    Tried also setting up the wireless network manually.

    Any suggestions? Would the modem be a lucent one or Orinoco?
    thanks
    Bruce, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Bruce

    Malke Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > Have a laptop with a wireless card.
    > It doesn't seem to pick up any wireless networks we have tried.
    > The pc card has Orinoco on the main part 11mbits/s Gold on one side
    > and says lucent tech on the other PC24E-H-FC.
    > CE122
    > The modem/router seems to be working alright ( we have tried the
    > laptop in a few differnt places that have wireless.
    > It shows nothing. The networks are set to be visable. The laptop shows
    > the card. Not sure where to get the paper work for the modem.
    > Would there be a setup for the card on the laptop?
    > Tried also setting up the wireless network manually.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Would the modem be a lucent one or Orinoco?
    > thanks

    A Lucent modem is for dial-up and has nothing to do with wireless. The
    wireless chip would be the Orinoco. I've never seen a combination
    wireless/modem pc card, but that doesn't mean you don't have one. ;-) I
    don't understand your statement "the modem/router seems to be working
    alright". Are you referring to a cable/dsl combination modem/router for
    your broadband? How do you know it works? Do you have other computers
    connected with ethernet (wired)?

    Did you install the drivers for the wireless pc card? Did it ever work?
    If so, what changed? If you installed the drivers for the card and it
    still doesn't work, I would try a different wireless pc card. The one
    you have may be broken.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    The Westell works, my nephews computer had worked fine when his was running
    on it.
    I found the modem
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lucent/6001955/6001955tc.shtml
    Not sure if it worked before I am assuming it did, bought it 2nd hand.
    The wireless network will show itself in the task bar, when you click the
    network icon, it shows no visable connections,
    even if you put the modem a few feet away from the Westell 327W I don't have
    another laptop here at this time to try it in another one.

    Is there a setting in network connections, that make WI-FI connections
    visable or is it automatic?

    Thanks
    Bruce

    Bruce, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Bruce

    Malke Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > The Westell works, my nephews computer had worked fine when his was
    > running on it.
    > I found the modem

    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lucent/6001955/6001955tc.shtml
    > Not sure if it worked before I am assuming it did, bought it 2nd hand.
    > The wireless network will show itself in the task bar, when you click
    > the
    > network icon, it shows no visable connections,
    > even if you put the modem a few feet away from the Westell 327W I
    > don't have another laptop here at this time to try it in another one.
    >
    > Is there a setting in network connections, that make WI-FI connections
    > visable or is it automatic?

    OK, now I see what you are talking about. This is not a "modem"; it is a
    wireless network adapter. Since you bought it second-hand, test it in
    another laptop. If it doesn't work there, you know it is broken. Go buy
    a wireless network adapter new from the store.

    Malke
    Malke, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Bruce

    Ed. Guest

    Does the green light come on? If not, do you have a switch on the laptop to
    turn the wireless on and off? If so, make sure it is turned on.

    Ed., Sep 21, 2005
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    the led's seem to work.
    Don't see any switch that would turn the wireless on and off

    Bruce, Sep 21, 2005
  7. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > the led's seem to work.
    > Don't see any switch that would turn the wireless on and off

    Open "Network Connections" from the Control Panel. Check the icon for
    wireless if it is there. Check it is not disabled. If the icon doesn't exist
    there, you have some strange problem.

    Also open the tcp/ip properties for the wireless card and make sure they
    aren't set wrong somehow.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 21, 2005
  8. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    The card isn't showing up under device manager.
    According to the site only drivers are for ME, 2000, 98.
    Though it says, that windows xp should find it, can't seem to find it in the
    list on a manual search?

    Bruce, Sep 23, 2005
  9. Bruce

    balo Guest

    Goto Control Panel , Administrative Tools, Services , and look for the
    service 'Wireless Zero Configuration' Click on it and check that Startup
    Type is set to Automatic , and then Start the service .

    This will work if your wireless card have been installed correct.

    balo

    balo, Sep 23, 2005
  10. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Is there a way to know if the wireless network pc card is compatable with
    Wireless zero configuration?
    a.. IEEE 802.11 Standard for Wireless LANs (DSSS)
    a.. Wi-Fi certified by WECA
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lucent/6001787/6001787nv.shtml

    Bruce, Sep 24, 2005