    As windows wouldn't respond, i had to use the reset button. On the next
    boot, scandisk ran but windows froze just after the desktop appeared. After
    resetting once again i cannot get windows to boot. PLEASE HELP!

    Paul Stokes, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Paul Stokes

    ilmc Guest

    Paul Stokes typed:
    > Got new laptop yesterday. Everything was fine on the first day no
    > problems at all. Today after i connected the phone cable to my modem
    > i got an error message along the lines of "Windows protection error.
    > Please restart your computer."
    >
    > As windows wouldn't respond, i had to use the reset button. On the
    > next boot, scandisk ran but windows froze just after the desktop
    > appeared. After resetting once again i cannot get windows to boot.
    > PLEASE HELP!

    Take it back to your supplier :-(
    You are posting from the UK - if it don't work, the supplier fixes or
    replaces

    ilmc, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Paul Stokes

    ilmc Guest

    acanofcant typed:
    > More info needed also, OS, ram, harddrive, graphics etc........

    This is true, but the I know this already.. If you want to reply to the
    orginal poster, click on their message - not mine.

    ilmc, Aug 24, 2003
  4. TAKE IT BACK !!!!!!!!!!!

    david.electrix, Aug 24, 2003
  5. Paul Stokes

    acanofcant Guest

    Sry for that, looked at his name but must have accidentally clicked on
    yours.

    acanofcant, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    Left the computer overnight and tried to boot again this morning. Switched
    it on and everything ran as normal. Scandisk started and finished then
    windows seemed to load perfectly. After a few minutes however the laptop
    froze and i had to turn the power off from the switch (made sure hard disk
    wasn't active).

    Has anyone any ideas what's causing this and more importantly how to fix it.

    Laptop is running Windows ME. Is an HP pavilion, 850 MHz processor, 20gb
    hard disk, 128mb RAM(i think).

    I can't take the laptop back to the supplier, it was bought from ebay. Have
    i been sold a dud? If so then how come it worked perfectly for the first
    day or so?

    Haven't installed any additional software. Basically as soon as i connected
    the phone cable the system crashed and i haven't been able to use it
    properly since.

    I have disconnected the phone lead.

    Paul Stokes, Aug 25, 2003
  7. Paul Stokes

    Billh Guest

    Could be over heating have bad memory or hard drive could just need a good
    fresh install of the OS and software.

    I am going to buy a laptop soon and have looked at new and used but what
    floors me is how good of deal would it have to be to make it worth it to
    gamble on a used one from EBay? At a local shop I can pick them up with a
    30 day return. But Dell will ship one to my house for 749.00 US that is
    more than double the speed with a better OS and a one year service plan. So
    maybe if I paid under 250.00 US on Ebay.

    > Left the computer overnight and tried to boot again this morning.

    Switched
    > it on and everything ran as normal. Scandisk started and finished then
    > windows seemed to load perfectly. After a few minutes however the laptop
    > froze and i had to turn the power off from the switch (made sure hard disk
    > wasn't active).
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas what's causing this and more importantly how to fix

    it.

    > Laptop is running Windows ME. Is an HP pavilion, 850 MHz processor, 20gb
    > hard disk, 128mb RAM(i think).
    >
    > I can't take the laptop back to the supplier, it was bought from ebay.

    Have
    > i been sold a dud? If so then how come it worked perfectly for the first
    > day or so?
    >
    > Haven't installed any additional software. Basically as soon as i

    connected
    > the phone cable the system crashed and i haven't been able to use it
    > properly since.
    >
    > I have disconnected the phone lead.
    >
    > "Paul Stokes" <> wrote in

    message

    Billh, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Paul Stokes

    Guest

    "Paul Stokes" <> wrote in message news:<2F82b.283$>...
    > Got new laptop yesterday. Everything was fine on the first day no problems
    > at all. Today after i connected the phone cable to my modem i got an error
    > message along the lines of "Windows protection error. Please restart your
    > computer."
    >
    > As windows wouldn't respond, i had to use the reset button. On the next
    > boot, scandisk ran but windows froze just after the desktop appeared. After
    > resetting once again i cannot get windows to boot. PLEASE HELP!

    Well...

    Could be a virus even.

    I'd say, reinstall OS, install antivirus app, try running some basic
    windows tools (wordpad, calc, etc) and see what happens. If it's
    stable download the setiathome client
    (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/windows.html) install it and set
    it to run all the time. Leave the machine doing that for 4-6 hours. If
    it's still running and you can do basic windows operation I'd say the
    hardware and cooling is sound.

    Jeroen

    , Aug 26, 2003