laptop seems to be forgetting how to wake up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dfghjk, May 8, 2004.

  1. dfghjk

    dfghjk Guest

    I use my laptop and close the cover when I move, causing it to sleep.
    Often, lately, it will forget exactly what it was doing when it wakes.
    IE, some functions of a running program won't work, like voice
    recognition of a mapping program or even clicking of the mouse.
    Keyboard commands and mouse movement work, I just can't click on
    anything in the program - but I can to open other programs or the
    start menu, whatever.

    where to look????

    dell inspiron 8200
    pentium 4m 1600
    win xp pro
    384M memory
    30G drive w/2 partions C: w/1.1G free and D: w/5.3G free

    thanks
     
    dfghjk, May 8, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. dfghjk

    Parko Guest

    dfghjk wrote:

    > I use my laptop and close the cover when I move, causing it to sleep.
    > Often, lately, it will forget exactly what it was doing when it wakes.
    > IE, some functions of a running program won't work, like voice
    > recognition of a mapping program or even clicking of the mouse.
    > Keyboard commands and mouse movement work, I just can't click on
    > anything in the program - but I can to open other programs or the
    > start menu, whatever.
    >
    > where to look????
    >
    > dell inspiron 8200
    > pentium 4m 1600
    > win xp pro
    > 384M memory
    > 30G drive w/2 partions C: w/1.1G free and D: w/5.3G free
    >
    > thanks
    >

    After slapping a glass against the adjoining wall and pressing my ear to
    it I would suggest:

    Start | My Computer | Local Disk (C:) | right click | Properties

    Start poking around in General, Tools and Hardware. General: look at how
    small the magenta slice of the pie is. Aim for at least 15% free disk
    space. Delete or archive any files you haven't accessed for a few
    months. A thorough disk defragmentation in Windows XP whatever is
    usually a good idea, *this cannot be underestimated with M$ product*
    with a decent disk defragmenter like:
    http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html
    or
    http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp?ad=ewoldk10
    While you're at it grab:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
    Use it.
    *Bookmark this place*
    http://www.sysinternals.com/
    Performance tools are useful, particularly PageDefrag. Bluescreen.scr is
    also a hoot. Nearly as good as the Linux BSOD screen saver. Just be
    aware that most of the tools on the SysInternals site are command
    line/prompt utilities.
    BTW I've just re-installed WinXP and all the stuff not included with the
    WinXP installation disk you pay good money for. It seems like its taken
    a week, 45 reboots and at least 17 hours of file defragmentation just to
    get the bugger to work like *any version* of a Linux distribution out of
    the box. Time to make a new disk image with the new HW and SW.
    Just for the sake of some recreational gaming.
    --
    Parko.
    Still undergoing a temporary lapse of sanity using Windows XP.
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Defenestrate Windows!
     
    Parko, May 8, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. dfghjk

    dfghjk Guest

    I have about 20% free on each partition and I use diskeeper to defrag.
    I have also set max folders reg entry to something like 8000.

    I just seems to keep forgetting things.
    Just now I was transfering files from DT to LT then I went to sync an
    application and the network was gone. I had to play with the settings
    again to get it back.



    On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:43:18 GMT, Parko <> wrote:

    >dfghjk wrote:
    >
    >> I use my laptop and close the cover when I move, causing it to sleep.
    >> Often, lately, it will forget exactly what it was doing when it wakes.
    >> IE, some functions of a running program won't work, like voice
    >> recognition of a mapping program or even clicking of the mouse.
    >> Keyboard commands and mouse movement work, I just can't click on
    >> anything in the program - but I can to open other programs or the
    >> start menu, whatever.
    >>
    >> where to look????
    >>
    >> dell inspiron 8200
    >> pentium 4m 1600
    >> win xp pro
    >> 384M memory
    >> 30G drive w/2 partions C: w/1.1G free and D: w/5.3G free
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >After slapping a glass against the adjoining wall and pressing my ear to
    >it I would suggest:
    >
    >Start | My Computer | Local Disk (C:) | right click | Properties
    >
    >Start poking around in General, Tools and Hardware. General: look at how
    >small the magenta slice of the pie is. Aim for at least 15% free disk
    >space. Delete or archive any files you haven't accessed for a few
    >months. A thorough disk defragmentation in Windows XP whatever is
    >usually a good idea, *this cannot be underestimated with M$ product*
    >with a decent disk defragmenter like:
    >http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html
    >or
    >http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp?ad=ewoldk10
    >While you're at it grab:
    >http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
    >Use it.
    >*Bookmark this place*
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/
    >Performance tools are useful, particularly PageDefrag. Bluescreen.scr is
    >also a hoot. Nearly as good as the Linux BSOD screen saver. Just be
    >aware that most of the tools on the SysInternals site are command
    >line/prompt utilities.
    >BTW I've just re-installed WinXP and all the stuff not included with the
    >WinXP installation disk you pay good money for. It seems like its taken
    >a week, 45 reboots and at least 17 hours of file defragmentation just to
    >get the bugger to work like *any version* of a Linux distribution out of
    >the box. Time to make a new disk image with the new HW and SW.
    >Just for the sake of some recreational gaming.
     
    dfghjk, May 8, 2004
    #3
  4. dfghjk

    Parko Guest

    dfghjk wrote:

    > I have about 20% free on each partition and I use diskeeper to defrag.
    > I have also set max folders reg entry to something like 8000.
    >
    > I just seems to keep forgetting things.
    > Just now I was transfering files from DT to LT then I went to sync an
    > application and the network was gone. I had to play with the settings
    > again to get it back.
    >
    >
    >
    > On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:43:18 GMT, Parko <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>dfghjk wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I use my laptop and close the cover when I move, causing it to sleep.
    >>>Often, lately, it will forget exactly what it was doing when it wakes.
    >>>IE, some functions of a running program won't work, like voice
    >>>recognition of a mapping program or even clicking of the mouse.
    >>>Keyboard commands and mouse movement work, I just can't click on
    >>>anything in the program - but I can to open other programs or the
    >>>start menu, whatever.
    >>>
    >>>where to look????
    >>>
    >>>dell inspiron 8200
    >>>pentium 4m 1600
    >>>win xp pro
    >>>384M memory
    >>>30G drive w/2 partions C: w/1.1G free and D: w/5.3G free
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >>
    >>After slapping a glass against the adjoining wall and pressing my ear to
    >>it I would suggest:
    >>
    >>Start | My Computer | Local Disk (C:) | right click | Properties
    >>
    >>Start poking around in General, Tools and Hardware. General: look at how
    >>small the magenta slice of the pie is. Aim for at least 15% free disk
    >>space. Delete or archive any files you haven't accessed for a few
    >>months. A thorough disk defragmentation in Windows XP whatever is
    >>usually a good idea, *this cannot be underestimated with M$ product*
    >>with a decent disk defragmenter like:
    >>http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html
    >>or
    >>http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp?ad=ewoldk10
    >>While you're at it grab:
    >>http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
    >>Use it.
    >>*Bookmark this place*
    >>http://www.sysinternals.com/
    >>Performance tools are useful, particularly PageDefrag. Bluescreen.scr is
    >>also a hoot. Nearly as good as the Linux BSOD screen saver. Just be
    >>aware that most of the tools on the SysInternals site are command
    >>line/prompt utilities.
    >>BTW I've just re-installed WinXP and all the stuff not included with the
    >>WinXP installation disk you pay good money for. It seems like its taken
    >>a week, 45 reboots and at least 17 hours of file defragmentation just to
    >>get the bugger to work like *any version* of a Linux distribution out of
    >>the box. Time to make a new disk image with the new HW and SW.
    >>Just for the sake of some recreational gaming.

    >
    >

    Ok then, try RegScrubXP from here:
    http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?download=1&ID=1610
    Its safe, it works and its Free Software. Then run Regopt from one of
    the previous links I provided. Otherwise you've got corrupt system files
    and a fresh install might be in order

    --
    Parko.
    Still undergoing a temporary lapse of sanity using Windows XP.
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Defenestrate Windows!
     
    Parko, May 9, 2004
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. HotRod

    Wake on LAN "REMOTE WAKE"???

    HotRod, May 17, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    20,849
    Malke
    May 18, 2005
  2. Martin Jakob

    PIX forgetting Certificates

    Martin Jakob, Nov 6, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,330
    Martin Jakob
    Nov 7, 2003
  3. S.V.Proff
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    437
    The Real Bev
    Jun 11, 2004
  4. Jonathan
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    569
    Jonathan
    Jul 17, 2005
  5. Netman

    Wake on LAN / Wake on WAN - how to do it?

    Netman, Oct 28, 2011, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,121
    Netman
    Oct 28, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page