    The trouble is.....everytime I boot the laptop the connection has to be
    reconfigured again. What gives? How do you make the connection "stick" ?

    , Feb 21, 2005

  2. Danny Kile Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a desktop and a laptop. They are both hooked up through a
    > Linksys router, to get a DSL connection. I have talked to customer
    > service to get help configuring the wireless connection to the laptop.
    > The trouble is.....everytime I boot the laptop the connection has to be
    > reconfigured again. What gives? How do you make the connection "stick" ?

    You did not say who made the laptop or the network card. I would check
    the vendor WEB site for the latest drivers and software for the network
    card.

    --
    Danny Kile
    Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
    Your cooperation is appreciated.

    Danny Kile, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Guest

    The router is a Linksys Wireless G. The wireless card came with the
    router. I have checked the website. I have talked to customer service.
    They keep getting me to reset the settings. The laptop is a DELL. It is
    brand new. A couple of times the connection held for about a week. I
    jusy booted and it had to be reconfigured. To configure it I ran the CD
    that came with the unit and it made the settings for me. I just don't
    know..

    , Feb 21, 2005
  4. AG Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The router is a Linksys Wireless G. The wireless card came with the
    > router. I have checked the website. I have talked to customer service.
    > They keep getting me to reset the settings. The laptop is a DELL. It is
    > brand new. A couple of times the connection held for about a week. I
    > jusy booted and it had to be reconfigured. To configure it I ran the CD
    > that came with the unit and it made the settings for me. I just don't
    > know..

    Are you running any other network stuff? It really depends on the software.
    I'll admit that I don't have any experience with that equipment but you
    might want to run the Microsoft network detection tool after you get it
    connected, just for the heck of it, and then see if it will stick.
    I'm assuming that you're using XP and I've seen that work a time of two.

    AG

    AG, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    I am running XP. I will try what you said. Thanks

    , Feb 22, 2005
  6. Remo Guest

    Instead of using the software that comes with the card try entering all the
    details ssid and wep code into the properties of the card in device manager
    they might stay there....

    just a thought....

    Remo, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Bum Guest

    RE Wireless connection (Laptop)

    "Remo" <> wrote in

    > Instead of using the software that comes with the card try entering
    > all the details ssid and wep code into the properties of the card in
    > device manager they might stay there....
    >
    > just a thought....
    >

    > > wrote in message
    >>I have a desktop and a laptop. They are both hooked up through a
    >> Linksys router, to get a DSL connection. I have talked to customer
    >> service to get help configuring the wireless connection to the
    >> laptop. The trouble is.....everytime I boot the laptop the connection
    >> has to be reconfigured again. What gives? How do you make the
    >> connection "stick" ?

    Recent experience has indicated four problem areas in wireless
    connections / configuration:

    MS Wireless Cards tend not to play well with Linksys or DLink Equipment -
    when they work great when they don't they are a bear to get to work in a
    steady state

    Linksys Wireless routers and D-Link repeaters and Wireless NICs do not
    work together unless all three devices are from one manufacturer.
    However, Linksys or Dlink routers to most wireless cards work fine
    together with the exception of the MS wireless card.

    The more dead space between access point and computer (be that wall
    construction, walls and hallways, etc etc) the more likely the connection
    will be dropping out from time to time.

    Lastly, if their are a number of wireless networks close by the card will
    continuously search and then drop the connection and try to re-configure.
    Case in point, setup a wireless network for a business connections would
    continuously drop and try to reconfigure itself for another network after
    a bit of wardriving found a residential house which was running a
    wireless network.

    BUM

    Bum, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Don't use the software disk on the laptop....set up your IP config's on both
    the laptop and the desktop manually. Also type in the default address of
    the router and go to it check settings in the router and make sure you save
    them. Do you use the laptop somewhere else wirelessly too? If so make sure
    your using the alternate config settings in win xp. Also turn off both the
    desktop and the laptop. Unplug your router and internet connection. Power
    cycle the router back on, followed by your internet connection. Then power
    on the desktop and laptop.. Let me know if this work.

    Mark

    Mark C. Van De Mar, Mar 9, 2005