    on the laptop and connecting to WiFi wouldn't allow someone to view data on
    my laptop right? i.e.. read Excel files or contents of my inbox etc.

    Thanks,

    Joe J., Jan 29, 2010

  2. Joe J.

    JD Guest

    On 29/01/2010 12:27 AM, Joe J. wrote:
    > I'm traveling next week for the first time with a laptop. Regarding WiFi,
    > am I correct in assuming that as long as I don't transmit a username or
    > password using the WiFi, the info on my laptop is secure? Just by turning
    > on the laptop and connecting to WiFi wouldn't allow someone to view data on
    > my laptop right? i.e.. read Excel files or contents of my inbox etc.
    >
    > Thanks,

    if you are using open wifi, make sure you have:
    your firewall on
    File sharing off
    a password on your user account(s)

    if you are using an UN-Encrypted WiFi remember that POP 3 mail
    user-name/passwords and contents are sent in the clear, which means
    anyone using a packet sniffer can see them!

    if you can, use something like a webmail account (like gmail) with
    https(secure) connection, btw you can link pop/imap accounts into gmail.

    WPA is not very good ether.

    other than that just turning on the laptop will not transmit your data
    (unless you have a trojan/rat/malware etc.) , most laptops have a switch
    to turn off the wifi when not in use.

    JD

    JD, Jan 29, 2010

  3. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > On 29/01/2010 12:27 AM, Joe J. wrote:
    >> I'm traveling next week for the first time with a laptop. Regarding
    >> WiFi,
    >> am I correct in assuming that as long as I don't transmit a username or
    >> password using the WiFi, the info on my laptop is secure? Just by
    >> turning
    >> on the laptop and connecting to WiFi wouldn't allow someone to view data
    >> on
    >> my laptop right? i.e.. read Excel files or contents of my inbox etc.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > if you are using open wifi, make sure you have:
    > your firewall on
    > File sharing off
    > a password on your user account(s)
    >
    > if you are using an UN-Encrypted WiFi remember that POP 3 mail
    > user-name/passwords and contents are sent in the clear, which means anyone
    > using a packet sniffer can see them!
    >
    > if you can, use something like a webmail account (like gmail) with
    > https(secure) connection, btw you can link pop/imap accounts into gmail.
    >
    > WPA is not very good ether.
    >
    > other than that just turning on the laptop will not transmit your data
    > (unless you have a trojan/rat/malware etc.) , most laptops have a switch
    > to turn off the wifi when not in use.
    >
    > JD

    Hello JD, you are always a wealth of info. Now here is where my dummy part
    comes in.
    My first laptop so I'm a little confused. When you say "a password on the
    user account" are you talking about any of my accounts or the log-in for the
    laptop. Since I'm the only user, I haven't set up a password for the laptop
    user, I just hit enter if it drops out (windows 7).

    thanks,

    Joe J., Jan 29, 2010
  4. Joe J.

    JD Guest

    On 29/01/2010 1:51 AM, Joe J. wrote:
    > "JD"<> wrote in message
    >> On 29/01/2010 12:27 AM, Joe J. wrote:
    >>> I'm traveling next week for the first time with a laptop. Regarding
    >>> WiFi,
    >>> am I correct in assuming that as long as I don't transmit a username or
    >>> password using the WiFi, the info on my laptop is secure? Just by
    >>> turning
    >>> on the laptop and connecting to WiFi wouldn't allow someone to view data
    >>> on
    >>> my laptop right? i.e.. read Excel files or contents of my inbox etc.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >> if you are using open wifi, make sure you have:
    >> your firewall on
    >> File sharing off
    >> a password on your user account(s)
    >>
    >> if you are using an UN-Encrypted WiFi remember that POP 3 mail
    >> user-name/passwords and contents are sent in the clear, which means anyone
    >> using a packet sniffer can see them!
    >>
    >> if you can, use something like a webmail account (like gmail) with
    >> https(secure) connection, btw you can link pop/imap accounts into gmail.
    >>
    >> WPA is not very good ether.
    >>
    >> other than that just turning on the laptop will not transmit your data
    >> (unless you have a trojan/rat/malware etc.) , most laptops have a switch
    >> to turn off the wifi when not in use.
    >>
    >> JD

    > Hello JD, you are always a wealth of info. Now here is where my dummy part
    > comes in.
    > My first laptop so I'm a little confused. When you say "a password on the
    > user account" are you talking about any of my accounts or the log-in for the
    > laptop. Since I'm the only user, I haven't set up a password for the laptop
    > user, I just hit enter if it drops out (windows 7).
    >
    > thanks,

    I meant the log-in for the laptop "Joe", however the newer versions of
    windows wont let a remote user log in without a password so I don't
    think this will be as important as it used to be.

    There's other good reasons for using a password on the user account's
    namely stopping people snooping on your stuff when they have physical
    access to the laptop, however for this to work properly you would have
    to enable private folders, folder encryption and changing the
    administrator account password.
    there's usually an admin account, you can get to through safe mode,
    all those things help stop someone from loging in as admin and looking
    at your stuff or removing the hard drive and looking at your stuff,
    however it makes fixing a broken machine difficult.

    JD

    JD, Jan 29, 2010
  5. Joe J.

    baron Guest

    JD Inscribed thus:

    > On 29/01/2010 1:51 AM, Joe J. wrote:
    >> "JD"<> wrote in message

    >>> if you are using open wifi, make sure you have:
    >>> your firewall on
    >>> File sharing off
    >>> a password on your user account(s)
    >>>
    >>> if you are using an UN-Encrypted WiFi remember that POP 3 mail
    >>> user-name/passwords and contents are sent in the clear, which means
    >>> anyone using a packet sniffer can see them!
    >>>
    >>> if you can, use something like a webmail account (like gmail) with
    >>> https(secure) connection, btw you can link pop/imap accounts into
    >>> gmail.
    >>>
    >>> WPA is not very good ether.
    >>>
    >>> other than that just turning on the laptop will not transmit your
    >>> data (unless you have a trojan/rat/malware etc.) , most laptops have
    >>> a switch
    >>> to turn off the wifi when not in use.
    >>>
    >>> JD

    >> Hello JD, you are always a wealth of info. Now here is where my
    >> dummy part comes in.
    >> My first laptop so I'm a little confused. When you say "a password
    >> on the user account" are you talking about any of my accounts or the
    >> log-in for the
    >> laptop. Since I'm the only user, I haven't set up a password for the
    >> laptop user, I just hit enter if it drops out (windows 7).
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>

    > I meant the log-in for the laptop "Joe", however the newer versions of
    > windows wont let a remote user log in without a password so I don't
    > think this will be as important as it used to be.
    >
    > There's other good reasons for using a password on the user
    > account's
    > namely stopping people snooping on your stuff when they have physical
    > access to the laptop, however for this to work properly you would have
    > to enable private folders, folder encryption and changing the
    > administrator account password.
    > there's usually an admin account, you can get to through safe mode,
    > all those things help stop someone from loging in as admin and looking
    > at your stuff or removing the hard drive and looking at your stuff,
    > however it makes fixing a broken machine difficult.
    >
    > JD

    Whilst I don't disagree with JD, realistically nothing with Windows is
    really secure. Secure webmail is about as good as it gets without
    going to extremes. I don't have or keep anything on my netbook that I
    wouldn't want anyone else to discover. No personal data, bank account
    details, credit card information, unencrypted passwords etc.

    Don't forget your tin hat... ;-)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    baron, Jan 29, 2010
  6. Joe J.

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <4b623afa$0$2477$>, JD
    <> scribeth thus
    >On 29/01/2010 12:27 AM, Joe J. wrote:
    >> I'm traveling next week for the first time with a laptop. Regarding WiFi,
    >> am I correct in assuming that as long as I don't transmit a username or
    >> password using the WiFi, the info on my laptop is secure? Just by turning
    >> on the laptop and connecting to WiFi wouldn't allow someone to view data on
    >> my laptop right? i.e.. read Excel files or contents of my inbox etc.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >if you are using open wifi, make sure you have:
    >your firewall on
    >File sharing off
    >a password on your user account(s)
    >
    >if you are using an UN-Encrypted WiFi remember that POP 3 mail
    >user-name/passwords and contents are sent in the clear, which means
    >anyone using a packet sniffer can see them!
    >
    >if you can, use something like a webmail account (like gmail) with
    >https(secure) connection, btw you can link pop/imap accounts into gmail.
    >
    >WPA is not very good ether.

    Has it been cracked as yet then, I presume this is the version that does
    travel through the ether;?....

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jan 29, 2010
  7. Joe J.

    forensics Guest

    Joe J. wrote:
    > I'm traveling next week for the first time with a laptop. Regarding WiFi,
    > am I correct in assuming that as long as I don't transmit a username or
    > password using the WiFi, the info on my laptop is secure? Just by turning
    > on the laptop and connecting to WiFi wouldn't allow someone to view data on
    > my laptop right? i.e.. read Excel files or contents of my inbox etc.
    >
    > Thanks,

    YOu should be fine unless someone really wants to get at you.

    forensics, Feb 10, 2010