    unsecured network or use a WEP key.If I use a LAN cable everything
    works fine, also, I have no problems connecting to WIFI networks
    outside the house. I'd really appreciate your help. thanks

    chavrik, Nov 14, 2007

  2. chavrik

    Barb Bowman Guest

    do you have the latest firmware for the Netgear router? WEP is not
    safe. It can be broken is less time than it takes to read this
    message thread. You REALLY should consider replacing this router
    with at least an 802.11g model that supports WPA2. There are several
    on the market that have been listed as compatible with Vista on the
    MS website that you can find for $40 or less.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 14, 2007

  3. Hi
    Assuming that your are connected correctly.
    Do you see your Router's SSID as a viable selection in the Laptop; Wireless
    utility?
    If you do and it does not work when security is Off, you might need a new
    Router.
    Otherwise check carefully all the settings.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 14, 2007
  4. chavrik

    smlunatick Guest

    On Nov 14, 11:24 am, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Assuming that your are connected correctly.
    > Do you see your Router's SSID as a viable selection in the Laptop; Wireless
    > utility?
    > If you do and it does not work when security is Off, you might need a new
    > Router.
    > Otherwise check carefully all the settings.
    > My Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "chavrik" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a Netgear mr814v2 802.11b wireless router hooked up to my main
    > > computer running Vista. My laptop has a Broadcom 802.11b/g card. When
    > > I click to connect to my home network I get a message.. "Waiting for
    > > network" for about 30 seconds and then it disappears but doesn't
    > > connect. I get the same result whether I set up the router as an
    > > unsecured network or use a WEP key.If I use a LAN cable everything
    > > works fine, also, I have no problems connecting to WIFI networks
    > > outside the house. I'd really appreciate your help. thanks- Hide quoted text -

    First thing to do, usually, is to check / update the drivers for the
    Broadcom. Make sure that you are using the latest ones and that it is
    not set to connect at 802.11g signals only.

    Other than what has been metioned before, 802.11B wireless seems to
    becoming an "old" network signal. Most routers are now 802.11g or
    802.11n based, which still offer 802.11b compatibility. You might
    want to consdier replacing this old router.

    smlunatick, Nov 14, 2007