Laptop video cards sharing with system memory

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gary L T, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its video
    system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems that most of
    the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/ graphics chip, they are
    usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an important drawback of such
    laptops, or would it be noticeable only when playing high-end games that
    need a lot of graphics power? Would the playing back of films / videos be
    satisfactory when viewing them on laptops where the video is shared with the
    system's main memory?

    I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
    integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be sharing
    with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video chip? Would
    this chip be suitable for video editing and for playing car racing games
    etc? Thanks for your help.

    Gary
     
    Gary L T, Aug 30, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gary L T

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Gary L T" <> wrote in news::

    > I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its
    > video system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems
    > that most of the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/
    > graphics chip, they are usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an
    > important drawback of such laptops, or would it be noticeable only
    > when playing high-end games that need a lot of graphics power?



    Yes

    Would
    > the playing back of films / videos be satisfactory when viewing them
    > on laptops where the video is shared with the system's main memory?


    Yes


    >
    > I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
    > integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be
    > sharing with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video
    > chip?


    Don't know

    Would this chip be suitable for video editing
    Probably not

    and for playing
    > car racing games etc?


    New ones, from 2005, no

    Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    >
    >




    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Aug 30, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gary L T

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, a X700 is a good chip to have and will play all high end games just
    fine. My own laptop has a X600 with only 64mb's of ram and it plays Doom3,
    HL2 just fine at quite hig settings. If you want to look at these forums
    you'll probably find an answer to your question on video editing.....
    http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=2347e397913fce5b0dc97ed191636ba5&f=135
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    Cheers,
    ChrisC
    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns96C2EA1CD8FB4daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6...
    > "Gary L T" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its
    >> video system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems
    >> that most of the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/
    >> graphics chip, they are usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an
    >> important drawback of such laptops, or would it be noticeable only
    >> when playing high-end games that need a lot of graphics power?

    >
    >
    > Yes
    >
    > Would
    >> the playing back of films / videos be satisfactory when viewing them
    >> on laptops where the video is shared with the system's main memory?

    >
    > Yes
    >
    >
    >>
    >> I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
    >> integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be
    >> sharing with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video
    >> chip?

    >
    > Don't know
    >
    > Would this chip be suitable for video editing
    > Probably not
    >
    > and for playing
    >> car racing games etc?

    >
    > New ones, from 2005, no
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> Gary
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave
     
    ChrisC, Aug 30, 2005
    #3
  4. Gary L T

    Mel Guest

    Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
    processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
    it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
    genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc

    Mel

    Gary L T wrote:
    > I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its video
    > system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems that most of
    > the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/ graphics chip, they are
    > usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an important drawback of such
    > laptops, or would it be noticeable only when playing high-end games that
    > need a lot of graphics power? Would the playing back of films / videos be
    > satisfactory when viewing them on laptops where the video is shared with the
    > system's main memory?
    >
    > I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
    > integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be sharing
    > with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video chip? Would
    > this chip be suitable for video editing and for playing car racing games
    > etc? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    >
     
    Mel, Aug 31, 2005
    #4
  5. Gary L T

    Daniel Guest

    Mel wrote:
    > Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
    > processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
    > it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
    > genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc
    >
    > Mel
    >


    True.

    Not to be confused with the Celeron M series processors, which are based
    on the more efficient Penitum M cores.
     
    Daniel, Aug 31, 2005
    #5
  6. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:4314651f$0$1280$...
    > Hi, a X700 is a good chip to have and will play all high end games just
    > fine. My own laptop has a X600 with only 64mb's of ram and it plays Doom3,
    > HL2 just fine at quite hig settings. If you want to look at these forums
    > you'll probably find an answer to your question on video editing.....
    > http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=2347e397913fce5b0dc97ed191636ba5&f=135
    > http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    > Cheers,
    > ChrisC


    Thanks for this information, most helpful, a dedicated laptop forum is a
    good idea!
     
    Gary L T, Aug 31, 2005
    #6
  7. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    news:df323m$5h9$...
    > Mel wrote:
    >> Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
    >> processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
    >> it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
    >> genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc
    >>
    >> Mel
    >>

    >
    > True.
    >
    > Not to be confused with the Celeron M series processors, which are based
    > on the more efficient Penitum M cores.


    I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
    would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
    with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
    difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?

    Gary
     
    Gary L T, Aug 31, 2005
    #7
  8. Gary L T

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:45:51 +1200, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >news:df323m$5h9$...
    >> Mel wrote:
    >>> Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
    >>> processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
    >>> it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
    >>> genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc
    >>>
    >>> Mel
    >>>

    >>
    >> True.
    >>
    >> Not to be confused with the Celeron M series processors, which are based
    >> on the more efficient Penitum M cores.

    >
    >I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
    >would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
    >with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
    >difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?
    >
    >Gary
    >


    Don't get Pentium M confused with Centrino. Centrino itself is not a
    type of processor but a marketing phrase used by Intel.

    http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/

    --
    SETI Stats
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats.php/userID:1999/prj:1/trans:off
     
    DoggNZ, Aug 31, 2005
    #8
  9. Gary L T

    Daniel Guest

    Gary L T wrote:
    >
    > I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
    > would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
    > with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
    > difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?
    >
    > Gary
    >

    As DoggNZ stated, Centrino is not a chip, but more of a marketing label
    made up by Intel.

    However, Centrino laptops do use Pentium M's (in addition to an Intel
    chipset, and Intel wireless technology).

    Considering the Celeron M's are basically the same chips as the Pentium
    M's - AFAIK, with the main differences being the cache (512K/1MB vs
    1MB/2MB), and FSB speed, I'd be surprised if there was significant
    difference between those CPUs running at the same clock speed. Unlike
    the Pentium 4 vs "normal" Celeron.
     
    Daniel, Aug 31, 2005
    #9
  10. Gary L T

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, yw, hope they are of good use in your search....
    ChrisC
    "Gary L T" <> wrote in message news:43153465$...
    >
    > "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:4314651f$0$1280$...
    >> Hi, a X700 is a good chip to have and will play all high end games just
    >> fine. My own laptop has a X600 with only 64mb's of ram and it plays
    >> Doom3, HL2 just fine at quite hig settings. If you want to look at these
    >> forums you'll probably find an answer to your question on video
    >> editing.....
    >> http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=2347e397913fce5b0dc97ed191636ba5&f=135
    >> http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    >> Cheers,
    >> ChrisC

    >
    > Thanks for this information, most helpful, a dedicated laptop forum is a
    > good idea!
    >
    >
     
    ChrisC, Aug 31, 2005
    #10
  11. Gary L T

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:10:51 +1200, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >Gary L T wrote:
    >>
    >> I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
    >> would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
    >> with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
    >> difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?
    >>
    >> Gary
    >>

    >As DoggNZ stated, Centrino is not a chip, but more of a marketing label
    >made up by Intel.
    >
    >However, Centrino laptops do use Pentium M's (in addition to an Intel
    >chipset, and Intel wireless technology).
    >
    >Considering the Celeron M's are basically the same chips as the Pentium
    >M's - AFAIK, with the main differences being the cache (512K/1MB vs
    >1MB/2MB), and FSB speed, I'd be surprised if there was significant
    >difference between those CPUs running at the same clock speed. Unlike
    >the Pentium 4 vs "normal" Celeron.


    We've got a few HP nx6120 Celeron M and Pentium M models. For most
    thing, I don't think anyone would know the difference.
    --
    SETI Stats
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats.php/userID:1999/prj:1/trans:off
     
    DoggNZ, Aug 31, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?=

    2 desktop connected and sharing, 1 laptop connect but not sharing

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?=, Sep 2, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    622
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?=
    Sep 2, 2005
  2. Video cards and TV Capture cards

    , Jan 31, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    818
    jda^fx
    Jan 31, 2004
  3. Gibben
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,094
    Gibben
    Jul 11, 2003
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    498
    stewy
    Jan 17, 2005
  5. Replies:
    17
    Views:
    2,908
    ASAAR
    Aug 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page