    Sony Vaio PCG-FX290

    Ideas?

    Treb
    Treb, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Treb

    Harrison Guest

    My guess would be that you have altered some other BIOS settings.
    Re-enter the BIOS and load the defaults.
    Also try System Restore from within Windows.

    Harrison, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Treb

    Treb Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > My guess would be that you have altered some other BIOS settings.
    > Re-enter the BIOS and load the defaults.
    > Also try System Restore from within Windows.
    >
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 04:34:56 GMT, "Treb"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I screwed with all that Bios Password stuff and now the laptop won't come
    > >out of Safe Mode. Even though I tell it to start normally, it defaults

    back
    > >to Safe Mode.
    > >
    > >Windows XP Pro
    > >Sony Vaio PCG-FX290
    > >
    > >Ideas?
    > >
    > >Treb

    Just tried that. Still isn't happy.

    Thanks,

    Treb
    Treb, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Treb

    DH Guest

    There is a file in the root directory of your C: drive called MSDOS.SYS.
    This is a read-only, system file. You will have to change the attributes of
    this file to edit it. But first, just look at it. Look for a line in the
    file that says SAFE MODE=1. If you see this line either erase it, or change
    the 1 to a 0 and save the file. Reset the attributes of the file, shutdown
    and turn off computer. Turn the computer back on and see if it starts up
    right.

    DH, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Treb

    Treb Guest

    TAKE A BOW, DH

    Hear yea, hear yea...................

    Da DH is the MAN....................

    That was some awesome advice. After making the adjustments you described,
    the next boot up was normal.

    Many thanks.........

    Still haven't been able to get into the bios as I do not have the password.
    Many have suggested heaps, but spending $160 to replace the chip is
    something I would rather avoid.

    Any ideas?

    Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-FX290 Win XP

    Gracias............

    Treb

    Treb, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Treb

    Mellowed Guest

    That's very good DH. I was very nervous with your suggestion as the
    possibility for Murphy to strike was strong. But, it worked. Very good!

    "DH" <> wrote in message
    : There is a file in the root directory of your C: drive called MSDOS.SYS.
    : This is a read-only, system file. You will have to change the attributes
    of
    : this file to edit it. But first, just look at it. Look for a line in the
    : file that says SAFE MODE=1. If you see this line either erase it, or
    change
    : the 1 to a 0 and save the file. Reset the attributes of the file, shutdown
    : and turn off computer. Turn the computer back on and see if it starts up
    : right.
    :
    :
    : "Treb" <> wrote in message
    : news:yagwb.481049$pl3.19430@pd7tw3no...
    : >
    : > "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : > > My guess would be that you have altered some other BIOS settings.
    : > > Re-enter the BIOS and load the defaults.
    : > > Also try System Restore from within Windows.
    : > >
    : > > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 04:34:56 GMT, "Treb"
    : > > <> wrote:
    : > >
    : > > >I screwed with all that Bios Password stuff and now the laptop won't
    : come
    : > > >out of Safe Mode. Even though I tell it to start normally, it
    defaults
    : > back
    : > > >to Safe Mode.
    : > > >
    : > > >Windows XP Pro
    : > > >Sony Vaio PCG-FX290
    : > > >
    : > > >Ideas?
    : > > >
    : > > >Treb
    : > > >
    : > >
    : >
    Mellowed, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Treb

    DH Guest

    Glad it helped you. About that BIOS password problem. Have you tried
    removing the CMOS battery and starting the computer? I think that should
    clear the BIOS on your computer......and maybe, just maybe, the BIOS
    password too. Although, it'll probably clear everything EXCEPT the password.

    DH, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Treb

    Treb Guest

    Yeah, that doesn't work with Sony Vaio laptops.

    Thanks again,

    Treb

    Treb, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Treb

    ctrywade

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    iv got the same problem but every thang i try does not work ,it in a loop it will not let me do anythang
    ctrywade, Aug 11, 2009