    It seems that neither the HDD nor the DVD drive is being read at any
    stage on boot-up.

    Can anyone help please?
    Livewire, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Livewire

    Kenny Guest

    Maybe something here will help.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Livewire

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:12:26 +0100, Livewire Has Frothed:

    > My son smashed his laptop screen (with the corner of a dropped die-cast
    > model metal Land Rover since you ask).
    >
    > He used the laptop via a monitor while we tracked down a repairer. Then we
    > removed the screen to send it to them, as requested.
    >
    > We weren't sure whether the laptop would work with the monitor while its
    > screen was missing but when he tried it wouldn't boot and said there was a
    > hal.dl file missing.
    >
    > We left it, thinking it was because the screen was absent. But when we
    > fitted the new screen, the screen works but the machine still shows the
    > same error.
    >
    > It seems that neither the HDD nor the DVD drive is being read at any stage
    > on boot-up.
    >
    > Can anyone help please?

    Would venture to say that the mainboard needs replaced if you've lost
    control of your IDE devices.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Livewire

    Guest

    Livewire <> wrote:

    >My son smashed his laptop screen (with the corner of a dropped die-cast
    >model metal Land Rover since you ask).
    >
    >He used the laptop via a monitor while we tracked down a repairer. Then
    >we removed the screen to send it to them, as requested.
    >
    >We weren't sure whether the laptop would work with the monitor while its
    >screen was missing but when he tried it wouldn't boot and said there was
    >a hal.dl file missing.
    >
    >We left it, thinking it was because the screen was absent. But when we
    >fitted the new screen, the screen works but the machine still shows the
    >same error.
    >
    >It seems that neither the HDD nor the DVD drive is being read at any
    >stage on boot-up.
    >
    >Can anyone help please?

    A Hal error is most often caused by a corrupt or missing Boot.ini

    Your disk is being read cause it knows about the HAL. NTLDR loads the
    boot.ini to find the HAL.DLL

    Enter the repair console http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/ and
    run FIXBOOT

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321