    network?

    I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop but
    couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network connections.
    Don, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Don

    Malke Guest

    Don wrote:

    > First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to
    > wireless.
    >
    > I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin
    > coax)
    > that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
    > built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
    > network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a
    > router or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP
    > machines on the network?
    >
    > I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop
    > but couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
    > connections.

    Add a wireless access point to the router. Here is a good site that
    explains equipment, etc. Naturally you don't need to buy Linksys
    hardware; it is just that the site explains things clearly.

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Don wrote:
    >
    >> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to
    >> wireless.
    >>
    >> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin
    >> coax)
    >> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
    >> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
    >> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a
    >> router or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP
    >> machines on the network?
    >>
    >> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop
    >> but couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
    >> connections.

    > Add a wireless access point to the router. Here is a good site that
    > explains equipment, etc. Naturally you don't need to buy Linksys
    > hardware; it is just that the site explains things clearly.
    >
    > Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    >
    > Malke

    Thanks. I saw that link before but it didn't answer my basic question.

    DO I REALLY NEED A ROUTER? They seem more designed to share internet
    connections which I do not want.

    Is a USB Wireless adapter enough?
    Don, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Don

    Malke Guest

    Don wrote:

    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >> Don wrote:
    >>
    >>> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to
    >>> wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin
    >>> coax)
    >>> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop
    >>> has
    >>> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my
    >>> existing
    >>> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a
    >>> router or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP
    >>> machines on the network?
    >>>
    >>> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop
    >>> but couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
    >>> connections.

    > Thanks. I saw that link before but it didn't answer my basic question.
    >
    > DO I REALLY NEED A ROUTER? They seem more designed to share internet
    > connections which I do not want.
    >
    > Is a USB Wireless adapter enough?

    How are your 4 computers wired? I just assumed you already had a router.
    I don't know what "BNC" means. If you are using just a hub/switch to
    create an internal network, this article might be useful:

    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    Router - MVP Barb Bowman
    http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)

    Malke
    Malke, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Don wrote:
    >

    >> "Malke" <> wrote in message

    >> Thanks. I saw that link before but it didn't answer my basic question.
    >>
    >> DO I REALLY NEED A ROUTER? They seem more designed to share internet
    >> connections which I do not want.
    >>
    >> Is a USB Wireless adapter enough?

    > How are your 4 computers wired? I just assumed you already had a router.
    > I don't know what "BNC" means. If you are using just a hub/switch to
    > create an internal network, this article might be useful:
    >
    > Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    > Router - MVP Barb Bowman
    > http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)
    >
    > Malke

    The computers are connected like so: A------>B-------->C--------->D
    The thin coax cable goes from one computer to the next and connects to each
    computer using a BNC Connector. Each end computer has a terminating
    resistor. There is no hub or switch involved. It's been this way for at
    least 10 years although I have replaced computers over the years. I simply
    move the old network card from the old computer to the new one.

    The article above looks interesting. Do you know if the USB adapter can
    replace the network card she's talking about installing in the host
    computer? I don't think I have an extrra slot for another network card.

    Thanks for your attemps to help a poor sole.
    Don, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Don

    GTS Guest

    Wow! It's a long time since I've seen a network using BNC connectors and
    coax. Assuming your NIC's also have RJ-45 ports, you really would be better
    off to use a wireless router and connect your wired computers by UTP
    Ethernet cables to the router. (The DI-524 is a good router that will work
    fine if properly configured.) If this isn't practical for you because of
    wiring considerations, you could add a wireless adaptor to one of the
    desktop machines and establish an ad-hoc connection to that machine from the
    laptop. If you bridge the wired and wireless connections in that machine I
    believe it should give you access to the rest of the network from the
    laptop.

    GTS, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Don

    smackedass Guest

    smackedass, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Don

    Don Guest

    The wireless network adapter in one of the desktop machines seems to be
    exactly what I want. Now does this have to be a card type network adapter
    or will a usb adapter (ie: DLINK DWL-G132) work just as well.

    Thanks for your help. (I hope to retire soon so I don't want to
    replace/update the entire network)

    Don, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Don

    smackedass Guest

    Don,

    First of all, you don't mention what OS those 4 computers are running...was
    there an inference there about XP?

    Second of all, BNC and "thin coax" aren't exactly state-of-the-art
    technology. I don't think that they're true Ethernet, though my A+ days are
    spotty in my brain...wait, this just in, BNC is 10 Base 2 Ethernet, which
    one doesn't really hear much about these days...
    http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci211681,00.html

    Thirdly, the network schema that you describe...A-------B-------C-------D is
    known as a Bus Network, something else not commonly seen these days. The
    big disadvantage to a Bus Network is that if one of the links (cable,
    connector, card, etc.), on any one of those nodes, you've got a lot of
    troubleshooting to do to figure out what went wrong. And, when mixing these
    older, and newer technologies, there's a lot that can go wrong.

    If you're a hobbyist who has lots of time on his hands, go for it, research
    this to the bone, if you figure it out, I'd be interested in knowing. You
    seem like someone who appreciates a challenge.

    HowEVER, if time is of the essence, and you need to have a stable, efficient
    network, start out with 100MBS capable network cards and Cat5 cabling, it
    will probably be much easier.

    Also, having a wireless router (Linksys makes great products, and offers
    great tech support via phone, even if their accents aren't so common) will
    make life a lot easier for you also.

    Best Wishes,

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Don

    Don Guest

    Hi there:

    I have two Win98 machines and two XP machines on the network. I probably
    didn't connect the router properly. What I did was connect it with the
    Ethernet cable to one of the XP machines. It seemed to disable the old
    network as I could no longer see or map any of the other computers. My
    laptop said it connected to the wireless network but I couln't see the XP
    Desktop or connect to any of its drives.

    I've now returned the router and am considering the wireless network adapter
    route as suggested by GTS.
    Please see my reply to him/her.

    I may be working on this for a while. I didn't realize I was such an
    antique.

    Don, Feb 12, 2006
  11. Don

    GTS Guest

    Bridging should work the same with either type of adaptor.
    Here's some info on Network Bridges in XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/hnw_understanding_bridge.mspx

    GTS, Feb 13, 2006