    Is there any pressing need for Windows 7 Professional over Home
    Premium - needs to network to another computer (shared documents) and
    a network photocopier/printer?

    peterwn, Sep 22, 2010

  2. On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:14:02 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <>
    wrote:

    >I am helping someone with purchase recommendation. 15 inch or so
    >screen satisfactory and MS Office 2010 (with Publisher and Access) to
    >be used. User under pressure could have various Word, Publisher and
    >image files open.
    >My gut feeling is mid range processor (i5 or similar) and 4G memory.
    >However would bottom range laptops with 2G memory handle such a
    >workload satisfactorily?
    >Is there any pressing need for Windows 7 Professional over Home
    >Premium - needs to network to another computer (shared documents) and
    >a network photocopier/printer?

    Go for 4gb and a dedicated Separate Graphics Chip, not just the Inbuilt
    Intel one..

    William Brown, Sep 23, 2010

  3. peterwn

    PeeCee Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > I am helping someone with purchase recommendation. 15 inch or so
    > screen satisfactory and MS Office 2010 (with Publisher and Access) to
    > be used. User under pressure could have various Word, Publisher and
    > image files open.
    > My gut feeling is mid range processor (i5 or similar) and 4G memory.
    > However would bottom range laptops with 2G memory handle such a
    > workload satisfactorily?
    > Is there any pressing need for Windows 7 Professional over Home
    > Premium - needs to network to another computer (shared documents) and
    > a network photocopier/printer?

    Peter

    Do research your friends requirements 'carefully' as it is so easy to push
    them toward a Laptop that you want rather than what they want.

    In general you get what you pay for.
    There is a reason why any given Laptop of the same spec is cheaper than
    another and it usually means lower performance or reliability parts have
    been used.
    There a few 'bargains' out there as there are only a handful of 'real'
    Laptop Manufacturers and the whole production process is pretty refined
    nowadays.
    From: http://ezinearticles.com/?OEM---The-Hidden-Laptop&id=482010
    <quote>
    True manufacturers like Quanta and Compal (which is not Compaq) alone
    produce almost 50% of all the portables run out in the world. The remainder
    is divided between Wistron, Asus, Uniwill, Clevo, FIC, Aopen, ECS, etc.
    </quote>
    You may like to note the only 'Brand' listed is Asus.

    As for retail brands, have a read of this document produced by an extended
    warranty insurance company
    http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/?ccode=bs_war_buyerblog
    In that report they put Toshiba and Asus at the top and HP at the bottom.
    (which surprises a lot of people)

    This is not the only 'reliability' survey that has appeared lately with HP
    at the bottom and it all stems from the 'Pavilion' line of laptops.
    The problem lies with the 'DV' series with nVidea graphics chips that got
    hot and unsoldered themselves from the mother board.
    Unless you have reflow soldering equipment to hand its a new motherboard and
    at just under $700 they effectively write the laptop off.
    The HP Probook and Elitebook range on the other hand are a different kettle
    of fish, if they were separated out the surveys would show a different
    picture.

    So:

    Stick to Toshiba, Asus or HP "Pro/Elitebook"
    i3 or i5 CPU, i3 if virtualization is not important, i5 if you need to run
    Pro's XPMode virtual XP PC (or a little more performance)
    i7's are great if you want maximum performance but a) you pay for it in $
    and heat b) often come in 17" LCD which is to big for convenient
    portability.
    AMD is simply not in the hunt, and although cheaper, loose their edge
    quicker.

    4 GB of RAM so Windows 7 runs properly, if you go for 64bit make sure the
    Laptop will support 8GB of RAM to allow headroom for OS Bloat.
    32 bit Windows can't use more than 3GB of RAM and should only be considered
    if there are legacy applications that need 32 bit Windows to work.
    One of the easiest 'fixes' I get to do these days is to add RAM to an
    XP/Vist/W7 PC that came with the minimum 'recommended' RAM
    Particularly so if their HD is a slower 5400 RPM one, Windows paging to slow
    drives like this is 'painful' and simply solved by getting (today) 4GB of
    RAM in the first place.

    Hard drive size is a value call but most of the mainstream 15"ers are
    offering 250 - 500GB these days.
    SSD hard drives are not quite there yet, expensive per GB, and a bit
    'bleeding edge' for general use.

    Optical drive, most offer a DVD RW/Lightscribe/RAM drive, more bucks will
    buy a BluRay, again a value call for the buyer.

    Screen quality is not a particular worry as even the cheapest are 'good'
    enough for Office, email use.
    Screen size is a value call 15-16 " is mainstream, but if your friend
    carries the Laptop around a lot 13-14" is a lot more convenient.
    Resolution is mainstreaming at 1366 x 768, higher resolutions (eg 1600 x
    1200) will cost.
    Go for LED backlight to lower power consumption and extended life.

    Graphics chipset is a trade off between power and convenience.
    Despite what Woger says the Intel chipsets are good enough for general use
    and some even include HDMI output.
    (just checked 1080p movie on a HM57 Express chipset, ran just fine.)
    Sure a separate Graphics chip is needed it you are into games, but you pay
    for it in power consumption, a bigger power brick, shorter battery life and
    much more heat from the Laptop and power brick.
    There are some Laptops that hibernate the grunty graphics chip and use an
    onboard when demands are low, but again you pay for the privilege.

    Battery life, 6 cell or 9 cell ??? depends on a) the power consumption/spec
    of the Laptop b) what the owner expects, another buyers value call.

    Dial up Modem, I've noticed some laptops are omitting 56K modems, something
    the buyer needs to consider if Dial up is required, though a USB modem from
    DSE could be thrown in the bag 'in case'.

    As for Windows other than the 32/64 bit issue the only practical advantage
    of Pro over Home Premium is Pro will allow remote control out of the tin,
    and 'XP Mode' Virtual XP PC.
    There are other advantages but for the average user not significant.
    Home Premium will network quite happily with any of the MS OS's (W3.1 up
    AFAIK).

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 23, 2010
  4. peterwn

    Simon Guest

    On Sep 23, 2:00 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    > 4 GB of RAM so Windows 7 runs properly, if you go for 64bit make sure the
    > Laptop will support 8GB of RAM to allow headroom for OS Bloat.

    4Gb is usually fine - we run all our laptops with that amount of RAM,
    and use Office 2010 Pro. Total RAM utilisation is around the 2-2.5GB
    mark in that config. But I agree it's a good idea to make sure that
    it'll support more, as user expectations and utilisation never remain
    what they thought/said it would!

    > Screen quality is not a particular worry as even the cheapest are 'good'
    > enough for Office, email use.
    > Screen size is a value call 15-16 " is mainstream, but if your friend
    > carries the Laptop around a lot 13-14" is a lot more convenient.
    > Resolution is mainstreaming at 1366 x 768, higher resolutions (eg 1600 x
    > 1200) will cost.
    > Go for LED backlight to lower power consumption and extended life.
    >
    > Graphics chipset is a trade off between power and convenience.
    > Despite what Woger says the Intel chipsets are good enough for general use
    > and some even include HDMI output.
    > (just checked 1080p movie on a HM57 Express chipset, ran just fine.)

    But of course on a 1366 x 768 resolution laptop, you're not going to
    be able to enjoy true 1080p anyway.... but that's a moot point.

    To be honest, I find the vertical resolution of 768 quite annoying. It
    doesn't let me view enough of a document or email unless I scale it.
    Of course I could just be getting fussy.

    Simon, Sep 23, 2010
  5. peterwn

    Dave Taylor Guest

    peterwn <> wrote in news:b0762030-ebc9-4606-b7d4-
    :

    > My gut feeling is mid range processor (i5 or similar) and 4G memory.
    > However would bottom range laptops with 2G memory handle such a
    > workload satisfactorily?

    Maybe if they have an older machine and are already used to the paging
    performance hit.

    Get more RAM, it is cheap.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 23, 2010
  6. peterwn

    Richard Guest

    On 23/09/2010 3:00 p.m., Simon wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 2:00 pm, "PeeCee"<> wrote:
    >
    >> 4 GB of RAM so Windows 7 runs properly, if you go for 64bit make sure the
    >> Laptop will support 8GB of RAM to allow headroom for OS Bloat.

    > 4Gb is usually fine - we run all our laptops with that amount of RAM,
    > and use Office 2010 Pro. Total RAM utilisation is around the 2-2.5GB
    > mark in that config. But I agree it's a good idea to make sure that
    > it'll support more, as user expectations and utilisation never remain
    > what they thought/said it would!

    Some will take 4GB sticks to go past 4GB, most will not. And whenever I
    have priced it out it has been cheaper to buy a laptop with the minimum
    ram, and then buy what you want elsewhere and swap it over.

    Same with HDD

    >> Screen quality is not a particular worry as even the cheapest are 'good'
    >> enough for Office, email use.
    >> Screen size is a value call 15-16 " is mainstream, but if your friend
    >> carries the Laptop around a lot 13-14" is a lot more convenient.
    >> Resolution is mainstreaming at 1366 x 768, higher resolutions (eg 1600 x
    >> 1200) will cost.
    >> Go for LED backlight to lower power consumption and extended life.
    >>
    >> Graphics chipset is a trade off between power and convenience.
    >> Despite what Woger says the Intel chipsets are good enough for general use
    >> and some even include HDMI output.
    >> (just checked 1080p movie on a HM57 Express chipset, ran just fine.)

    > But of course on a 1366 x 768 resolution laptop, you're not going to
    > be able to enjoy true 1080p anyway.... but that's a moot point.
    >
    > To be honest, I find the vertical resolution of 768 quite annoying. It
    > doesn't let me view enough of a document or email unless I scale it.
    > Of course I could just be getting fussy.

    No, its a real issue, particually if you size the taskbar up to 2 or 3
    rows to fit more on. And 7 has an inexplicably high button height on the
    taskbar that I have found no way to resolve. Could almost fit 2 lines of
    text on each of the button.

    Higher res panels are a real premium item, and they only seem to offer
    it on the high spec laptops. I would be quite happy with a crap laptop
    with 1920x1200 screen since when at home I tent to RDP to the desktop
    since it has the apps on it, and when out I am just doing basic stuff.

    Richard, Sep 23, 2010
  7. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 23, 2:00 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > > I am helping someone with purchase recommendation. 15 inch or so
    > > screen satisfactory and MS Office 2010 (with Publisher and Access) to
    > > be used. User under pressure could have various Word, Publisher and
    > > image files open.
    > > My gut feeling is mid range processor (i5 or similar) and 4G memory.
    > > However would bottom range laptops with 2G memory handle such a
    > > workload satisfactorily?
    > > Is there any pressing need for Windows 7 Professional over Home
    > > Premium - needs to network to another computer (shared documents) and
    > > a network photocopier/printer?

    > Peter
    >
    > Do research your friends requirements 'carefully' as it is so easy to push
    > them toward a Laptop that you want rather than what they want.

    Agree. Friend has 8 year old laptop running Office XP etc and speed
    and prospective reliability are now issues. Friend also wants Office
    2010 (with Access and Publisher). So I think I know friend's
    requirements reasonably well. Friend's organisation will purchase
    laptop but would need to be reasonably convinced why a $799 laptop 'on
    special' is unlikely to be satisfactory.

    After considering various comments made in this thread, it seems a mid
    range laptop intended for the corporate rather than consumer market
    will best meet needs.

    Thanks everyone for comments.

    peterwn, Sep 23, 2010
  8. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 2:00 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >> "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >>> I am helping someone with purchase recommendation. 15 inch or so
    >>> screen satisfactory and MS Office 2010 (with Publisher and Access)
    >>> to be used. User under pressure could have various Word, Publisher
    >>> and image files open.
    >>> My gut feeling is mid range processor (i5 or similar) and 4G memory.
    >>> However would bottom range laptops with 2G memory handle such a
    >>> workload satisfactorily?
    >>> Is there any pressing need for Windows 7 Professional over Home
    >>> Premium - needs to network to another computer (shared documents)
    >>> and a network photocopier/printer?

    >> Peter
    >>
    >> Do research your friends requirements 'carefully' as it is so easy
    >> to push them toward a Laptop that you want rather than what they
    >> want.

    > Agree. Friend has 8 year old laptop running Office XP etc and speed
    > and prospective reliability are now issues. Friend also wants Office
    > 2010 (with Access and Publisher). So I think I know friend's
    > requirements reasonably well. Friend's organisation will purchase
    > laptop but would need to be reasonably convinced why a $799 laptop 'on
    > special' is unlikely to be satisfactory.
    >
    > After considering various comments made in this thread, it seems a mid
    > range laptop intended for the corporate rather than consumer market
    > will best meet needs.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for comments.

    A laptop designed for the corporate market is for sure the best choice. As a
    rule of thumb I've suggested to people in the past that if it has a 'port'
    for a docking station, chances are it's a reasonable laptop.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Sep 24, 2010
  9. peterwn

    victor Guest

    On 24/09/2010 9:44 a.m., peterwn wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 2:00 pm, "PeeCee"<> wrote:
    >> "peterwn"<> wrote in message

    >>> I am helping someone with purchase recommendation. 15 inch or so
    >>> screen satisfactory and MS Office 2010 (with Publisher and Access) to
    >>> be used. User under pressure could have various Word, Publisher and
    >>> image files open.
    >>> My gut feeling is mid range processor (i5 or similar) and 4G memory.
    >>> However would bottom range laptops with 2G memory handle such a
    >>> workload satisfactorily?
    >>> Is there any pressing need for Windows 7 Professional over Home
    >>> Premium - needs to network to another computer (shared documents) and
    >>> a network photocopier/printer?

    >> Peter
    >>
    >> Do research your friends requirements 'carefully' as it is so easy to push
    >> them toward a Laptop that you want rather than what they want.

    > Agree. Friend has 8 year old laptop running Office XP etc and speed
    > and prospective reliability are now issues. Friend also wants Office
    > 2010 (with Access and Publisher). So I think I know friend's
    > requirements reasonably well. Friend's organisation will purchase
    > laptop but would need to be reasonably convinced why a $799 laptop 'on
    > special' is unlikely to be satisfactory.
    >
    > After considering various comments made in this thread, it seems a mid
    > range laptop intended for the corporate rather than consumer market
    > will best meet needs.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for comments.

    Check out the SL series Lenovos, they are midrange corporate build
    quality and they will fit your budget.
    They are pretty linux friendly as well.

    http://www.lenovo.com/nz/en/

    victor, Sep 24, 2010
  10. On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:50:39 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 24/09/2010 9:44 a.m., peterwn wrote:
    >> On Sep 23, 2:00 pm, "PeeCee"<> wrote:
    >>> "peterwn"<> wrote in message

    >>> Peter
    >>>
    >>> Do research your friends requirements 'carefully' as it is so easy to push
    >>> them toward a Laptop that you want rather than what they want.

    >> Agree. Friend has 8 year old laptop running Office XP etc and speed
    >> and prospective reliability are now issues. Friend also wants Office
    >> 2010 (with Access and Publisher). So I think I know friend's
    >> requirements reasonably well. Friend's organisation will purchase
    >> laptop but would need to be reasonably convinced why a $799 laptop 'on
    >> special' is unlikely to be satisfactory.
    >>
    >> After considering various comments made in this thread, it seems a mid
    >> range laptop intended for the corporate rather than consumer market
    >> will best meet needs.
    >>
    >> Thanks everyone for comments.

    >Check out the SL series Lenovos, they are midrange corporate build
    >quality and they will fit your budget.
    >They are pretty linux friendly as well.
    >
    >http://www.lenovo.com/nz/en/

    No NO NO No one sells them any more

    And the better revived models are no longer listed

    William Brown, Sep 25, 2010
  11. peterwn

    victor Guest

    On 25/09/2010 6:12 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:50:39 +1200, victor<> wrote:

    >>> Agree. Friend has 8 year old laptop running Office XP etc and speed
    >>> and prospective reliability are now issues. Friend also wants Office
    >>> 2010 (with Access and Publisher). So I think I know friend's
    >>> requirements reasonably well. Friend's organisation will purchase
    >>> laptop but would need to be reasonably convinced why a $799 laptop 'on
    >>> special' is unlikely to be satisfactory.
    >>>
    >>> After considering various comments made in this thread, it seems a mid
    >>> range laptop intended for the corporate rather than consumer market
    >>> will best meet needs.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks everyone for comments.

    >> Check out the SL series Lenovos, they are midrange corporate build
    >> quality and they will fit your budget.
    >> They are pretty linux friendly as well.
    >>
    >> http://www.lenovo.com/nz/en/

    > No NO NO No one sells them any more
    >
    > And the better revived models are no longer listed

    You don't usually find the corporate spec ones in the retail chain stores
    I just bought 2 for my business through Aquila Technology
    http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/
    You can also buy them direct.
    They are well designed and constructed, not at all like the current boy
    racer look.

    victor, Sep 25, 2010
  12. On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:48:02 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 25/09/2010 6:12 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    >>> Check out the SL series Lenovos, they are midrange corporate build
    >>> quality and they will fit your budget.
    >>> They are pretty linux friendly as well.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.lenovo.com/nz/en/

    >> No NO NO No one sells them any more
    >>
    >> And the better revived models are no longer listed
    >>

    >You don't usually find the corporate spec ones in the retail chain stores
    >I just bought 2 for my business through Aquila Technology
    >http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/
    >You can also buy them direct.
    >They are well designed and constructed, not at all like the current boy
    >racer look.

    I found a great a few reviews of one with good graphics had its own
    GPU and other great specs, but no longer listed here, they now Only list
    corporate models.

    They have a bad record as they were sold or still sold by The Warehouse.

    William Brown, Sep 25, 2010
  13. peterwn

    Rhino Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:54:02 +1200, William Brown <>
    wrote:

    >I found a great a few reviews of one with good graphics had its own
    >GPU and other great specs, but no longer listed here, they now Only list
    >corporate models.
    >
    >They have a bad record as they were sold or still sold by The Warehouse.

    What are you smoking Roger? Your posts are getting even harder to
    decipher.

    If someone wants to spend the extra money on getting a "Corporate
    Spec" Toshiba/Dell/Lenovo they will end up with a laptop that will be
    able to carry out all the usual Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Visio and email
    functions they require.

    My company provided Dell 6400 runs XP SP3,and is capable of running
    Office 2007 amd multiple VmWare machines simultaneously along with
    several browser based applications.

    PS: Before you slag me off a teenager, I have worked in the Voice and
    IT industries for 41 years.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Sep 25, 2010
  14. peterwn

    victor Guest

    On 25/09/2010 10:54 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:48:02 +1200, victor<> wrote:

    >>> No NO NO No one sells them any more
    >>>
    >>> And the better revived models are no longer listed
    >>>

    >> You don't usually find the corporate spec ones in the retail chain stores
    >> I just bought 2 for my business through Aquila Technology
    >> http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/
    >> You can also buy them direct.
    >> They are well designed and constructed, not at all like the current boy
    >> racer look.

    > I found a great a few reviews of one with good graphics had its own
    > GPU and other great specs, but no longer listed here, they now Only list
    > corporate models.

    I'm pretty sure he just said he wanted a mid range corporate laptop.
    Its pointless just randomly sticking your oar in if you can't follow the
    thread.

    victor, Sep 25, 2010
  15. On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:25:50 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 25/09/2010 10:54 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    >>> You don't usually find the corporate spec ones in the retail chain stores
    >>> I just bought 2 for my business through Aquila Technology
    >>> http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/
    >>> You can also buy them direct.
    >>> They are well designed and constructed, not at all like the current boy
    >>> racer look.

    >> I found a great a few reviews of one with good graphics had its own
    >> GPU and other great specs, but no longer listed here, they now Only list
    >> corporate models.
    >>

    >I'm pretty sure he just said he wanted a mid range corporate laptop.
    >Its pointless just randomly sticking your oar in if you can't follow the
    >thread.

    But ware will he get support, it would be better in my mind to go for a
    DELL..

    William Brown, Sep 25, 2010
  16. On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:23:48 +1200, Rhino <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:54:02 +1200, William Brown <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I found a great a few reviews of one with good graphics had its own
    >>GPU and other great specs, but no longer listed here, they now Only list
    >>corporate models.
    >>
    >>They have a bad record as they were sold or still sold by The Warehouse.

    >What are you smoking Roger? Your posts are getting even harder to
    >decipher.
    >
    >If someone wants to spend the extra money on getting a "Corporate
    >Spec" Toshiba/Dell/Lenovo they will end up with a laptop that will be
    >able to carry out all the usual Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Visio and email
    >functions they require.
    >
    >My company provided Dell 6400 runs XP SP3,and is capable of running
    >Office 2007 amd multiple VmWare machines simultaneously along with
    >several browser based applications.
    >
    >PS: Before you slag me off a teenager, I have worked in the Voice and
    >IT industries for 41 years.
    >

    >Cheers, Rhino

    I just don't care how long you have been cleaning toilets, I still think
    its legal to have my own opinion.

    William Brown, Sep 25, 2010
  17. peterwn

    victor Guest

    On 26/09/2010 10:07 a.m., William Brown wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:25:50 +1200, victor<> wrote:

    >>> I found a great a few reviews of one with good graphics had its own
    >>> GPU and other great specs, but no longer listed here, they now Only list
    >>> corporate models.
    >>>

    >> I'm pretty sure he just said he wanted a mid range corporate laptop.
    >> Its pointless just randomly sticking your oar in if you can't follow the
    >> thread.

    > But ware will he get support, it would be better in my mind to go for a
    > DELL..

    Lenovo have a lot of large deals in govt education and business. AUT
    have 400 Thinkpads. Ministry of Justice is all Lenovo, treasury wonks
    all have Thinkpads.
    I was in the market for Dell Vostros but I bought Lenovo this time
    instead of Dell specifically because of troubles an associate was having
    with Dell service and sales.
    I'm happy with mine, I was just passing along my personal endorsement to
    peter.

    victor, Sep 25, 2010