laptop - vista not loading

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Spratt, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    Friend of mine has dropped off their laptop.
    When booting it goes past the "microsoft corporation" status animation and
    then nothing.
    Black screen with a mouse pointer (which moves around fine).

    Booting to safe mode does exactly the same thing.
    BIOS settings all appear fine and memory/disk diags report no problem.
    This is an OEM install so no Vista disk.
    They never made a recovery disk.

    I've asked the normal questions.... installed new hardware? Downloaded new
    software? All negative.
    They run it under normal user account (not admin) so assuming nothing silly
    has been done.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Friend of mine has dropped off their laptop.
    > When booting it goes past the "microsoft corporation" status animation and
    > then nothing.
    > Black screen with a mouse pointer (which moves around fine).
    >
    > Booting to safe mode does exactly the same thing.
    > BIOS settings all appear fine and memory/disk diags report no problem.
    > This is an OEM install so no Vista disk.
    > They never made a recovery disk.
    >
    > I've asked the normal questions.... installed new hardware? Downloaded new
    > software? All negative.
    > They run it under normal user account (not admin) so assuming nothing
    > silly has been done.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Jack Spratt

    Panic over - fixed it.

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Jack Spratt

    Your Name Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message

    > So - what was the fix ;-)

    Dropping it a second time. ;-)

    Your Name, Mar 7, 2009
  4. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:37:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    > <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Friend of mine has dropped off their laptop.
    >>> When booting it goes past the "microsoft corporation" status animation
    >>> and
    >>> then nothing.
    >>> Black screen with a mouse pointer (which moves around fine).
    >>>
    >>> Booting to safe mode does exactly the same thing.
    >>> BIOS settings all appear fine and memory/disk diags report no problem.
    >>> This is an OEM install so no Vista disk.
    >>> They never made a recovery disk.
    >>>
    >>> I've asked the normal questions.... installed new hardware? Downloaded
    >>> new
    >>> software? All negative.
    >>> They run it under normal user account (not admin) so assuming nothing
    >>> silly has been done.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jack Spratt

    >>Panic over - fixed it.

    > So - what was the fix ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Crash

    Her boot up options were displaying for about 1 second!
    It took me around 5 reboots to see there was (among the Fn options) a F11
    system recovery.
    Had a HP partition on it which must have had the Vista install files.
    Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    formatted usb drive to copy them to. Didn't have one to hand so she's lost
    her files but regained her laptop.

    Will be telling her the merits of system recovery disks and system restore
    points when she comes to collect it.

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 7, 2009
  5. In message <got62s$i0k$>, Jack Spratt wrote:

    > Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    > formatted usb drive to copy them to.

    Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 7, 2009
  6. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    > In message <got62s$i0k$>, Jack Spratt wrote:
    >
    >> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    >> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

    > Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

    Eh, Doesn't exist?

    My beef was the fact that it a) went through the whole backup process before
    it told me it needed to copy it to disk (as opposed to the recovery
    partition) and b) waited till I'd fetched an external HDD before telling me
    it had to be formatted to NTFS

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 7, 2009
  7. Jack Spratt

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <got62s$i0k$>, Jack Spratt wrote:
    >
    >> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    >> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

    > Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

    I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
    losing files when improperly disconnected.

    Richard, Mar 7, 2009
  8. Jack Spratt

    Enkidu Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:37:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    >> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Panic over - fixed it.

    >> So - what was the fix ;-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Crash

    > Her boot up options were displaying for about 1 second!
    > It took me around 5 reboots to see there was (among the Fn options) a
    > F11 system recovery.
    > Had a HP partition on it which must have had the Vista install files.
    > Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    > formatted usb drive to copy them to. Didn't have one to hand so she's
    > lost her files but regained her laptop.
    >
    > Will be telling her the merits of system recovery disks and system
    > restore points when she comes to collect it.

    System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 7, 2009
  9. Jack Spratt

    Enkidu Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <got62s$i0k$>, Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    >>> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

    >> Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

    > I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
    > losing files when improperly disconnected.

    It's perfectly possible to fubar a file on an NTFS volume by improperly
    disconnecting it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 7, 2009
  10. Jack Spratt

    Your Name Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    > System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

    ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
    forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

    Your Name, Mar 7, 2009
  11. Jack Spratt

    Enkidu Guest

    Your Name wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

    > ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
    > forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

    Yeah right. So that the user can lose them within 5 seconds of opening
    the box. It's a fairly good idea to put the install media on the HDD.
    Then it can't be lost. It is a fairly good idea to let the user make a
    backup of the install media too.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 7, 2009
  12. In message <gothav$q6i$>, Richard wrote:

    > I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
    > losing files when improperly disconnected.

    That's interesting, because I've seen people insist that using journalling
    on a flash device is a bad idea, because it wears out the device faster. Not
    that I consider that a valid excuse for giving up the extra protection
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/alt.os.linux/msg/15f243eb89dcd2d5>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 7, 2009
  13. In message <gout4a$m9i$>, Your Name wrote:

    > ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
    > forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

    The last PC I bought used a nifty feature called "unionfs", which meant that
    the original OS install remained untouched, in a partition that was mounted
    read-only, and all user changes went into a separate partition. There's a
    boot option to wipe the user area, thereby restoring the machine to its
    factory-installed state.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 7, 2009
  14. Jack Spratt

    PeeCee Guest

    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:37:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    >> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Panic over - fixed it.

    >> So - what was the fix ;-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Crash

    > Her boot up options were displaying for about 1 second!
    > It took me around 5 reboots to see there was (among the Fn options) a F11
    > system recovery.
    > Had a HP partition on it which must have had the Vista install files.
    > Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
    > formatted usb drive to copy them to. Didn't have one to hand so she's lost
    > her files but regained her laptop.
    >
    > Will be telling her the merits of system recovery disks and system restore
    > points when she comes to collect it.
    >
    > --
    > Jack Spratt

    mmmm!
    Methinks there were several options you could have tried first before
    blowing the clients personal data away.
    You could have removed the drive and mounted it in a USB caddy and copied
    the files.
    Or booted from UBCD for Windows or Linux CD and copied them that way.
    Maybe even booting from a Vista install CD and doing a Repair install.
    (haven't had to do a Vista one yet, but XP parks the old profile to one side
    so most of the personal stuff is still there)
    & of course one hopes you have a running PC to hand you could have
    reformatted a USB drive to NTFS with.

    P.

    PeeCee, Mar 7, 2009
  15. Jack Spratt

    Your Name Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Your Name wrote:
    > > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > >> System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

    > > ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather

    than
    > > forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.
    > >

    > Yeah right. So that the user can lose them within 5 seconds of opening
    > the box. It's a fairly good idea to put the install media on the HDD.
    > Then it can't be lost. It is a fairly good idea to let the user make a
    > backup of the install media too.

    So when the HDD crashes, you can't get at the "install media" either -
    putting it on the hard drive is one of the dumbest ideas (of MANY) ever to
    be put into practice, especially when you expect novice users to understand
    they have to burn their own discs from that ... many of them can only just
    about turn the computer on.

    There is no "100% safe" option and you can't help what idiots do - if the
    user is hopless enough to lose factory pressed CDs / DVDs, they are also
    going to lose home-made CD-R / DVD-R discs as well, whether it's burnt from
    the hard drive or backed up from the original discs. You've also got the
    problem that home-made discs are less reliable than proper factory-pressed
    ones.

    Although, with many people these days upgrading their computers every 10
    seconds to the "newest toy on the block", it doesn't really matter what you
    do since they probably won't ever need the "install media" anyway.

    Your Name, Mar 7, 2009
  16. Jack Spratt

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
    >> losing files when improperly disconnected.

    > That's interesting, because I've seen people insist that using journalling
    > on a flash device is a bad idea, because it wears out the device faster.

    errrrm, not all USB drives are flash.

    (in fact I think the OP referred to "external HD" at one point)

    butting

    --
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting
    Besides, speeding and lane-splitting is specifically encouraged

    Bryce Utting, Mar 8, 2009
  17. Jack Spratt

    Enkidu Guest

    Your Name wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Your Name wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >>> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box,
    >>> rather

    > than
    >>> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies
    >>> do.
    >>>

    >> Yeah right. So that the user can lose them within 5 seconds of
    >> opening the box. It's a fairly good idea to put the install media
    >> on the HDD. Then it can't be lost. It is a fairly good idea to let
    >> the user make a backup of the install media too.

    > So when the HDD crashes, you can't get at the "install media" either
    > - putting it on the hard drive is one of the dumbest ideas (of MANY)
    > ever to be put into practice, especially when you expect novice users
    > to understand they have to burn their own discs from that ... many of
    > them can only just about turn the computer on.

    The Acers prompt you on first boot to create the backup media, and steps
    you through the process. I've recovered a couple of machines from the on
    disk install media. It's a good idea - it's not meant to recover from a
    disk failure. Just a screwed or virus infected OS.

    > There is no "100% safe" option and you can't help what idiots do - if
    > the user is hopeless enough to lose factory pressed CDs / DVDs, they
    > are also going to lose home-made CD-R / DVD-R discs as well, whether
    > it's burnt from the hard drive or backed up from the original discs.
    > You've also got the problem that home-made discs are less reliable
    > than proper factory-pressed ones.

    No, if the user manages to make backup copies of the install media, then
    they are more likely to realise the importance of the CD/DVDs that are
    created.

    > Although, with many people these days upgrading their computers every
    > 10 seconds to the "newest toy on the block", it doesn't really matter
    > what you do since they probably won't ever need the "install media"
    > anyway.

    Many people upgrade them when they are totally infected by viruses and
    malware.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 8, 2009
  18. In message <gout4a$m9i$>, Your Name wrote:

    > ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
    > forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

    Then again, customers don't like to pay extra for little things like that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 8, 2009
  19. In message <gov3h4$pns$>, Bryce Utting wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <gothav$q6i$>, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
    >>> losing files when improperly disconnected.

    >> That's interesting, because I've seen people insist that using
    >> journalling on a flash device is a bad idea, because it wears out the
    >> device faster.

    > errrrm, not all USB drives are flash.

    Not sure why the question would have arisen otherwise.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 8, 2009
  20. In message <gov48s$qak$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <gout4a$m9i$>, Your Name wrote:
    >
    >> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
    >> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

    > Then again, customers don't like to pay extra for little things like that.

    Actually no, I think it was Microsoft that stopped the vendors from doing
    that for Windows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 8, 2009