    laptop even though file sharing is enabled. I have tried disabling all of my
    security software on the laptop, but that has done nothing. What will make
    the laptop files accessible to the desktop?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlYWt5Tw==?=, Jun 20, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "freakyO" <> wrote:
    >I have a wireless laptop and a desktop. The desktop is connected to a
    >wireless router. They are in the same workgroup and the laptop can easily
    >access the files on the desktop, but the desktop cannot get files from the
    >laptop even though file sharing is enabled. I have tried disabling all of my
    >security software on the laptop, but that has done nothing. What will make
    >the laptop files accessible to the desktop?

    The most likely problem is that a firewall on the laptop is blocking
    access from the desktop. It could be XP's built-in firewall, or it
    could be a firewall program like Norton, McAfee, PC-cillin, ZoneAlarm,
    etc.

    Can the desktop ping the laptop's IP address? Can the desktop ping
    the laptop's computer name? If both of those fail, the problem is
    almost certainly caused by a firewall.

    Sometimes, disabling security software isn't enough. You have to
    un-install the software to get network access to work. If it works
    with the security software un-installed, check the program's
    documentation to see how to configure it to allow network access.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jun 20, 2005