Laptop Vista sometimes denied access to network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Vml2aWFuaw==?=, May 30, 2007.

  1. I just purchased my high school grad a HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop with an
    Intel ProWireless 3945ABG network adapter. The laptop is running vista.

    I have an older router, Linksys BEFW11S4 V4. I went to the wireless tab on
    the router settings, selected "allow all" so I could add her mac address to
    the allowed list. Then I selected restrict access.

    After I restricted access, the laptop could not connect, it was denied
    access. A quick change to "allow all" let's it back in. So I re-entered the
    mac address, EXACTLY according to directions, making sure to do everything in
    the proper order, which seemed to work - once. When we turned on the
    computer later, once again, access was denied. Switching back to "allow
    all", let's her in again.

    My desktop computer (xp) which also connects via wireless was unaffected.
    It was able to connect the entire time. And naturally the computer I was
    changing the router configuration on was just fine because it was a wired
    connection.

    What am I doing wrong? I know I have her mac address correct. Could it
    have something to do with vista vs xp? Or something with firewall settings.
    And why will it work sometimes, but not other times.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Vivian K
    =?Utf-8?B?Vml2aWFuaw==?=, May 30, 2007

  2. Hi
    You might have On more Wireless security filters than just MAC address.
    The following page describe the security option of a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router
    Use the principles to extrapolate the info as it pertaining to your specific
    hardware.
    Jack (MVP-Networking)..

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 30, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Vml2aWFuaw==?=

    Lem Guest

    Viviank wrote:
    > I just purchased my high school grad a HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop with an
    > Intel ProWireless 3945ABG network adapter. The laptop is running vista.
    >
    > I have an older router, Linksys BEFW11S4 V4. I went to the wireless tab on
    > the router settings, selected "allow all" so I could add her mac address to
    > the allowed list. Then I selected restrict access.
    >
    > After I restricted access, the laptop could not connect, it was denied
    > access. A quick change to "allow all" let's it back in. So I re-entered the
    > mac address, EXACTLY according to directions, making sure to do everything in
    > the proper order, which seemed to work - once. When we turned on the
    > computer later, once again, access was denied. Switching back to "allow
    > all", let's her in again.
    >
    > My desktop computer (xp) which also connects via wireless was unaffected.
    > It was able to connect the entire time. And naturally the computer I was
    > changing the router configuration on was just fine because it was a wired
    > connection.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? I know I have her mac address correct. Could it
    > have something to do with vista vs xp? Or something with firewall settings.
    > And why will it work sometimes, but not other times.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Vivian K

    You might take a look at the IP address of the laptop when it is denied
    access. If you see something like 169.254.x.y, the laptop has not
    received an IP from the router.

    Vista has a problem in obtaining IP addresses automatically via DHCP
    from some older routers. If this is the problem, you can either use the
    fix in the KB article or set a static IP address:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

    Vista also gives up a lot faster:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, May 31, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Vml2aWFuaw==?=

    S Page Guest

    me too, KB 928233 not helping

    I connected my brand new Thinkpad T61 running Vista Home over Ethernet cable into my old but rock-solid BEFW11S4 v2.0 with latest firmware, and have had nothing but trouble. ipconfig /renew , Vista network diagnose/repair, Thinkpad connect, all take 30+ seconds and eventually fail. Indeed Vista's IP address is 169.254.23.33.

    ONCE I got a connection, but it went away after hibernation.

    So it sounds like this DHCP problem. I tried MS KB 928233. It's confusing, MS says add DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle=1 and change DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag=0. But most posts on the Internet say add DhcpConnDisableBCastFlagToggle=1 -- Disable or Enable!!? And notgartner.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/problem-in-vista-wireless-stack/ says add DhcpConnBcastFlagToggle=0 as well.

    Anyway I've tried all these without any luck. I'm pretty sure I'm tweaking the right GUID.

    With each change do I need to reboot Windows or my router or just close RegEdit?

    I've turned off UPnP in the router, does that matter?

    I wonder if MS KB 932134 is a problem as well. Routers are cheap but this router has worked flawlessly with Windows 98/XP/Mac OS/NAS.

    I debated long and hard between Vista and XP, went with the Cnet recommendation of Vista for home laptops, and got burned :-(

    Thanks for any suggestions or diagnostics.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    S Page, Sep 13, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Vml2aWFuaw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: me too, KB 928233 not helping

    if http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933872/en-us doesn't
    help, it's time to consider replacing this old router.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Sep 13, 2007
  6. Re: me too, KB 928233 not helping

    Hi
    Putting aside the Hibernation issue, it does not seem that you getting a
    connection to the Router even under normal operation.
    Do you Wireless Router appears as a an available Network when try to create
    a Wireless connection?
    Did you try with the Laptop sitting close to the Router and the security on
    both the Router and the computer is Off?
    Did you check the Firewall permissions to make sure that nothing is blocking
    the Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 14, 2007