    restarted when I booted it back up. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.

    Smokey

    Smokey, May 21, 2007

  2. Smokey

    Paul Guest

    Smokey wrote:
    > My Windows 98 laptop has developed a strange problem. It will not keep time
    > while it is shut down. If I set the correct time now and then shut it down,
    > it will display the time as if the clock stopped when I shut it down and was
    > restarted when I booted it back up. Anyone have any ideas?
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Smokey

    Computers have a circuit very much like a digital watch. It is called
    the RTC or real time clock. It runs at 32.768 KHz, just like a digital
    watch does. It uses a CMOS battery, a CR2032 is typically the battery
    type. (Now would be a good time to crack open the manual you got
    with the computer, and see if there is any mention of the CMOS
    battery.)

    The battery is 0.75" in diameter, and flat. When new, it should have
    a voltage of 3.0 volts or so. When run down, the clock and CMOS
    RAM will start to malfunction, somewhere between 2.4V and 2.0V or so.
    (Maybe a laptop uses a different kind of battery - since everything
    is so small in a laptop, they might have something even smaller than
    that as a power source.)

    The fun part, will be figuring out where they hide it on your computer.
    If they were smart, it will be visible from some compartment on
    the computer. If not, you could have a major disassembly project on
    your hands.

    If you have a digital camera, you can enter the BIOS on the
    computer, and view the BIOS setup screens one at a time. Take
    a picture of each screenful of settings. That way, once you
    replace the battery, you'll have some record of what
    the settings were. On my last computer where I changed the
    battery, I couldn't remember what the boot settings were
    supposed to be.

    Some people manage to change the battery fast enough, that
    they get to keep the settings, and don't lose them. I cannot
    say how many seconds you get, before any residual charge
    would be drained. And you don't want to rush the job and
    damage something.

    Paul

    Paul, May 22, 2007

  3. Smokey

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Smokey wrote:
    >> My Windows 98 laptop has developed a strange problem. It will not
    >> keep time
    >> while it is shut down. If I set the correct time now and then shut it
    >> down,
    >> it will display the time as if the clock stopped when I shut it down
    >> and was
    >> restarted when I booted it back up. Anyone have any ideas?
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Smokey
    >>

    > Computers have a circuit very much like a digital watch. It is called
    > the RTC or real time clock. It uses a CMOS battery, a CR2032 is
    > typically the battery
    > type. <snipped>
    >
    > Paul

    If that battery dies, it would prompt you to set date/time each time you
    turn the PC on, wouldn't it ? It would forget the time each time ( At
    least that's what has happened to me)

    Smokey,
    Does it ask the time ? Is the PC plugged into AC outlet ? or just on
    battery when shutdown ? At the shutdown prompt, do you " Shutdown" or
    "Standby" or "Hibernate" (does it power OFF or just go into standby ? )

    - Bobb -, May 22, 2007
  4. Smokey

    JANA Guest

    Check the battery on the mother board! Better still, if the battery is more
    than a number of years old, change it.

    --

    JANA
    _____