    main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    get to all the sockets etc. TIA
    PWB, Jan 1, 2005

  2. PWB

    Bulld0g Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    news:AaGBd.1387$...
    > i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    > main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    > reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    > get to all the sockets etc. TIA

    None whatsoever. I have a laptop and a desktop and i very rarely use the
    desktop these day.A laptop can do whatever a desktop can.
    Bulld0g, Jan 1, 2005

  3. PWB

    DC Guest

    Bulld0g wrote:

    > "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >> i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    >> main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    >> reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    >> get to all the sockets etc. TIA

    > None whatsoever. I have a laptop and a desktop and i very rarely use the
    > desktop these day.A laptop can do whatever a desktop can.

    You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.
    DC, Jan 1, 2005
  4. PWB

    Bulld0g Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Bulld0g wrote:
    >
    > > "PWB" <> wrote in message
    > >> i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    > >> main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    > >> reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it

    > >> get to all the sockets etc. TIA

    > > None whatsoever. I have a laptop and a desktop and i very rarely use the
    > > desktop these day.A laptop can do whatever a desktop can.

    > You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.

    That is true. I stand corrected on that.
    Bulld0g, Jan 1, 2005
  5. PWB

    DC Guest

    Bulld0g wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Bulld0g wrote:

    >> > "PWB" <> wrote in message

    >> > None whatsoever. I have a laptop and a desktop and i very rarely use the
    >> > desktop these day.A laptop can do whatever a desktop can.

    >> You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.

    > That is true. I stand corrected on that.

    Well, unless he needs a hotplate for fixing his meals, yeah. };O)

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  6. PWB

    as94 Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message

    I thought that laptops crashed alot more than desk tops?
    as94, Jan 2, 2005
  7. PWB

    DC Guest

    as94 wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Bulld0g wrote:

    > I thought that laptops crashed alot more than desk tops?

    Upspeak is even more annoying on USENET. I didn't think that it was
    possible, but there you go. Oh, and nice job quoting and attributing
    [nothing], btw.

    So, was your post intended to be a question or a statement? If the
    former, I have no idea what you thought, or think, or exactly what level
    of brain function enabled you to compose that message. If the latter,
    well... so what?

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  8. PWB

    as94 Guest

    "Bulld0g" <> wrote in message

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Bulld0g wrote:
    >>
    >> > "PWB" <> wrote in message

    >> > None whatsoever. I have a laptop and a desktop and i very rarely use
    >> > the
    >> > desktop these day.A laptop can do whatever a desktop can.

    >> You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.
    >>

    > That is true. I stand corrected on that.

    I have heard that laptops actually crashed alot more often than desk tops,
    perhaps this is not the case with the more modern versions and the more
    modern operating systems such as windows XP compared to windows 98SE.

    Anybody know if this is true or not?

    as94, Jan 2, 2005
  9. PWB

    Ira Hayes Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a main
    >PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The reason I was
    >thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to get to all the
    >sockets etc. TIA

    Without knowing what kind of disability you have and what you can and can't
    do, it's hard to offer advice.

    Be aware though, that many laptops don't have many ports-- or sockets as you
    call them.

    Ike
    Ira Hayes, Jan 2, 2005
  10. PWB

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: laptop v desktop
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => DC <= wrote:

    >You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.

    Apparently you don't either, Mandrake.

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Jan 2, 2005
  11. PWB

    DC Guest

    G Morgan wrote:
    > Subject: Re: laptop v desktop
    > Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >=> DC <= wrote:

    [...]

    >>You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.

    > Apparently you don't either, Mandrake.

    You cut me, man. You cut me real deep. }:O)

    DC, Jan 2, 2005
  12. PWB

    pete Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:15:44 GMT, PWB <> wrote:

    >i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    >main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    >reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    >get to all the sockets etc. TIA

    I am also disabled and I got a laptop. I have noticed some draw backs
    though that you will get over. If you have the laptop actually on your
    lap it could stop the cooling system working if the air intake becomes
    blocked and secondly the mouse on a lap top is rubbish to use. The way
    I intend to get round this is by having a remote mouse and remote
    keyboard.
    HTH
    pete
    pete, Jan 2, 2005
  13. pete wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:15:44 GMT, PWB <> wrote:
    >

    >>i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    >>main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    >>reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    >>get to all the sockets etc. TIA

    > I am also disabled and I got a laptop. I have noticed some draw backs
    > though that you will get over. If you have the laptop actually on your
    > lap it could stop the cooling system working if the air intake becomes
    > blocked and secondly the mouse on a lap top is rubbish to use. The way
    > I intend to get round this is by having a remote mouse and remote
    > keyboard.
    > HTH
    > pete

    Apparently it is bad for your nuts (not so much the nuts, but the little
    buggers that travel through them) to have a laptop on your lap.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 2, 2005
  14. PWB

    pete Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:04:33 GMT, Brian H¹©
    <> wrote:

    >pete wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:15:44 GMT, PWB <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    >>>main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    >>>reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    >>>get to all the sockets etc. TIA

    >> I am also disabled and I got a laptop. I have noticed some draw backs
    >> though that you will get over. If you have the laptop actually on your
    >> lap it could stop the cooling system working if the air intake becomes
    >> blocked and secondly the mouse on a lap top is rubbish to use. The way
    >> I intend to get round this is by having a remote mouse and remote
    >> keyboard.
    >> HTH
    >> pete
    >>

    >Apparently it is bad for your nuts (not so much the nuts, but the little
    >buggers that travel through them) to have a laptop on your lap.

    I have no more use for those that travel through them anyhow;-)
    pete
    pete, Jan 2, 2005
  15. PWB

    Mellowed Guest

    I think you will find that the Laptop is slower probably due to the lower HD
    rotation speed.

    Mellowed, Jan 2, 2005
  16. PWB

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Mellowed mused:

    | I think you will find that the Laptop is slower probably due to the lower
    | HD rotation speed.

    That won't be noticeable to most users.
    mhicaoidh, Jan 2, 2005
  17. PWB

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, as94 mused:

    | Anybody know if this is true or not?

    It is absolutely not true.
    mhicaoidh, Jan 2, 2005
  18. PWB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    | pete wrote:
    |
    | > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:15:44 GMT, PWB <> wrote:
    | >

    | >>i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a
    | >>main PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The
    | >>reason I was thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to
    | >>get to all the sockets etc. TIA
    | >

    | > I am also disabled and I got a laptop. I have noticed some draw backs
    | > though that you will get over. If you have the laptop actually on your
    | > lap it could stop the cooling system working if the air intake becomes
    | > blocked and secondly the mouse on a lap top is rubbish to use. The way
    | > I intend to get round this is by having a remote mouse and remote
    | > keyboard.
    | > HTH
    | > pete
    | >

    | Apparently it is bad for your nuts (not so much the nuts, but the little
    | buggers that travel through them) to have a laptop on your lap.

    That's okay. I'm not using them anyway :(
    Toolman Tim, Jan 2, 2005
  19. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Bulld0g wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bulld0g wrote:
    >>

    >>>"PWB" <> wrote in message

    >>>None whatsoever. I have a laptop and a desktop and i very rarely use the
    >>>desktop these day.A laptop can do whatever a desktop can.

    >>You don't do any heavy gaming, obviously.
    >>

    > That is true. I stand corrected on that.

    no i dont do any heavy gaming neither i mainly use it for descktop
    publishing and chatting
    PWB, Jan 2, 2005
  20. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Ira Hayes wrote:

    > "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>i am a disabled person and i'm thinking of buying a laptop to use a a main
    >>PC is there any real difference in useing it as a main PC? The reason I was
    >>thinking of it is for me it is more conveniant to use it to get to all the
    >>sockets etc. TIA

    > Without knowing what kind of disability you have and what you can and can't
    > do, it's hard to offer advice.
    >
    > Be aware though, that many laptops don't have many ports-- or sockets as you
    > call them.
    >
    > Ike

    Im Spina - Bifida I use a wheelchair and getting out of it is impossible
    I have to wait till my wife is in
    PWB, Jan 2, 2005