

    I believe I'd go for one that had the best warranty service, as a screen
    gone bad, and it happens, is too expensive to fix on your own.

    Plato, Feb 5, 2005

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks for your input Plato, it's greatly appreciated

    JJ, Feb 5, 2005
  4. JJ

    Plato Guest

    JJ wrote:

    > Thanks for your input Plato, it's greatly appreciated

    Good luck. And may the fleas of a thousand camels never infest your
    armpits.

    Plato, Feb 5, 2005
  5. JJ

    effi Guest

    toshiba makes a good notebook

    effi, Feb 5, 2005
  6. JJ

    milo Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop. Does anybody have any suggestions to
    > which might be the best brand. Thanks in advance.

    it really depends on what u want to do with it,
    this is similar to the one i have, if u have already have a pc u can network
    the two together
    thats what i do and i surf the net on it in my room
    http://www.innovations.com.au/cda/product/sku/0,1568,6211-140,00.html
    but like i said it depends on what u want to do, there are so many different
    brands around now, just find the one that does what u want and at a
    resonable price, oh like the others said get the exra warranty too, doesnt
    hurt,

    milo

    milo, Feb 6, 2005
  7. JJ

    Dean Guest

    Yes they do. In fact, Toshiba is a too-well-kept secret. I don't know why
    they aren't bigger than they are, but their marketing department must
    consist of someone's in-laws who needed jobs.

    I've had a TV, many cell phones, and two laptops from Toshiba. All
    top-drawer stuff.

    Deam
    _______________________________________

    Dean, Feb 6, 2005
  8. JJ

    Adam Steiner Guest

    JJ wrote:
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop. Does anybody have any suggestions to
    > which might be the best brand. Thanks in advance.

    I would go with an IBM Thinkpad. While they are on the expensive side,
    you can't match their support or build quality of the machines. I've
    never been on hold for more than 2-3 minutes (this is not an exageration).

    For more info check out http://forum.thinkpads.com - its a forum of IBM
    users who can answer your questions better than I.

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, Feb 6, 2005
  9. Another make worth looking at, in addtion to IBM and Toshiba, is Fujitsu.
    Their Lifebooks are excellent. If you are looking for something at a bargian
    price, Acer make a good product and they have a budget line that is very
    good value.
    Larry

    Larry Hoffman, Feb 6, 2005
  10. JJ

    C.J.Patten Guest

    What your priorities are for a laptop computer will affect your choice.

    Battery life?
    Screen size?
    Horsepower?
    Features?

    I needed a "desktop replacement." I looked at ALL the manufacturers. Dell
    has since added 17" models to their lineup but at the time, they didn't have
    any at a reasonable price though I would have liked a Dell.

    I eventually settled on a discounted HP zd7260. 17" widescreen, P4HT 3.2GHz,
    DVD burner etc. I only get 1 or 2 hours of battery life but that was a
    sacrifice I made for raw power - I do video editing with it. (I've also
    since upped the memory to 1GB and added a faster drive)

    A BIG factor for me was screen. I NEEDED a minimum 1280x1024 resolution.
    Many of the screens out there were 1440x960 - just shy on the vertical.
    I only found a Gateway with a 15.4" widescreen and the HP with the 1680x1050
    resolution.

    So, what do you want to DO with your laptop?

    There are so many on the market now, your best bet is to narrow BY
    EXCLUSION. Make a "must have" list of features and go shopping with it.

    Email me if you want any more advice.

    Chris (delete the obvious from my email address to get through)

    C.J.Patten, Feb 6, 2005