    battery recharged and unplugged!?
    Why?
    Thanks.
    John Smith, Jul 21, 2010

  2. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    > battery recharged and unplugged!?

    -1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
    having it serviced by a capable repair person?

    -2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
    the LT or did it come from somewhere else?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 21, 2010

  3. John Smith

    Jordon Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    > battery recharged and unplugged!?

    It recharges the battery but it won't turn on when it's recharging?

    Like Mike said... is the charger the one that came with the laptop?

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Jul 21, 2010
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message news:...

    John Smith wrote:
    > Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    > battery recharged and unplugged!?

    -1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
    having it serviced by a capable repair person?

    -2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
    the LT or did it come from somewhere else?
    ---------------------------------
    My question is any ideas what could cause this. It used to function ok when
    plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
    Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124
    John Smith, Jul 21, 2010
  5. John Smith

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:48:19 +0100, "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" wrote in message news:...
    >
    >John Smith wrote:
    >> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    >> battery recharged and unplugged!?

    >-1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
    >having it serviced by a capable repair person?
    >
    >-2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
    >the LT or did it come from somewhere else?
    >---------------------------------
    >My question is any ideas what could cause this. It used to function ok when
    >plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
    >Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

    Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?
    joevan, Jul 21, 2010
  6. John Smith

    joevan, Jul 21, 2010
  7. John Smith

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:02:36 -0400, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?

    There seems to be an echo here.
    joevan, Jul 21, 2010
  8. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    You need to turn on your WLM 'quote marks'. I don't have WLM, but if
    the configuration is the same place as Win Mail, it is in Tools/
    Options/ Send/ News sending format/ Plain text settings button/ right
    under 'Automatically wrap text at xx' is a place to check Indent the
    original text with >.

    If you don't do that, I have to 'reconstruct' both of our remarks so
    that we can tell what you said from what I said.

    > "Mike Easter"
    >> John Smith wrote:

    >>> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok
    >>> after battery recharged and unplugged!?

    >> -1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
    >> having it serviced by a capable repair person?

    > My question is any ideas what could cause this.

    I understand your question, but if you aren't in a position to (really)
    troubleshoot, then your options are very limited. It might be caused by
    the mobo charging circuit. It might be caused by the ACPI system.

    >> -2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
    >> the LT or did it come from somewhere else?

    > It used to function ok
    > when plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
    > Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

    Here is a flow chart which you can follow

    http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/battery.htm

    Altho' the title of the chart is about battery not charging or short
    battery life, it is actually useful for more than that.

    You can see additional info by clicking on one of the boxes when you get
    to an appropriate one. In your case you would start with - needs AC
    adapter to boot No - life of battery too short No - AC adapter noisy No
    - which takes you to the box which says - OS battery management active -
    which we don't know the answer. Click on that box. It will teach you
    something about ACPI.

    This sentence pertains to your LT "All new laptops ship with ACPI
    (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) which is a marriage between
    BIOS routines that monitor board level charging and device activity, and
    the operating system."

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 21, 2010
  9. John Smith

    ian field Guest

    "Jordon" <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > John Smith wrote:
    >> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    >> battery recharged and unplugged!?

    > It recharges the battery but it won't turn on when it's recharging?
    >
    > Like Mike said... is the charger the one that came with the laptop?

    At first glance this might seem like an irrelevant comparison, but my
    rechargeable shaver has the option of 2 different chargers, one pushes in a
    3rd pin on the power connector and allows use while charging, the other
    option doesn't push in the pin and the shaver cuts out when the charger is
    plugged in.

    Check the charger power receptacle on the LT (shine a torch in to make sure)
    to see if anything is there to detect the insertion of a power plug and
    whether it bent, worn or jammed.
    ian field, Jul 21, 2010
  10. John Smith

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:02:36 -0400, joevan <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?

    > There seems to be an echo here.

    High winds media again. Can't say I didn't tell you before.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 21, 2010
  11. John Smith

    Mike Yetto Guest

    John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    > battery recharged and unplugged!?
    > Why?

    If the recharger is dying it may not provide enough current to
    charge the battery and run the laptop. Order a new recharger and
    take the battery out when running with the laptop plugged in.

    If the battery is fully charged you might be able to leave it in
    while running off AC (if the battery is taken out of the loop).

    Mike "as always YMMV" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Jul 22, 2010
  12. John Smith

    Anyone Guest

    John Smith wrote on 21-Jul-10 13:48 ...

    [...]
    > My question is any ideas what could cause this. It used to function ok
    > when plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
    > Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

    That description suggests a failed AC adaptor, or failed connector on
    the PC. The connector gets a lot of mechanical abuse and it's at least
    possible you have fractured an internal solder joint.
    Anyone, Jul 22, 2010
  13. John Smith

    Tony Guest

    Chuck you weiner, obviously the bridge rectifier went in the adapter.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 22, 2010
  14. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    > My question is any ideas what could cause this.

    >I understand your question, but if you aren't in a position to (really)
    >troubleshoot,

    That's right - if I was I wouldn't need to seek advice!

    > then your options are very limited. It might be caused by the mobo
    > charging circuit. It might be caused by the ACPI system.

    >> -2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match>
    >> It used to function ok

    > when plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
    > Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

    >Here is a flow chart which you can follow

    >http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/battery.htm

    No - it starts by showing;-
    <<This draft troubleshooting procedure is intended for people who know what
    they are doing around electricity.>>
    so that ruled me out straight away!

    Replacement AC adapter now resolved the problem.
    John Smith, Jul 22, 2010
  15. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Mike Yetto" wrote in message

    John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    > battery recharged and unplugged!?
    > Why?

    If the recharger is dying it may not provide enough current to
    charge the battery and run the laptop. Order a new recharger and
    take the battery out when running with the laptop plugged in.

    If the battery is fully charged you might be able to leave it in
    while running off AC (if the battery is taken out of the loop).
    --------------------------------------

    Thanks for all the advice.
    Replacement AC adapter now resolved the problem. :)
    John Smith, Jul 22, 2010
  16. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > Replacement AC adapter now resolved the problem.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 22, 2010
  17. John Smith

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 22/07/2010 16:47, John Smith wrote:

    > "Mike Yetto" wrote in message
    >
    > John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
    >> battery recharged and unplugged!?
    >> Why?
    >>

    > If the recharger is dying it may not provide enough current to
    > charge the battery and run the laptop. Order a new recharger and
    > take the battery out when running with the laptop plugged in.
    >
    > If the battery is fully charged you might be able to leave it in
    > while running off AC (if the battery is taken out of the loop).
    >
    > Thanks for all the advice.
    > Replacement AC adapter now resolved the problem. :)

    Cool. All we need to do now is fix the broken quoting in your news
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 22, 2010