    Any information is welcome.

    Cheers

    Troy
    Asterix, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Asterix

    Terry Robb Guest

    ALT-Enter will normally make a DOS program go full screen, same again to
    convert back to window.
    As for upgrading I would not think so. Very few laptops have the ability to
    upgrade video, and then only to add memory. The video chip is embedded on
    the main board and cannot be replaced. Also given the age of your laptop
    even a memory upgrade (video memory) would not be possible I think.

    Terry...

    Terry Robb, Nov 15, 2005

  3. Asterix

    Daniel Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently got an older laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 4060xcdt. It is a
    > Pentium 2, 333Mhz with 128Mb RAM and 2.5 Mb video card. The problem I am
    > having is when playing older DOS games like Doom, or Quake, and even Quake2
    > and Unreal tournament, the screen is very small, about half the actual
    > screen, is there something I can do to make the games go full screen? Also
    > is it possible to get a 3d graphics card for this machine?
    >
    > Any information is welcome.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Troy

    Sounds like you have one of those laptops that ran lower resolutions
    using a 1:1 ratio of when mapping pixels to pixels. Modern laptops will
    tweak a lower resolution to fit the entire screen.

    In other words, say your laptops native LCD runs at 800x600, and you
    play a game at 640x400, then you'll get a 640x400 playing area in the
    middle of your LCD, with black borders around it (unused portion of the
    screen), because the LCD doesn't know how to "stretch" the image to fit
    the 800x600 native resolution.

    Usually the one exception to this rule was when you used a full screen
    text mode (80x25, or 80x43/50), which the manufacturers specifically
    catered for.
    Mind you, that's a fat lot of good if you're trying to run 320x200
    resolution DOS games.
    Daniel, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Asterix

    Daniel Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently got an older laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 4060xcdt. It is a
    > Pentium 2, 333Mhz with 128Mb RAM and 2.5 Mb video card. The problem I am
    > having is when playing older DOS games like Doom, or Quake, and even Quake2
    > and Unreal tournament, the screen is very small, about half the actual
    > screen, is there something I can do to make the games go full screen? Also
    > is it possible to get a 3d graphics card for this machine?
    >
    > Any information is welcome.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Troy

    Of course, your other option is to use an external monitor. Although,
    that would restrict your mobility if you want to take your games with you.

    I imagine Quake2 doesn't look so hot with that Trident video chipset.
    Daniel, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Asterix

    Asterix Guest

    I would have thought that the problem is with the video card, so using a
    different monitor would make no difference?

    Asterix, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Asterix

    Daniel Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > I would have thought that the problem is with the video card, so using a
    > different monitor would make no difference?

    No.

    If it's the problem I described earlier, then when your video card sends
    signals to the monitor to run at whatever resolution (assuming your
    monitor can handle it of course - which it should, since it's a low
    resolution DOS game), the monitor will display things full screen.

    The problem isn't with your video chipset. It's with the LCD. It
    wouldn't make any difference what video card you used - your LCD just
    isn't capable of displaying the lower non-native resolutions at full screen.

    Confirming this would be easy. Just move your laptop to where a monitor
    is, and plug it in.
    Daniel, Nov 16, 2005
  7. Asterix

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:05:35 +1300, "Asterix" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I recently got an older laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 4060xcdt. It is a
    >Pentium 2, 333Mhz with 128Mb RAM and 2.5 Mb video card. The problem I am
    >having is when playing older DOS games like Doom, or Quake, and even Quake2
    >and Unreal tournament, the screen is very small, about half the actual
    >screen, is there something I can do to make the games go full screen? Also
    >is it possible to get a 3d graphics card for this machine?
    >
    >Any information is welcome.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Troy

    You are Joking..

    Dump it..
    XP, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Asterix

    Judges1318 Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently got an older laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 4060xcdt. It is a
    > Pentium 2, 333Mhz with 128Mb RAM and 2.5 Mb video card. The problem I am
    > having is when playing older DOS games like Doom, or Quake, and even Quake2
    > and Unreal tournament, the screen is very small, about half the actual
    > screen, is there something I can do to make the games go full screen? Also
    > is it possible to get a 3d graphics card for this machine?

    try going to bios (esc. upon boot)
    perhaps there is an option like - scale display - or something like that
    if so, set - yes
    Judges1318, Nov 16, 2005
  9. Asterix

    Asterix Guest

    Thanks mate - I did what you suggested and it worked!
    Thanks to everyone that helped

    Cheers

    Troy

    Asterix, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Asterix

    Daniel Guest

    Asterix wrote:
    > Thanks mate - I did what you suggested and it worked!
    > Thanks to everyone that helped

    Nice.

    I'll have to try that on the laptop I have at work.
    Daniel, Nov 16, 2005