    setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

    turbonium2, Aug 19, 2008

  2. turbonium2

    Lem Guest

    turbonium2 wrote:
    > I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
    > how to make it work in Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
    > laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
    > system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
    > setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    > anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    > Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

    Windows calls this "Internet Connection Sharing." It works, but not as
    well as buying a separate wireless router.

    Enable Windows Internet Connection Sharing. The catch is that you will
    have to set up an "ad hoc" wireless connection between the laptops. If
    you're using XP, only the extremely weak WEP encryption is available for
    ad hoc wireless networks. Vista enables WPA2.

    See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

    For basic ICS setup, see this article by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Aug 19, 2008