    able to get technical support to fix this? I'm fuming at Toshiba right
    now for not giving alerts when we did change the settings. Is there
    some way to overcome these regional settings? Cheers

    Miriam Seshadri, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Miriam Seshadri

    Java Jive Guest

    Do you know how to manipulate the Windows registry?

    If you don't, *don't* try and do this because there is great potential for
    wrecking your Windows installation by unknowledgeable poking about in the
    registry, but if you feel competent at it, there may be a registry setting
    that controls the count and DVD Region. Note also, if it's a work PC,
    there may be disciplinary consequences through altering your PC's setup and
    you may even be prevented from doing so by your firm's security settings.

    But, by way of example, I used to use the following registry files to alter
    my IBM Thinkpad between Regions 1 & 2 and reset the change count to 0 (your
    PC would probably need something similar but different, according to your
    DVD player software, etc). Note that in my case the DVD region was held in
    3 different places, one encrypted. Probably your best initial approach
    would be to reset the count in the registry and then change the region in
    the conventional way (ICR whether a reboot would be required between the
    two):

    You shouldn't be fuming at Toshiba for this, you should be fuming at the
    movie industry for introducing a restrictive practice whose sole purpose is
    to protect regional markets from global competition and so allow the
    industry to overcharge.

    REGEDIT4

    ; Region 1 = USA, Canada
    ; Region 2 = Europe, Near East, South Africa, Japan
    ; Region 3 = SE Asia
    ; Region 4 = Australia, Central and S America
    ; Region 5 = Africa, Asia, E Europe
    ; Region 6 = China

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ATI Technologies\MultiMedia\Features\FPlay]
    "Reg"=dword:00000002

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
    "DVD_Region"="2"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Quadrant International, Inc.\Software
    Cinemaster\0.9\Regionalization]
    "Changes"=dword:00000000
    "RegionCode"=dword:24534251 ; Region 2

    .... and ...

    REGEDIT4

    ; Region 1 = USA, Canada
    ; Region 2 = Europe, Near East, South Africa, Japan
    ; Region 3 = SE Asia
    ; Region 4 = Australia, Central and S America
    ; Region 5 = Africa, Asia, E Europe
    ; Region 6 = China

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ATI Technologies\MultiMedia\Features\FPlay]
    "Reg"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
    "DVD_Region"="1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Quadrant International, Inc.\Software
    Cinemaster\0.9\Regionalization]
    "Changes"=dword:00000000
    "RegionCode"=dword:43241234 ; Region 1

    Java Jive, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Miriam Seshadri

    Justin Guest

    Java Jive wrote on [Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:02:58 -0000]:
    > Do you know how to manipulate the Windows registry?
    >
    > If you don't, *don't* try and do this because there is great potential for
    > wrecking your Windows installation by unknowledgeable poking about in the
    > registry, but if you feel competent at it, there may be a registry setting
    > that controls the count and DVD Region. Note also, if it's a work PC,
    > there may be disciplinary consequences through altering your PC's setup and
    > you may even be prevented from doing so by your firm's security settings.
    >
    > But, by way of example, I used to use the following registry files to alter
    > my IBM Thinkpad between Regions 1 & 2 and reset the change count to 0 (your
    > PC would probably need something similar but different, according to your
    > DVD player software, etc). Note that in my case the DVD region was held in
    > 3 different places, one encrypted. Probably your best initial approach
    > would be to reset the count in the registry and then change the region in
    > the conventional way (ICR whether a reboot would be required between the
    > two):

    This is all assuming that the ROM itself doesn't have a built in
    counter. I know most desktop DVD ROMs have inbuilt counters, and some
    are even easy to defeat. I'm not so sure about laptop DVD-ROMS, but I
    would assume so.

    Justin, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Java Jive wrote:
> [...]
    >>couple of U.S DVD's with me. When I rented DVD's here, I was sometimes
    >>(not always) asked to change the regional code . There was no warning
    >>or any information that I could do this only a limited number of
    >>times. So I would just click "ok" and that's it. Well, we rented a DVD
    >>tonight and it wouldn't play, claiming that it couldn't play region 4
    >>movies on the laptop anymore. When we checked the DVD properties, we
    >>only then found out that we can only change the regional settings
    >>four times and then won't be able to change them at all, even if we
    >>reinstall Windows. My laptop is still covered by warranty, would I be
    >>able to get technical support to fix this? I'm fuming at Toshiba right
    >>now for not giving alerts when we did change the settings. Is there
    >>some way to overcome these regional settings? Cheers

    What model Thinkpad did you try this with. I know for the early T
    series there is a region 0 firmware floating around, but I'd feel more
    confident about this registy method.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Miriam Seshadri

    P Pron Guest

    Miriam Seshadri <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a toshiba Satellite which has a DVD player/burner. I

    recently
    > moved from the United States to Australia, so of course I brought a
    > couple of U.S DVD's with me. When I rented DVD's here, I was

    sometimes
    > (not always) asked to change the regional code . There was no

    warning
    > or any information that I could do this only a limited number of
    > times. So I would just click "ok" and that's it. Well, we rented a

    DVD
    > tonight and it wouldn't play, claiming that it couldn't play region

    4
    > movies on the laptop anymore. When we checked the DVD properties, we
    > only then found out that we can only change the regional settings
    > four times and then won't be able to change them at all, even if we
    > reinstall Windows. My laptop is still covered by warranty, would I

    be
    > able to get technical support to fix this? I'm fuming at Toshiba

    right
    > now for not giving alerts when we did change the settings. Is there
    > some way to overcome these regional settings? Cheers

    I don't know for sure that this will work on a machine that's already
    run out of region changes, but you should try DVD43 ("DVD for Free")
    available from
    :-http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd43.c
    fm - I have it on my Tosh Satellite, and it works a treat - note that
    you also need to download a driver - details are in the article.

    Slightly less frightening than editing the registry!!

    paul

    P Pron, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Miriam Seshadri

    Java Jive Guest

    I adapted it for each of various models I had at my last place of work,
    mostly 600 series. However, as the hardware and associated software varies
    significantly between models, you should derive your own. Next time you need
    to change the region code:

    1) Run the registry editor, put the cursor at the top of the registry
    tree, and choose Registry; Export registry file; call it, say, Before.reg
    2) Make the region changes. You can reboot if prompted (can't remember
    now).
    3) Run the registry editor again, put the cursor at the top of the
    registry tree, and choose Registry; Export registry file; call it, say,
    After.reg
    4) Compare the two text files using the console FC command (directing the
    command output into a results file), or a text editor that can compare
    files, such as Textpad.

    There will be quite a lot of irrelevant differences between the files,
    particularly if you do a reboot in between takes, but with patience you
    should be able to isolate a limited number of relevant entries such as in my
    examples.

    Alternatively, if you possess snapshot software such as WinInstall, you
    can isolate the registry changes using that.

    HTHs

    Java Jive, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Miriam Seshadri

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Java Jive wrote:
    > Do you know how to manipulate the Windows registry?

    But the OP states that reinstalling windows will not fix the problem.
    So how could editing the registry help the problem?

    ....major snippage ...

    > "Miriam Seshadri" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a toshiba Satellite which has a DVD player/burner. I recently
    >>moved from the United States to Australia, so of course I brought a
    >>couple of U.S DVD's with me. When I rented DVD's here, I was sometimes
    >>(not always) asked to change the regional code . There was no warning
    >>or any information that I could do this only a limited number of
    >>times. So I would just click "ok" and that's it. Well, we rented a DVD
    >>tonight and it wouldn't play, claiming that it couldn't play region 4
    >>movies on the laptop anymore.

    >>When we checked the DVD properties, we
    >>only then found out that we can only change the regional settings
    >>four times and then won't be able to change them at all, even if we
    >>reinstall Windows.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Dick Sidbury, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Miriam Seshadri

    Java Jive Guest

    Actual quote was "even if we reinstall Windows", implying OP hasn't
    actually tried it.

    As the registry files I listed certainly worked for me, I suspect that
    reinstalling Windows might have cured it, despite any information to the
    contrary OP may have received. Alternatively, as I never used up all the
    changes, another possible scenario is that once the changes have been used
    up the info is *then* hardcoded in some way, and the OP is thereby correct.
    But I doubt it, consider:

    1) Most tabletop players are region encoded without irreversible
    hardware changes, many can be hacked by using the remote control.
    2) After three or so years use in their original country, used
    laptops are frequently exported, and I've never heard of hardware DVD region
    encoding being a barrier or a problem with such exports.

    Java Jive, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Miriam Seshadri

    Justin Guest

    Java Jive wrote on [Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:59:23 -0000]:
    > Actual quote was "even if we reinstall Windows", implying OP hasn't
    > actually tried it.
    >
    > As the registry files I listed certainly worked for me, I suspect that
    > reinstalling Windows might have cured it, despite any information to the
    > contrary OP may have received. Alternatively, as I never used up all the
    > changes, another possible scenario is that once the changes have been used
    > up the info is *then* hardcoded in some way, and the OP is thereby correct.

    It is a requirement of the licensor that all DVD-ROMs have a hardware
    based limit.

    Justin, Mar 6, 2004
  10. There's a software that you can purchase that will allow you to LEGALLY use for an unlimited
    changes of regions.

    Roy Sharif M. Sison, Mar 6, 2004
  11. Miriam Seshadri

    harshasrikanth

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    what happened to your website?

    Hi Miriam,
    My daughter LOVED your rhymesandsongs website that you made for Lalitha..I am not able to access it..is there any way you can make it available? She cries everyday and wants me to show her that site.
    Thanks,
    Harsha

    harshasrikanth, Jun 14, 2007