    machine and hook her laptop (computer?) (router?) to the modem?

    5tulips
    -----------
    5tulips, Dec 6, 2009

  2. 5tulips

    Barb Bowman Guest

    In addition to the other answer, you really would be much safer behind a router
    every day. ask your daughter to help you pick out a router for your own
    permanent use.

    On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 00:47:29 -0500, "5tulips" <>
    wrote:

    >Can someone enlighten me? Is it just "unhook the modem from my desktop
    >machine and hook her laptop (computer?) (router?) to the modem?

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    Barb Bowman, Dec 6, 2009

  3. 5tulips

    seaweedsl Guest

    Re: Laptop User wants to use my modem (cable Internet) with herwireless router

    On Dec 5, 11:47 pm, "5tulips" <>
    wrote:
    > My daughter is coming for a long visit. She has a laptop computer and a
    > wireless router. She wants permission to use my cable modem to connect to
    > the Internet. She says all she has to do is hook up to my modem.
    >
    > I can't believe that's all there is to it. I have no idea what kind of
    > laptop cable she plans to connect to my modem.
    >
    > Can someone enlighten me?  Is it just "unhook the modem  from my desktop
    > machine and hook her laptop (computer?) (router?) to the modem?
    >
    > 5tulips
    > -----------

    She has the right idea and that will be fine. As someone else said
    indirectly, you really should have a firewall in your system in any
    case. Ask your daughter to help make sure that your modem acts as a
    firewall or that you get a reliable router with a firewall in your
    system.
    seaweedsl, Dec 6, 2009
  4. 5tulips

    5tulips Guest

    Thank you seaweeds!. We should be able to take care of that. Just have to
    check, then, with the ISP who installed the modem. I don't have any
    documentation on security with that. I do have a system firewall. Will
    check her computer for firewall also.
    At least I have some idea of what's necessary. Again, thanks.
    --
    5tulips

    "seaweedsl" <> wrote in message

    5tulips, Dec 7, 2009
  5. 5tulips

    seaweedsl Guest

    Re: Laptop User wants to use my modem (cable Internet) with herwireless router

    On Dec 6, 8:55 pm, "5tulips" <>
    wrote:
    > Thank you seaweeds!. We should be able to take care of that. Just have to
    > check, then, with the ISP who  installed the modem. I don't have any
    > documentation on security with that. I do have a system firewall.  Will
    > check her computer for firewall also.
    > At least I have some idea of what's necessary. Again, thanks.
    > --

    To clarify, there are Local Network (LAN) firewalls and then there are
    individual firewalls on each PC. I'm talking (and probably Barb
    also) about the LAN firewall, which is included nowadays as part of
    any home router. This is the most important one.

    Whether your pc has an aftermarket software firewall installed or just
    uses the included Windows firewall (what I prefer) is another
    issue.

    Personally, I wouldn't trust the ISP's modem to act as a firewall even
    if they assured me that it does. I don't want them controlling the
    settings from afar to suit their needs. Just get your own router and
    put it inline. Your daughter will know how to do that.

    Steve
    seaweedsl, Dec 7, 2009
  6. 5tulips

    john Guest

    seaweedsl wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 8:55 pm, "5tulips" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Thank you seaweeds!. We should be able to take care of that. Just have to
    >> check, then, with the ISP who installed the modem. I don't have any
    >> documentation on security with that. I do have a system firewall. Will
    >> check her computer for firewall also.
    >> At least I have some idea of what's necessary. Again, thanks.
    >> --

    > To clarify, there are Local Network (LAN) firewalls and then there are
    > individual firewalls on each PC. I'm talking (and probably Barb
    > also) about the LAN firewall, which is included nowadays as part of
    > any home router. This is the most important one.
    >
    > Whether your pc has an aftermarket software firewall installed or just
    > uses the included Windows firewall (what I prefer) is another
    > issue.
    >
    > Personally, I wouldn't trust the ISP's modem to act as a firewall even
    > if they assured me that it does. I don't want them controlling the
    > settings from afar to suit their needs. Just get your own router and
    > put it inline. Your daughter will know how to do that.
    >
    > Steve

    exactly
    john, Dec 7, 2009
  7. 5tulips

    5tulips Guest

    Re: Laptop User wants to use my modem (cable Internet) with her wireless router

    The visitor is here. My son sent us a graphic to demonstrate the simple
    connection. We did it yesterday . Security is assured and it was a pretty
    painless, 3 minute process. Thanks again.
    --
    5tulips

    "john" <> wrote in message
    : seaweedsl wrote:
    : > On Dec 6, 8:55 pm, "5tulips" <>
    : > wrote:
    : >> Thank you seaweeds!. We should be able to take care of that. Just have
    : >> check, then, with the ISP who installed the modem. I don't have any
    : >> documentation on security with that. I do have a system firewall. Will
    : >> check her computer for firewall also.
    : >> At least I have some idea of what's necessary. Again, thanks.
    : >> --
    : >
    5tulips, Dec 11, 2009