    reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing :-(

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Ray Greene

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    news:d3vDf.83996$...
    > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
    >
    > I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
    > them.
    > Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
    > alternatives.
    >
    > It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
    > unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
    > work
    > reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing :-(
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene

    I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
    but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
    strange. Purchased from Noel Lemmings

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Ray Greene

    Tony Guest

    Dell certainly does on the larger models.

    Tony, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Ray Greene

    Ewen McNeill Guest

    In article <d3vDf.83996$>, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?

    My HP NC6220 (bought about two months ago) came with a serial port built
    onto it; my previous laptop (Acer Travelmate 361Evi) had a little adapter
    supplied with it which provided a serial port (and parallel port) via the
    port replicator socket -- it wouldn't surprise me if other laptops adopted
    that approach.

    I suspect you'll find that _some_ models of laptops most vendors will come
    with hardware serial ports, especially amongst the desktop alternative
    and desktop replacement sorts of models. But it may take a bit of looking
    to find the right models.

    Floppy drives, OTOH, seem to be long gone on laptops. USB floppies solve
    some, but not all, of the backwards compatiblity issues (eg, it's not always
    possible to format floppies on a USB floppy drive).

    Ewen
    Ewen McNeill, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Ray Greene

    Rob J Guest

    In article <CrvDf.84005$>,
    says...

    > "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
    > >
    > > I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
    > > them.
    > > Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
    > > alternatives.
    > >
    > > It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
    > > unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
    > > work
    > > reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing :-(
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ray Greene

    > I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
    > but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
    > strange.

    Not at all strange, most laptops still have a parallel port as do
    practically all desktops.

    There are still massive numbers of printers that use parallel and you
    can still buy them new, but there is not that much demand for serial
    ports these days.
    Rob J, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Ray Greene

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <CrvDf.84005$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >> > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
    >> >
    >> > I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
    >> > them.
    >> > Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
    >> > alternatives.
    >> >
    >> > It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
    >> > unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
    >> > work
    >> > reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing :-(
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ray Greene

    >> I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
    >> but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
    >> strange.

    > Not at all strange, most laptops still have a parallel port as do
    > practically all desktops.
    >
    > There are still massive numbers of printers that use parallel and you
    > can still buy them new, but there is not that much demand for serial
    > ports these days.

    Well most of all the printers on show at noel lemming were USB and not
    parallel, i assumed since usb is faster than parallel then its just a show
    of the times.

    But thanks anyway

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 30, 2006
  7. Ray Greene

    Rob J Guest

    In article <PXvDf.84010$>,
    says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <CrvDf.84005$>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message

    > >> I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
    > >> but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
    > >> strange.

    > > Not at all strange, most laptops still have a parallel port as do
    > > practically all desktops.
    > >
    > > There are still massive numbers of printers that use parallel and you
    > > can still buy them new, but there is not that much demand for serial
    > > ports these days.

    > Well most of all the printers on show at noel lemming were USB and not
    > parallel, i assumed since usb is faster than parallel then its just a show
    > of the times.

    Most modern printers have USB ports, some still have parallel and USB.
    The main advantage of putting a USB port onto a printer is that Macs
    have never used a parallel port and work directly with USB.

    But there are still loads of printers around that only have a parallel
    port, but very few serial printers, or in fact any serial devices these
    days.
    Rob J, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Ray Greene

    Tony Guest

    > But there are still loads of printers around that only have a parallel
    > port, but very few serial printers, or in fact any serial devices these
    > days.

    All mid-high end Network equipment uses the serial port for initial and
    emergency configuration.
    Tony, Jan 30, 2006
  9. Went through the same thing last year, needed them to program fire alarm
    panels.
    We finally got hold of some Compaq NX6120 models. Good little machine for
    the
    price!

    Otis.

    Otis E Levator, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Ray Greene wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
    >
    > I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes them.
    > Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
    > alternatives.
    >
    > It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
    > unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't work
    > reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing :-(

    There are USB serial adapters and There are Good USB serial adapters. Our
    serial interface digital timing equipment for races was unbelievably fussy
    about serial ports but work well with the adapters I purchased, in fact often
    worked with them and not the serial port on the notebook.

    Cant remebre the brand of them at the moment but they came from a cable place
    up at Albany I will see If I still have any left and get the brand for you.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Jan 31, 2006
  11. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:05:09 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
    >>
    >> I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes them.
    >> Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
    >> alternatives.
    >>
    >> It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
    >> unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't work
    >> reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing :-(
    >>

    >There are USB serial adapters and There are Good USB serial adapters. Our
    >serial interface digital timing equipment for races was unbelievably fussy
    >about serial ports but work well with the adapters I purchased, in fact often
    >worked with them and not the serial port on the notebook.
    >
    >Cant remebre the brand of them at the moment but they came from a cable place
    >up at Albany I will see If I still have any left and get the brand for you.

    Thanks Collector, I'd be grateful for that. We need the serial port for
    programming PLCs. If we could find an adapter that worked it would make life
    a lot easier.

    Thanks to everyone for all the other replies too, there are more options out
    there than I realised.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 31, 2006
  12. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Ray Greene exclaimed:
    > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?

    Dell Lattitude D610

    Just got one ... seems like a marked improvement on the previous
    version.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 31, 2006
  13. Ray Greene

    Sparky Guest

    What serial port/USB adapter are you using, or trying to use Ray. I have
    had mixed success with them. I wanted one so I could connect a PIC
    programmer to my laptop. It is a Toshiba but without a coms port. I
    found that the BELKIN adapter worked perfectly for me. Worked in fact
    when many others did not.
    If you have difficulty sourcing one let me know I have a couple here and
    you are welcome to try one
    Regards
    Adrian

    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006
  14. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:35:08 +1300, Sparky <> wrote:

    >What serial port/USB adapter are you using, or trying to use Ray. I have
    >had mixed success with them. I wanted one so I could connect a PIC
    >programmer to my laptop. It is a Toshiba but without a coms port. I
    >found that the BELKIN adapter worked perfectly for me. Worked in fact
    >when many others did not.
    >If you have difficulty sourcing one let me know I have a couple here and
    >you are welcome to try one

    Thanks for the offer Adrian. I'm not sure what type of adapter it was, one of
    our engineers was trying it. I'll ask him next week.

    Is this the one you have?
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=109221

    --
    Ray Greene