    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Nov 25, 2006

  2. David wrote:
    > My main computer is OK but I kept my old one, 98se as a spare, but it takes
    > up room. It seems almost everyone I know has a laptop,

    i only use PC's, and only ever will until i decide i really want the
    mobile ability a laptop gives me - and even then i'll still use a PC as
    a main.

    > but from what I see
    > laptops are more to buy than desktop computers.
    > Is it possible to get laptops at better prices?

    dell?

    > I wonder if prices are high due to them being a must have item.

    possibly, but thats business
    David Fairbrother, Nov 25, 2006

  3. David

    David Guest

    "David Fairbrother" <> wrote in message
    ?

    >> I wonder if prices are high due to them being a must have item.

    > possibly, but thats business

    Yes I agree, whilst people will pay £500+ they will ask it.
    But look at terrestrial digital TV boxes at first £399 now £25 in Tesco.
    DVD players hundreds of pounds saw one in Asda £19.99.
    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Nov 25, 2006
  4. David

    Baron Guest

    David wrote:

    > My main computer is OK but I kept my old one, 98se as a spare, but it
    > takes
    > up room. It seems almost everyone I know has a laptop, but from what
    > I see laptops are more to buy than desktop computers.
    > Is it possible to get laptops at better prices?
    > I wonder if prices are high due to them being a must have item.

    Local Woolies has them at 349.99 ! However ! If you do buy one and
    then find out that it won't do something that you want it to do, you
    will pay an arm and a leg to upgrade !

    --
    Baron:
    Baron, Nov 25, 2006
  5. David

    David Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message news:45684e5e@212.67.96.135...

    > Local Woolies has them at 349.99 ! However ! If you do buy one and
    > then find out that it won't do something that you want it to do, you
    > will pay an arm and a leg to upgrade !

    Do you know the make/model for me to look spec. up.
    Thanks for info.
    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Nov 25, 2006
  6. David

    Baron Guest

    David wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message news:45684e5e@212.67.96.135...
    >

    >> Local Woolies has them at 349.99 ! However ! If you do buy one and
    >> then find out that it won't do something that you want it to do, you
    >> will pay an arm and a leg to upgrade !
    >>

    > Do you know the make/model for me to look spec. up.
    > Thanks for info.

    Not of the top of my head ! Happened to be in there with the wife on
    Monday..... I avoid going out shopping if I can. I'm sure you know what
    I mean.

    --
    Baron:
    Baron, Nov 25, 2006
  7. David

    bmoag Guest

    If you do not know why you might need a laptop or prefer it to a desktop why
    buy one?
    Even zillion dollar laptops with dual 3d video cards are significantly
    slower than desk top units and far more expensive.
    If all you do is surf the web, use word processing and occasional
    spreadsheet or financial programs a laptop may be preferable to a desk top.
    I perform all my daily business on a laptop but everything else on a higher
    end desktop.
    Even low-end current model portables will likely outperform a Win98 vintage
    desktop.
    Alas the many low-end laptops out there, under $1000, are generally lacking
    in processing power, disc space or memory for anything but basic use.
    As laptops have no second hard drive, and a USB second drive does not count,
    they all really require at least 512mbs of ram, preferably 1gb, for anything
    like Photoshop, video editing or other intensive application.
    bmoag, Nov 25, 2006